American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Maybe I'm putting words into his mouth, but I read it that he was supporting Rodgers' contention that he would have chosen differently if he had a choice, and it was a pity it (the game) came down to that.

a) He wasn't entitled to a rethrow. the first throw was legal
b) If he won the toss, there was no guarantee they would score a TD
c) His defence left Larry Fitz completely open.

Clov

I don't see the contradiction between those two positions though.

If he had the chance to choose again he would changed his call, for the reasons David outlined (It's possible he /the packers were aware of this research though unlikely - in any case it seems the rationale thing to do given the evidence).

And at the same time one can recognise that a) b) and c) are all true.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

But the implication, or at least my inference, is that *had* they been allowed change their call, they would have won the game, because it all came down to that. That's the part of his statement I think is pathetic.

Clov

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2016, 01:57:16 PM
But the implication, or at least my inference, is that *had* they been allowed change their call, they would have won the game, because it all came down to that. That's the part of his statement I think is pathetic.

David or Rodgers? I agree that Rodgers come's across a bit sour in his statement. I took David to be making an interesting (if slightly tongue-in-cheek) statistical / game theory point.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

screenexile

Jaysus lads I can' believe ye are actually arguing the toss!!!!

What about this weekend?? It's hard to look past a Pats/Panthers Superbowl especially given how poor Arizona were last week.

Unfortunately I'll miss the later game which will probably be the better of the 2.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clov on January 22, 2016, 02:03:46 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2016, 01:57:16 PM

David or Rodgers? I agree that Rodgers come's across a bit sour in his statement. I took David to be making an interesting (if slightly tongue-in-cheek) statistical / game theory point.

Rodgers. But I think David is lending too much weight to the coin toss theory.

As for this weekend, I'm sure Panthers and Patriots are well deserved favourites. The Cardinals would have to play a lot better. They are capable of that though, but they need to keep Palmer upright. Jared Allen's broken foot might help there.

Clov

I think both games will be very close, with the AFC lower scoring. I actually fancy the Broncos, though they will need a big game from their pass rush and whoever they put on Gronk.
I also fancy the Cards, think their offense matches up quite well against the panthers. Could be a game for the ages that one.

AZOffaly

I don't like the Cards Defense against Newton and Olson. They've struggled against TEs in the last few years, and if they try to pressure Newton, they won't be able to bring him down if he gets out of the pocket.

stew

New England will batter the league's best defensive unit, they have two great wide receivers and Brink who is unstoppable.

If the Pats stuff the line game over, Manning has no arm left and cannot leave the pocket, New England in a blowout 31- 10.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

The Iceman

big weekend ahead - two great matchups though i'll be more interested in Panthers v cardinals
good luck AZoffaly - after the last game I'm hoping they go all the way
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 22, 2016, 05:01:52 PM
I don't like the Cards Defense against Newton and Olson. They've struggled against TEs in the last few years, and if they try to pressure Newton, they won't be able to bring him down if he gets out of the pocket.

Cam is the best QB against the blitz this year so Arians will have to be more disciplined to have a chance. He's finding the holes when teams rush at him.

AZOffaly

Exactly. They have to play blitz contain if they are coming.

gallsman

Think I read something about Cam's QBR dropping to 27th in league once out of the pocket. Will try and dig it out.

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on January 22, 2016, 09:27:55 PM

Think I read something about Cam's QBR dropping to 27th in league once out of the pocket. Will try and dig it out.

Wrong side of the field. The panthers defense held opposing QBs to a league lowest QBR in the pocket this season but plummeted to 27th when the QB got out of it.

Oraisteach

Cleveland Cavaliers fire coach David Blatt, even with the team's 30-11 record.  The Cavs have won 11 of their last 13, but the two losses were against the league's elite, Golden State and San Antonio.  Maybe this will light a fire under the Eastern league-leading team.