American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That's what I've been most impressed with. He's standing tall and throwing lasers this year, and when you factor in his running threat, that's a tough combination to defend against. That said, If Carolina come up against a team with a really good back 7, and spy him with a middle linebacker, that's where they might come undone. They don't have massive weapons, so a good defensive backfield might take away the throw, and then it becomes about containing the run.

He is probably MVP this year though, in fairness to him. Him or Brady.

magpie seanie

Surely the most valuable player in the NFL is clearly Jordy Nelson!

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 30, 2015, 09:23:50 AM
Surely the most valuable player in the NFL is clearly Jordy Nelson!

Ha ha. Yeah, I could play QB for the Packers with Nelson there :)

Lucky, poxy, win for the Cardinals last night. They were abject. Looked completely flat, and the Niners gave them their fill of it. There are 4 or 5 good receivers on the Cardinals team, but they could not get open yesterday. Palmer was holding and holding looking, but there was nobody getting open apart from Fitz. Great performance by the Niners defence. In fact I thought they got robbed by the refs. Arizona has to be an awful lot better than this, or it will be a very short post season assuming they get there.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on November 30, 2015, 08:18:36 AM
Remember all the talk about Cam v Knaep after that playoff game a while back? Knaep supporters looking a little silly now.

Cam killing it with very little to support him on offense. Really good defence but Cam is their MVP by a mile. Best mobile QB of the current generation by some distance for me - partly thanks to the fact he's built like a tank. Starting to show real composure in the pocket too which should frighten opponents.

What do you want? At the time Kap was clearly playing the better stuff. Much to his credit, Newton has really stepped up this year, especially after losing Benjamin in preseason.

Clov

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 30, 2015, 09:15:04 AM
That's what I've been most impressed with. He's standing tall and throwing lasers this year, and when you factor in his running threat, that's a tough combination to defend against. That said, If Carolina come up against a team with a really good back 7, and spy him with a middle linebacker, that's where they might come undone. They don't have massive weapons, so a good defensive backfield might take away the throw, and then it becomes about containing the run.

The Cardinals, perchance?
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

Clov

The refereeing in the Niners cards games last night was comically bad. The Niners got hosed on the Cards winning drive.

I know there is more scrutiny than ever on refereeing but it does feel that it has been especially bad this year.

This is for Syferus:

"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clov on November 30, 2015, 12:38:23 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 30, 2015, 09:15:04 AM

The Cardinals, perchance?

Maybe, but the Cardinals give up chunk plays as well. They are good, but they don't operate at that level all the time. It probably is a bad matchup for Carolina alright though.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clov on November 30, 2015, 12:43:25 PM
The refereeing in the Niners cards games last night was comically bad. The Niners got hosed on the Cards winning drive.

I know there is more scrutiny than ever on refereeing but it does feel that it has been especially bad this year.

This is for Syferus:

It was shocking. The time when they didn't know whether it was second, third or fourth down was cat. Some of the calls against San Francisco were brutal. Now I know the niners were probably hanging on for dear life at times, in the secondary, but I don't think half the calls were merited. The one you're probably talking about, the personal foul one, was also very harsh but I suppose he did hit Palmer in the facemask with his helmet.

Clov

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 30, 2015, 01:01:06 PM
Quote from: Clov on November 30, 2015, 12:43:25 PM

This is for Syferus:

It was shocking. The time when they didn't know whether it was second, third or fourth down was cat. Some of the calls against San Francisco were brutal. Now I know the niners were probably hanging on for dear life at times, in the secondary, but I don't think half the calls were merited. The one you're probably talking about, the personal foul one, was also very harsh but I suppose he did hit Palmer in the facemask with his helmet.

I thought the roughing the passer on Dial was the wrong call - but then i was looking at it from the defenders point of view. What else are you supposed to do on that play? Head up, hit him square in the chest. Often the QB's subtly dip into the tackle on those sorts of play, bringing their head into contact. Anyway, it was a huge call in the context of the game as it went from 3rd and long to first down with good field position.

I'd say that was the Card's worst offensive performance of the season but i think they'll bounce back.

AZOffaly

It looked very similar to the game they lost in Pittsburgh. Dominating possession (although the niners had more yards) and having good field position but not scoring Touchdowns. Lack of urgency and a passive run blocking performance by the O-Line. Now I think that might be the Niners best defensive game of the year. They were active and swarming and hitting hard, but Arizona has to be more clinical than that, and receivers have to get open. No matter how good you think you are, if you're covered you're not getting the ball. Unless you are Larry Fitz.

Worried about the running back injuries now too. Hopefully at least one of the two are ok.

On the hit, I see where you are coming from, and I don't think he meant it at all, but his helmet definitely hit Palmers face guard. His chin strap ended up stuck to his nose :)

I thought the John Brown call where they made the Niners take a penalty was cat. That was out of bounds, and they flagged him for illegal touching, but he wasn't back in before he caught it properly, it should have just been incomplete. And then there was an offensive pass interference call which was completely rubbish as well. The niners were certainly very hard done by.

cadhlancian

The officiating in the Pats Broncos came was also awful. 3 very poor calls all against the pats in the last 3 minutes and one in OT...

Club Rossa

Cleveland will be absolutely sick at how they lost that game last night :o

AZOffaly

If the Browns can find a way to lose, they usually do. The fact that Manziel was relegated to third string after going out on the tear (apparently) didn't help matters when McCown went down.

Penultimate College Football Rankings out tonight. I presume it will be 1 - Clemson, 2 - Alabama, 3 - Oklahoma 4 - Iowa/Michigan State 5 Michigan State/Iowa

And unless Clemson lose to UNC or Alabama lose to Florida, then the final four will be made of up the top three and the winner between Iowa and Sparty.

What odds on the Tar Heels or Gators to cause chaos?

gallsman

It was almost painful to watch. They must be utterly fed up of the pity everyone feels for them.

Don't think there was an "apparently" about it AZ. Was he not snapped/filmed dancing with bottles of champagne back in College Station. Such a moron, as in his previous game he'd started to show some real glimpses of the talent that got him drafted so high.

AZOffaly

Apparently on the tear I meant. He was certainly out and about :)