American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 27, 2015, 06:55:31 PM
Iowa in at #4, a half point favorite against Nebraska today! Nebraska have a losing record....

Won by 8, and a comfortable 8, on the road. They just keep winning. If they win next weekend they are in, if they lose they are out. A quarter final really, especially if it is sparty.

Oraisteach

I, of course, am hoping for a double miracle: Ohio State over Ichigan and the Nitany Lions over the Spartans.

Syferus

Iron Bowl time again. Despite a blip the Tide have remained the most consistent force in college football. Saban has so many advantages in his favour but the job he's done has made him perhaps the greatest college coach of all-time, all coming from the best conference in football where any deficiency is regularly and brutally exposed.

Auburn have been erratic to say the least, from hammerings to LSU to going to College Station while A&M were nationally ranked and running away with it. Jeremy Johnson was a bust at QB to start the season and it led to a rough start and barely got any better when they threw White, a freshman, into the starting slot but Johnson has shown more now he's got a second chance at starting. Apart from the LSU game Auburn have managed to remain competitive in all the other big games this year so hopefully a blow-out isn't on the cards.

The Iron Bowl is at Jordan-Hare this year and Auburn probably needed that because whatever hope they have they would have none in Tuscaloosa. Hopeful for a game that's as magnetic as the last two but it's hard to look past a comfortable Bama win. Anything else would make the 2013 Iron Bowl seem like a small upset.

Really have to go to this game some year, the atmosphere must be incredible.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on November 27, 2015, 07:25:18 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on November 27, 2015, 05:31:07 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 27, 2015, 09:19:34 AM
Have a bit of that medicine fudge fans! Favre and Cutler outshine poor ould Aaron!

Wrecked tired all day but it was worth it ;D ;D ;D!!!!! Da Bearz taking it home on the night the retired Farve's number in Lambeau , it doesn't get much sweeter than that!!! Nearly had a heart attack for the last 2 and a half mins of the game though!!!

Really, that result is fleeting, Farve's destruction of your beloved Bears is immortal, as is his standing in the game and in the Hall Of Fame.

Every squirrel finds an acorn and I would like to congratulate Cutler on his second win in twelve tries against a beat to crap Aaron Rodgers!

The Packers have slow WR's who cannot get open, Rodgers needs to start slinging screens and slants and add in the odd trick play because this crew cannot hold onto the ball at speed, they are killing him and the team as a whole.

I expect them to bounce back and win the Division, Nelson is a huge loss but I think they will be alright.

Excuses as usual for St Aaron. What's this "beat to crap" stuff? Faking injury again if you ask me. Trying to get extra protection from the officials, he's shrewd! Every team has injuries. Bears have had a slew of injuries to receivers in case you hadn't noticed but they've got on with it.

Favre was of course a great, great player but you think he's a sc**bag. Twice the man Rodgers ever will be, tough as nails.

Oraisteach

42-13Ohio State stuffs Michigan in the Big House in front of 112,000. At last, the Buckeyes play like defending national champions. Now, let's pull an upset, Penn State.

redzone

Who should we be looking out for in the iron bowl. Who is Gona be the big star player in the nfl

Oraisteach

Don't know the Auburn team very well, but I'd say Alabama has a good few players who'll be picked early, including RB Derrick Henry, LB Reggie Ragland, DE Jonathan Allen and DT A'Shawn Robinson. 

Kidder81

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 28, 2015, 01:05:39 PM
Quote from: stew on November 27, 2015, 07:25:18 PM
Quote from: Crete Boom on November 27, 2015, 05:31:07 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on November 27, 2015, 09:19:34 AM
Have a bit of that medicine fudge fans! Favre and Cutler outshine poor ould Aaron!

Wrecked tired all day but it was worth it ;D ;D ;D!!!!! Da Bearz taking it home on the night the retired Farve's number in Lambeau , it doesn't get much sweeter than that!!! Nearly had a heart attack for the last 2 and a half mins of the game though!!!

Really, that result is fleeting, Farve's destruction of your beloved Bears is immortal, as is his standing in the game and in the Hall Of Fame.

Every squirrel finds an acorn and I would like to congratulate Cutler on his second win in twelve tries against a beat to crap Aaron Rodgers!

The Packers have slow WR's who cannot get open, Rodgers needs to start slinging screens and slants and add in the odd trick play because this crew cannot hold onto the ball at speed, they are killing him and the team as a whole.

I expect them to bounce back and win the Division, Nelson is a huge loss but I think they will be alright.

Excuses as usual for St Aaron. What's this "beat to crap" stuff? Faking injury again if you ask me. Trying to get extra protection from the officials, he's shrewd! Every team has injuries. Bears have had a slew of injuries to receivers in case you hadn't noticed but they've got on with it.

Favre was of course a great, great player but you think he's a sc**bag. Twice the man Rodgers ever will be, tough as nails.

Don't think their careers will be comparable by the time Rodgers is done. Favre threw far too many interceptions trying to be the hero.

magpie seanie

Yeah. He should have thrown the ball away and blamed his receivers.

gallsman

Seanie, obviously you're a Bears fan but your vitriol towards Rogers borders on the levels of vitriol stew has for pretty much everything. Claiming Favre was a great man? He was a great, albeit flawed, quarterback and football player, but as a man he was less than admirable.

Plenty of links have been posted here supporting the claim of Rogers to be a great quarterback and on the road to an all time historical position. Other than the fact you don't like the packers, what exactly is your issue with him.

magpie seanie

I don't think that's fair. Several times I have stated that Rodgers is a great quarterback - it's just I think he gets an easy ride from the media and fans. I see things about him that I don't like but most ignore them. I think he is a little lacking in the gut department also to be honest. Regarding injuries - I'm from a school where you never let anyone know you were hurt. If you couldn't play, you didn't but you didn't make a show of yourself hobbling round, looking for attention. Part of me says - "fair play to him, it works" because he (and his receivers) gets extra protection from officials and it's all about winning. I also believe his (and McCarthy's) arrogance has been the downfall of the Packers in recent years but no one points this out. The year the won the SB iirc they played away all through the playoffs. Their style of play is not suited to cold/wet weather but they seem to think - we're so good we can do it anyway.

My reference about Favre is only football related. I know little (and care less) about his off field activities. I'd prefer to have him on my side in a battle, that's for sure.

Agai - well aware I'm in a minority on this but can't see I'm wrong tbh.

(Reaches for helmet.....)

heganboy

Notre Dame blew it last night. Close but no cigar.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

cadhlancian

Could be all over for the Pats, that injury to Gronk doesn't look good. f**k me, but they've been decimated by injuries...

gallsman

Kobe retiring at the end of the season. About time.

Syferus

Remember all the talk about Cam v Knaep after that playoff game a while back? Knaep supporters looking a little silly now.

Cam killing it with very little to support him on offense. Really good defence but Cam is their MVP by a mile. Best mobile QB of the current generation by some distance for me - partly thanks to the fact he's built like a tank. Starting to show real composure in the pocket too which should frighten opponents.