American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2015, 07:09:50 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 09, 2015, 03:32:52 PM
Knicks still dubious, but Kris Porzingis, their pick from the last draft is already special.  He's the steal of the draft, and if he avoids injury, will be a great player.

Yeah, he looks fantastic. New York will ruin him though.

Doubt it.   More likely they trade him for a  star player past his best.

cadhlancian

Regarding Rodgers, and btw, I think he's a great QB. He has ZERO wins on the road against teams with a winning record from 2012!! He's nowhere close to Brady in terms of leadership of his team. A good few sources indicating that himself and McCarthy aren't dying about each other. Past Packers like Jennings , Findlay and Jennings all less than complimentary.

stew

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 10, 2015, 08:06:07 PM
Regarding Rodgers, and btw, I think he's a great QB. He has ZERO wins on the road against teams with a winning record from 2012!! He's nowhere close to Brady in terms of leadership of his team. A good few sources indicating that himself and McCarthy aren't dying about each other. Past Packers like Jennings , Findlay and Jennings all less than complimentary.

Jennings is a douchebag, always was around town, Rodgers made him look better than he was, Rodgers is very popular with the players and Findlay loved him right up until the point he couldnt catch the ball anymore, Rodgers lost faith in him and he should have.

McCarthy is a poor coach, he is far too predictable and Rodgers should be calling his own plays at this stage if he knows what is coming, just like Manning and Brady.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 09, 2015, 11:05:18 PM
Quote from: gallsman on November 09, 2015, 07:09:50 PM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on November 09, 2015, 03:32:52 PM
Knicks still dubious, but Kris Porzingis, their pick from the last draft is already special.  He's the steal of the draft, and if he avoids injury, will be a great player.

Yeah, he looks fantastic. New York will ruin him though.

Doubt it.   More likely they trade him for a  star player past his best.

Ha, maybe. The Zen master could bring Kobe to New York and force KP into the triangle with him and Melo. Kobe and Melo could lure teams in by shooting bricks at 30% all night and then bang, just when they get lulled into a false sense of security, KP takes over.

magpie seanie

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 10, 2015, 08:06:07 PM

Careful Cadhlacian. you're not allowed to criticise the great one.

magpie seanie

Watched most of the Bears/Chargers game the other night. Two pretty mediocre teams but I'm a little encouraged by the improvement in the Bears. They're not a joke any more but still a long way off being competitive with the better teams. There's a good ethic about them as you'd expect John Fox to bring. Gase seems to have Cutler doing well enough. Guy has a rocket arm but is just a bit inaccurate at times. Will he be kept for next year? It's debatable now. He might just be worth holding on to. Pernell McPhee didn't really register on the stat sheet but he had a big game. Constantly double teamed he kept at it and created the opportunity that a fresh Lamarr Houton capitalised on to end the game with 2 sacks. He's a top acquisition. Will be a long term project, building through the draft but encouraging signs.

Poor old Rivers has men falling by the wayside all round him. I have him on one fantasy team and it's a great scenario - no run game, crap defense, has to throw all the time. Real life - not so good.

cadhlancian

Stew, let's get this straight , I think Rodgers is a great QB. End of story. However, despite what you say, he's not as popular in the dressing room as one might think, and very few players who left Indy,Pats or Denver ever called out Brady or Manning. Mike McCarthy is widely acknowledged as being one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. Any correlation between him not calling the plays this year and a drop in Rodgers production? Also , ONE road win against over 500 teams since 2012 is a damming statistic. Even more damming is TWO playoff wins total since the 2011 SB, one against the mighty Joe Webb and the other when Dallas got robbed in Lambeau last year....

Minder

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 11, 2015, 09:26:03 PM
Stew, let's get this straight , I think Rodgers is a great QB. End of story. However, despite what you say, he's not as popular in the dressing room as one might think, and very few players who left Indy,Pats or Denver ever called out Brady or Manning. Mike McCarthy is widely acknowledged as being one of the best offensive minds in the NFL. Any correlation between him not calling the plays this year and a drop in Rodgers production? Also , ONE road win against over 500 teams since 2012 is a damming statistic. Even more damming is TWO playoff wins total since the 2011 SB, one against the mighty Joe Webb and the other when Dallas got robbed in Lambeau last year....

I am not a Packers fan but I think Rodgers in a great QB and will be viewed in the top 5 of all time when he is finished. You can't use W/L as a QB stat, there are too many other variables, running game, defence, special teams. A recent example is the NFC title game last year, McCarthy was at fault there with his conservative play calling, and obviously Bostick making a balls of the onside kick.

As for McCarthy being a great offensive mind, I dunno about that, he certainly isn't a great head coach. It's a lot easier with someone like Rodgers throwing to Jordy Nelson. Whoever is calling the plays this year isn't helping

By the way Rodgers isn't playing at last years level but he still has 19 TD 3 INT & a QB rating of 108.2

If Mc Carthy doesent sort out the D it won't matter who is playing QB

I thought this was interesting

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/11/10/all-22-aaron-rodgers-packers-mike-mccarthy

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cadhlancian

Good article alright. I would disagree slightly regarding w/l's as an indicator of greatness. Manning was average in the playoffs, Brady is different class. That is what essentially separates them. He beat the Vikings backup and should have lost to the Cowboys at home last year. I actually backed the Packers at +450 against Seattle last year , so don't start me on that!😁😁
Do you think his playoff record is good? Rest assured, his playoff record will determine if he makes that top 5 all time list...

gawa316

Warriors picked up where they left off last year, absolutely whooping teams. Curry on another planet at the minute and to think he's the oldest starter at the minute at 27, Ezeli (who has stepped it up) is 26, Thompson 26, Green 25 and Barnes 23. This team could dominate for years, I guess if nobody gets too greedy.

Forgot to add 6 of their 9 wins have come against play off teams from last year. Game against the Clippers was superb.

gallsman

Quote from: gawa316 on November 12, 2015, 05:19:31 AM
Warriors picked up where they left off last year, absolutely whooping teams. Curry on another planet at the minute and to think he's the oldest starter at the minute at 27, Ezeli (who has stepped it up) is 26, Thompson 26, Green 25 and Barnes 23. This team could dominate for years, I guess if nobody gets too greedy.

Forgot to add 6 of their 9 wins have come against play off teams from last year. Game against the Clippers was superb.

Thompson and Draymond both signed in the last year. The NBA cap jumps enormously, twice, in the next three years or so. They'll be fine.

Minder

Quote from: cadhlancian on November 12, 2015, 03:05:21 AM
Good article alright. I would disagree slightly regarding w/l's as an indicator of greatness. Manning was average in the playoffs, Brady is different class. That is what essentially separates them. He beat the Vikings backup and should have lost to the Cowboys at home last year. I actually backed the Packers at +450 against Seattle last year , so don't start me on that!😁😁
Do you think his playoff record is good? Rest assured, his playoff record will determine if he makes that top 5 all time list...

I just don't see W/L as a reliable gauge for an individual player in the NFL, looking at Rodgers stats in playoff games he has 23TD 7INT & a QB rating of 101, it's not as if he is getting into the playoffs and going to pieces, like Manning has done for example.

We will have to wait until his career is finished on this argument, he is only 31 but for some people to say he is over rated (not you) is just insane when you look at his stats.

Rodgers is tied 25th in career pass TDs

He is tied *205th* in career INTs

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/10/31/aaron-rodgers-green-bay-packers-quarterback-analytics

Obviously stats aren't everything but they tell you a lot
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Norf Tyrone

Vikings win and Packers lose. What a good Sunday. Really,  really sets up next Sunday.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

stew

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on November 16, 2015, 12:14:57 AM
Vikings win and Packers lose. What a good Sunday. Really,  really sets up next Sunday.

The packers are in free-fall but should right the ship as I cannot see Rodgers losing four in a row.

The vikings have, in the fairly recent past........... Been involved in a love boat that embarrassed the club, their roof caved in at the metrodome, they forgot to send in their first round draft pick and they killed a player because they refused to ltt the players drink in 80% weather because they claimed it was a sign of weakness, one last thing, one of their number was charged and convicted of drugging and raping multiple women in the past year and a half.

The vikings are one of the worst run organizations in the country!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl