American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Congrats to Texas governor* Greg Abbott (R)*8 for putting the mockers on the Astros when they were 6-2 up at the top of the 8th and poised to reach the ALCS:

*It was really someone in his office, fair play to him for the good-humoured tweet on his personal account about it.
**For stew's benefit, I'll make sure to track down a similar clanger by a Communist Democrat.

AZOffaly

Some shitehawking at the Toronto - Texas game 5 as well. It was tied at 2-2 in the 7th, when the Toronto catcher went to throw the ball back to the pitcher and the Texas batter accidentally (I think it really was accidental) got in the way and the ball deflected off his bat and rolled along the ground. This made it a 'live' ball, and the Rangers scored to go up 3-2. The crowd went a bit buck mad, and started firing stuff onto the field (harmless stuff like plastic bottles and rubbish, not el Classico stuff like pigs heads and motorbikes). The game was held up for ages, but the umpires and review guys eventually upheld the call and the run stood.

Luckily for MLB the Blue Jays went on to have a big bottom half of the 7th and won the game anyway (helped by some atrocious fielding in that half of the inning by the Rangers. Maybe they were guilty) but MLB dodged a bullet there if the Rangers held on to win 3-2.

I'd say our resident Toronto resident, Gab, was in the middle firing out abuse and bottles at the blues :)

declan85

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2015, 10:14:22 AM
Some shitehawking at the Toronto - Texas game 5 as well. It was tied at 2-2 in the 7th, when the Toronto catcher went to throw the ball back to the pitcher and the Texas batter accidentally (I think it really was accidental) got in the way and the ball deflected off his bat and rolled along the ground. This made it a 'live' ball, and the Rangers scored to go up 3-2. The crowd went a bit buck mad, and started firing stuff onto the field (harmless stuff like plastic bottles and rubbish, not el Classico stuff like pigs heads and motorbikes). The game was held up for ages, but the umpires and review guys eventually upheld the call and the run stood.

Luckily for MLB the Blue Jays went on to have a big bottom half of the 7th and won the game anyway (helped by some atrocious fielding in that half of the inning by the Rangers. Maybe they were guilty) but MLB dodged a bullet there if the Rangers held on to win 3-2.

I'd say our resident Toronto resident, Gab, was in the middle firing out abuse and bottles at the blues :)

Watched all of this last night, unbelievable game (Jays fan :)). The refs done brilliant and made the right call on the Rangers 3rd run in what was turning into a pretty hostile atmosphere. Rangers threw it away in the bottom of the 7th, they could have had 6 outs in the inning but 3 back to back errors loaded the bases with no outs.
Ill have Bautistas home run on repeat for a while :)

Canalman

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 14, 2015, 12:25:00 PM
Chicago will go into meltdown if the Cubs won.

Went to see them play back in the day. Lovely grounds, nice part of the city, fell asleep half way through the game.

Much better fun at a Mets game. More ahem vocal fans, some being throw out of the grounds. Pitch situated in a godawful part of the city. Have had a soft spot for them since.

White Sox pitch in a rough area as well.

AZOffaly

I went to see the Cubs at Wrigley field as well, sat out in the Bleachers behind the Ivy wall. They were playing Detroit in Interleague, it was great craic.

deiseach

Quote from: Canalman on October 15, 2015, 01:21:17 PM
Much better fun at a Mets game. More ahem vocal fans, some being throw out of the grounds. Pitch situated in a godawful part of the city. Have had a soft spot for them since.

American sports seemed to be filled with lovable losers, as opposed to, uh, losers. See this in Futurama (for the uninitiated, Futurama is set in the 31st century):

AZOffaly

Hmmm. I dunno deiseach. I support it depends on circumstance. The Cubs are a kind of cuddly, harmless auld bunch, so maybe that's why they are loveable losers. The Mets, I'm not sure they're that lovable.

Teams like the Bengals wouldn't be that lovable, but the Browns probably are.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 14, 2015, 12:37:04 PM
I saw where there was some online appeal to get him NLDS tickets or something. The poor hoor was on a hit list for years!

Buckner the same for the Red Sox.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on October 15, 2015, 02:48:58 PM
I saw where there was some online appeal to get him NLDS tickets or something. The poor hoor was on a hit list for years!

At least Buckner played! This poor gobdaw was sitting in the stands with his headphones on and the big sad head on him.

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2015, 02:49:48 PM
Quote from: stew on October 15, 2015, 02:48:58 PM

At least Buckner played! This poor gobdaw was sitting in the stands with his headphones on and the big sad head on him.

ESPN did a really good short documentary as part of the "30 for 30" series called Catching Hell about the whole incident. He was one of 3-4 lads that tried to catch the ball, unlucky to actually get it. Typical Cub's fans anyway, looking for something other than a crap team to blame for loosing. 
In someways the long wait for the World Series is part of the appeal of the club, if they win then that appeal is gone (like Boston's wait).

Anyway, Giants are due to be back to win next year, always seem to take a year off  :D

AZOffaly

True that. That documentary was very sad. Even now, he has never been back to Wrigley Field.

And you are right, the players and organisation pointed out they were still winning when that happened, and it didn't lead to the implosion that night, or the next night. It was a pathetic reaction from the fans.

By the way, where are my Superbowl Tickets?

Muck Savage

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2015, 04:07:24 PM
True that. That documentary was very sad. Even now, he has never been back to Wrigley Field.

And you are right, the players and organisation pointed out they were still winning when that happened, and it didn't lead to the implosion that night, or the next night. It was a pathetic reaction from the fans.

By the way, where are my Superbowl Tickets?

Working it :)

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2015, 10:14:22 AMI'd say our resident Toronto resident, Gab, was in the middle firing out abuse and bottles at the blues :)

Not me - I'll be there for the ALCS games though

Gabriel_Hurl

deiseach

What the hell? What position does no 8 play?