American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

That was almost scripted last night. How many times has he faced Manning, and never picked him off, then last night, in probably their second last meeting ever, he goes and does it. Both came into the league 17 years ago!

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 12, 2015, 11:16:32 AM
That was almost scripted last night. How many times has he faced Manning, and never picked him off, then last night, in probably their second last meeting ever, he goes and does it. Both came into the league 17 years ago!

He is the classiest man in the NFL and was brilliant when he was with the packers and he was a better man off the field than on it, he owns a vineyard in California and the wine is deadly, and expensive.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Club Rossa

Some finish in San Diego last night.Gutsy call from Tomlin to go for it when the field goal would have tied the game.
Sounded like a home game for the Steelers,terrible towels everywhere.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Club Rossa on October 13, 2015, 10:48:38 AM
Some finish in San Diego last night.Gutsy call from Tomlin to go for it when the field goal would have tied the game.
Sounded like a home game for the Steelers,terrible towels everywhere.

Stuart Lancaster and Chris Robshaw are at home shaking their heads now.

Club Rossa

It's a great call when it works out :D

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 07, 2015, 11:53:43 AM
The AFC North?

There's something about the cold weather up there that leads to that sort of thing. I know the Ravens are a rebirth, but if we consider they are a rebirth of the Browns then the rivalries up there must be intense :)

All that said, I still think the pro rivalries don't hold a candle to the NCAA football rivalries. Michigan Ohio State, Auburn Alabama, Notre Dame USC, not to mind all the various Arizona/Arizona State, Georgia-Georgia Tech, UCLA-USC, Stanford-Cal, Intra state rivalries. (I know Auburn and Alabama are in the same state, but that transcends intra state level.

I would agree with one exception, the packers Bears rivalry is absolutely tremendous.

I was invited to a party about ten years ago at a home just across from Lambeau field, so we show up and have a beer and I am looking forward to going to the game, fans are walking by in their hundreds and there are a bunch of people there I did not know, no problem, then this monster shows up hammered and invites a couple of Bear fans up onto the elevated deck, he hands them a beer and then he grabs one of them and throws him over the deck, holding him by the ankles, I near shit myself because I thought the big hoor was going to drop him, yer man was screaming as he was 20ft off the ground and my mate, who invited me over tells me not to worry because, "he does this to a Bear fan every year" Finally he hauled him back in and all was well but it made for an interesting start to proceedings.

AZOffaly

Lunatic!

On another note, very significant week in college coaching ranks. Steve Sarkesian first suspended and then sacked from USC in 24 hours for turning up in no fit state a couple of times this year.

Then one of the most celebrated coaches, the Head Ball Coach, Steve spurrier decides to call it a day with immediate effect from south Carolina with the gamecocks at 2-4. He's a massive loss to NCAA Football if he stays retired.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2015, 07:42:28 PM
Lunatic!

On another note, very significant week in college coaching ranks. Steve Sarkesian first suspended and then sacked from USC in 24 hours for turning up in no fit state a couple of times this year.

Then one of the most celebrated coaches, the Head Ball Coach, Steve spurrier decides to call it a day with immediate effect from south Carolina with the gamecocks at 2-4. He's a massive loss to NCAA Football if he stays retired.

Wow, it is probably time, the ole ball coach is up there and he is not one for losing seasons.

tremendous coach, an all time great for sure.

deiseach

'This is our year' for the Cubs?

AZOffaly

In 1989, The Chicago Cubs had been 81 years since winning a World Series. Now they are 107 years without winning one, and haven't appeared in a World Series since the end of WWII

In 1989, Back to the Future II was made, and they 'flew' to 2015, where they showed a hologram news item saying the Cubs had won the world series by sweeping Miami (Miami didn't have a team then, and now they are in the NAtional league, so that bit is off).

This is 2015, and guess who is in the semi final series? Yep, that's right. Where's my hoverboard?

magpie seanie

Chicago will go into meltdown if the Cubs won.

AZOffaly

There won't be violence like it since Al Capone. (Who came after the Cubbies last World Series!)

Club Rossa

As long as they're able to keep Steve Bartman away from Wrigley Field,they've got a chance!

AZOffaly

I saw where there was some online appeal to get him NLDS tickets or something. The poor hoor was on a hit list for years!

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 14, 2015, 12:37:04 PM
I saw where there was some online appeal to get him NLDS tickets or something.

From Mets/Dodgers fans?