American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

Teflon Tom wins his case against the NFL

QuoteTom Brady's decision to take the Deflategate scandal to federal court has paid off, with a judge ruling that the New England Patriots quarterback's suspension should be overturned.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 03, 2015, 03:23:22 PM
Teflon Tom wins his case against the NFL

QuoteTom Brady's decision to take the Deflategate scandal to federal court has paid off, with a judge ruling that the New England Patriots quarterback's suspension should be overturned.

In one way I am delighted. Roger Goodell is a nutsack.

magpie seanie

I think was up to his neck in it but the evidence was, emm, shaky at best and the suspension too large.

AZOffaly

Probably. But Goodell is an egomaniac, and an idiot who doles out suspensions on what way he thinks the public wind is blowing.

My God. Goodell is on the CCC isn't he?!!

deiseach

Bill Belichick reacts joyfully to the news of Tom Brady's suspension being nullified. (h/t)

oakleaflad

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 03, 2015, 03:41:22 PM
Probably. But Goodell is an egomaniac, and an idiot who doles out suspensions on what way he thinks the public wind is blowing.

My God. Goodell is on the CCC isn't he?!!
LOL

Agree with you regarding Goodell but on the other hand think Brady probably did deserve a suspension of some kind.

Oraisteach

HaHa, Deiseach.  In the throes of rapture.

Minder

Quote from: deiseach on September 03, 2015, 03:46:04 PM
Bill Belichick reacts joyfully to the news of Tom Brady's suspension being nullified. (h/t)

On to Pittsburgh
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

David McKeown

I had a problem with the any sort of punishment for Brady when I read the Wells report in the first place. It was poorly conceived from a legal stand point so today's ruling is of little surprise.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Capt Pat

The vikings had a big win over San Diego today 31-14. They are now 2-1. The cowboys collapsed against the Falcons after starting well.

AZOffaly

Jaysus The Cardinals absolutely abused the 49ers yesterday, 47-7. I never thought I'd see the day. I was at the old Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe when Steve Young threw his last ever TD pass, to Jerry Rice, as the 49ers had a very predictable win over the Cards in Monday Night Football (1998 I think). It's hard to credit the climb to respectability this team has had in the last 10-15 years.

At one stage, well into the second half, Kaepernick had 5 completions and 4 interceptions. 2 of the interceptions went for pick 6s. Early days, and the Seahawks are getting the show back on the road, but Arizona looks like a decent team this year again. Hopefully they'll have more luck with injuries than they did last year. Michael Floyd hasn't contributed really either, as he comes back from his thumb injury.

Clov

The Cardinals look good so far AZ but i think as the season progresses this result won't look quite as impressive as the 49ers are shaping up be truly awful. 
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Ah yeah, no doubt. But still, 47-7 for Arizona versus San Francisco is a big deal, from a historic perspective. I think the Cards could win 10 games, and if they do that might get them into the playoffs again.

Clov

If they can keep Palmer healthy then i would give them the edge over the Seahawks in the division race.
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Clov on September 28, 2015, 09:44:16 AM
If they can keep Palmer healthy then i would give them the edge over the Seahawks in the division race.

Keep Palmer healthy, which is not guaranteed with that O-Line (although it has gotten better, the niners got home too often for my liking yesterday). Also they need to have a semblance of a running game, which in fairness they have had thus far. Palmer can throw to 4 or 5 targets if the opposition are at least thinking the Cards might run. C Johnson looked decent yesterday, and D Johnson has shown flashes, although more of an Ellington scat back type. When Ellington comes back, they should have depth there, and they may feel comfortable limiting Ellington's work to try and spare him, because he's made of glass.