American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 25, 2015, 04:38:51 AM
I'm exhausted and I was just sitting in a chair.  Cavs eke out a win.  LeBron had the worst start of his pro career, but we won.  Let's get this series over and recuperate.

He won and got a triple double in the process! LeBron's ability to get out of an in-game slump is remarkable! You'd fear for the Cavs more than ever against GSW. Letting the Hawks run up 111 without Korver and, for most of the game, Horford, does not bode well. LeBron looked absolutely shattered by the end last night too. GSW in 5 I'm going to predict for the finals.

stew

I'm exhausted and I was just sitting in a chair.  Cavs eke out a win.  LeBron had the worst start of his pro career, but we won.  Let's get this series over and recuperate.

LBJ is better than Jordan imho, what he is doing right now has never been done in terms of one player simply willing his team over the line, Jordan always had the likes of Pippen and Rodman but LBJ has no one near that ilk due to injury.

Golden State will probably win it all, but they are going to have to take care of Le Bron, good luck doing that.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: stew on May 25, 2015, 04:34:48 PM

LBJ is better than Jordan imho, what he is doing right now has never been done in terms of one player simply willing his team over the line, Jordan always had the likes of Pippen and Rodman but LBJ has no one near that ilk due to injury.

Golden State will probably win it all, but they are going to have to take care of Le Bron, good luck doing that.

GSW were the best defensive team in the league, they'll manage alright.

LeBron is getting plenty of help, just not from people who'll go down as great players. Despite the loss of Love and Irving, the Cavs couldn't gave dreamed of the Mozgov and JR trades working out any better.

Re LeBron-Jordan, I don't think it's a favourable comparison for LBJ. As incredible as he is, Jordan literally didn't have any faults in his game, other than perhaps being too competitive. Lebron is probably already top five all time and will probably be #2 by the end of it all, but I still think Jordan will reign supreme. If he can somehow drag the Cavs this title, it would match any individual achievement of Jordan I think though.

Oraisteach

Well, the Houston Rockets decided to show up.  Scored 45 points in the first quarter!

Muck Savage

Curry got some bang there.
Very hard to come back after that 1st quarter but tried all the way through. Back to Oakland Wed   
Need to close it out there or I'll get very nervous.

Oraisteach

Wonder if Curry would have been allowed to return if it had been the NFL and the doctors had been neutral.  Boy, it was raining 3-pointers.  Cavs definitely need to close out Atlanta tomorrow if they are to avoid a blow-out by the GSW.  That's some sharp-shooting tea,

gallsman

GSW paid for being complacent early on
Kerr was clearly seething with them. If anything though, will probably help them long term to get a bit of a kick now rather than in the finals.

gallsman

Did not anticipate a sweep for Cleveland. Remarkable for Lebron to be going to fifth straight finals. Irving looked decent last night and a big rest after the sweep will be huge for them in the finals.

Syferus

Refreshing that one of the perennials won't be winning the NBA championship this year. Two teams emerging for different reasons this year. Both great stories.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2015, 12:50:45 PM
Refreshing that one of the perennials won't be winning the NBA championship this year. Two teams emerging for different reasons this year. Both great stories.

Not sure I buy that. Lebron is a perennial and Cleveland is Lebron.

Oraisteach

Very happy that this series did not drag on.  Good to see Kyrie on the court again, but he's still nowhere near the old Kyrie, and in this shape there's no way he'll be able to guard Steph Curry. I don't know how much he'll improve with eight days' rest.  Cleveland has gone so so long without a championship, but with Paddy Power offering GSW at 1/3, it doesn't seem that punters have any faith in a Cavs championship.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 27, 2015, 04:11:27 PM
Very happy that this series did not drag on.  Good to see Kyrie on the court again, but he's still nowhere near the old Kyrie, and in this shape there's no way he'll be able to guard Steph Curry. I don't know how much he'll improve with eight days' rest.  Cleveland has gone so so long without a championship, but with Paddy Power offering GSW at 1/3, it doesn't seem that punters have any faith in a Cavs championship.

Lebron will have to play out of his mind for the Cavs to beat the Warriors but it's certainly possible that he could win a game or two almost by himself. Cavs will need Irving to step it up if they have any hope. He's their only other player who could potentially win a game by himself. You would have to fancy that the Warriors will have far too much depth for them over 7 games though.

Muck Savage

I hope I'm wrong but the Dubs are not in the final yet. Maybe it's all the years of following them and seeing them screw everything up but someone will eventually come back from a 0-3 deficit to win, hope that's not in this series.
Listening to everyone last night talking about a Cavs Warriors final is great locker room material for the Rockets. Let's hope the Warriors close out tonight.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on May 27, 2015, 01:38:37 PM

But Cleveland are the city where titles have had no home for so long. Lebron winning one going home would be an incredible story particularly after 'The Decision'. He could have stayed in Miami if he wanted the easy life and easier titles. That he went home made me respect him even more as a player.

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2015, 06:39:12 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 27, 2015, 01:38:37 PM

But Cleveland are the city where titles have had no home for so long. Lebron winning one going home would be an incredible story particularly after 'The Decision'. He could have stayed in Miami if he wanted the easy life and easier titles. That he went home made me respect him even more as a player.

I get that. Sort of. Miami were done and LeBron knew it. The Spurs should have beaten them in 2013 save for a shot for the ages from Ray Allen (and LeBron obviously) and then beat up on them last year. Wade and, to a lesser extent Bosh, had been creaking for a good while.

Quote from: Oraisteach on May 27, 2015, 04:11:27 PM

Kyrie improved as a defender this year to the point where he was approaching competent but he's still nowhere near the level required to guard Curry. I imagine Shumpert's minutes will go up in the Finals to help out on D.