American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

f**king sickened by that. One minute you're thinking all the talk will be about the ballsy calls Carroll made with the touchdown at the half and the fake field goal against Green Bay, but that was just indefensible. New England,  the colossal pricks, can't believe their luck! But with that play call, Seattle can have no complaints.

J70

gallsman

Quote from: J70 on February 02, 2015, 03:26:12 AM
Worst play call ever?

Not qualified to say but has to be at the very top of the most costly list. Three goes to do it. Three! With Marshawn f**king Lynch!!

David McKeown

Worst play call ever?

As bad as the call was the rookie still needs some credit for making a great play and anticipating the underneath route.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

Quote from: gallsman on February 02, 2015, 03:30:53 AM
Worst play call ever?

Not qualified to say but has to be at the very top of the most costly list. Three goes to do it. Three! With Marshawn f**king Lynch!!

And Russell Wilson to run it in too!!

cadhlancian

Quote from: J70 on February 02, 2015, 03:24:09 AM
f**king sickened by that. One minute you're thinking all the talk will be about the ballsy calls Carroll made with the touchdown at the half and the fake field goal against Green Bay, but that was just indefensible. New England,  the colossal pricks, can't believe their luck! But with that play call, Seattle can have no complaints.
Luck?? It was a brilliant play by the DB, shouldn't have been given the opportunity , but that's hardly his fault. Also, was the 40 yard pass that got Seattle down to the 3 yard line a little lucky? Maybe??

Muck Savage

Pete Carroll's and Seattles arrogance caught up with them. They should have gone and won the game after the lucky catch but in true fashion tried to win with a cheeky play. Then when they had NE on their own goal line gave away a penalty when NE still had to get out. Clowns then starting a row.

NE dominated the 1st half but ended up tied at half time when they should have been well ahead. Credit to Seattle for hanging in and then crushing the 3rd quarter.
Edelman was huge, really distroyed Seattle. He took a hit in the 4th and I'm sure he was concussed. He was wobbling getting up but caught a ball 2 plays later and looked really groggy getting up.

Enjoyable game 

gallsman

Quote from: David McKeown on February 02, 2015, 03:42:13 AM
Worst play call ever?

As bad as the call was the rookie still needs some credit for making a great play and anticipating the underneath route.

Definitely - especially after making what should have been a great play on the Kearse catch only to see it land in his lap. He had a big defended pass on Matthews on the previous drive too.

Clov

I don't think the final seahawks play call was as bad as most are making out. It was 2nd down with 26s left and they had 1 timeout which means they had to throw it at least once if they wanted to avail of all 3 remaining downs. If they ran it on 2nd down and were stuffed they would have had to call timeout and then would have had to throw it on 3rd (not enough to run on 3rd down and then reset for the final play). Throwing on second down basically means the whole playbook is open to you on third down as you can save your final timeout for then if you fail on 3rd down. Of course you can argue with particular play they actual called but there i think you have to say it was a great defensive play rather than an awful call. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

mick999

Minder

I went to the scratcher in 4th Q so only seen the final play once , did Wilson audible out of a run to throw the slant ?

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

tyroneman

Quote from: Minder on February 02, 2015, 08:55:36 AM
I went to the scratcher in 4th Q so only seen the final play once , did Wilson audible out of a run to throw the slant ?
Nope. Sideline call. Players openly not happy with it either in the dressing room afterwards.

Lynch himself is being cool about it making reference to it being a team game, although he must be massively disappointed.

Hopefully it pushes him to Oakland

tyroneman

Quote from: Clov on February 02, 2015, 08:22:51 AM
I don't think the final seahawks play call was as bad as most are making out. It was 2nd down with 26s left and they had 1 timeout which means they had to throw it at least once if they wanted to avail of all 3 remaining downs. If they ran it on 2nd down and were stuffed they would have had to call timeout and then would have had to throw it on 3rd (not enough to run on 3rd down and then reset for the final play). Throwing on second down basically means the whole playbook is open to you on third down as you can save your final timeout for then if you fail on 3rd down. Of course you can argue with particular play they actual called but there i think you have to say it was a great defensive play rather than an awful call. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

I get the point but surely it's better going with Lynch first and taking the danger of a throw away.

Also throwing a slant into heavy middle field traffic was madness.

deiseach

Fluke catch means Tom Brady will always be remembered as a wee bit of a loser.

Seconds later, awful call and inspired play by a rookie means Tom Brady will always be remembered as arguably the GOAT.

Neither of these things happened when Tom Brady was on the field.

You gotta love the Manichean nature of American sport.

gallsman

If Seattle had won, Brady would be 3-3 in Super Bowls thanks to two of the most bizarre, flukey catches in NFL history when he should be 5-.