American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

On offense it's more Brady and McDaniels. Belichick comes from a defensive background.

AZOffaly

Belichick sets the tone though. McDaniels is only OC since 2012 the second time around. Hoodie is there since 2000, and has basically been winning ever since. He seems to be able to steer the ship despite players and coaches coming and going. Brady is a huge factor, but I think Belichick is the heartbeat.

RealSpiritof98

What irks me as a 49er is that we got rid of a coach that challenges his players like Belichick, a coach that got us to 3 championship games in a row but because he told it like it was he was moved on. Belichick mightn't conform to the media happy coach the 24/7 world wants nowadays but with the draft system, turnover of the teams and salary caps-the level of success on a consistent basis is phenomenal. Mannings Colts weren't to bad either and they seriously 'lucked out' (excuse the pun) going 1/15 when Manning got injured and got the next QB of the future generation.

Syferus

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on January 21, 2015, 03:51:31 PM
What irks me as a 49er is that we got rid of a coach that challenges his players like Belichick, a coach that got us to 3 championship games in a row but because he told it like it was he was moved on. Belichick mightn't conform to the media happy coach the 24/7 world wants nowadays but with the draft system, turnover of the teams and salary caps-the level of success on a consistent basis is phenomenal. Mannings Colts weren't to bad either and they seriously 'lucked out' (excuse the pun) going 1/15 when Manning got injured and got the next QB of the future generation.

Why the 49ers didn't move heaven and earth to keep Harbaugh could haunt the franchise for a long time. Jed York should have been very happy to have such good coach and let him get him on with his job and supported him in everything he wanted to do.

AZOffaly

I think he pissed off practically everyone in San Francisco. Far from moving heaven and earth to keep him, I think they would have moved heaven and earth to get rid of him. This may well be a stupid decision, and made for the wrong reasons, but this is not an instance of a coach slipping through their fingers.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2015, 04:42:14 PM
I think he pissed off practically everyone in San Francisco. Far from moving heaven and earth to keep him, I think they would have moved heaven and earth to get rid of him. This may well be a stupid decision, and made for the wrong reasons, but this is not an instance of a coach slipping through their fingers.

Never said it was. The players loved him and played for him even at the end, when it had went a bit wrong. Finding someone who can instill that much into a team (the 49ers were on a hiding to nothing for the previous decade or more before Harbaugh) won't be an easy task. They got a proven coach probably among the top three or so in the NFL right now and they didn't keep him. I don't know many situations where that can be anything other than a mistake.

AZOffaly

You said they didn't move heaven and earth to keep him. That implies to me that they 'lost' him. They didn't lose him, they wanted him gone.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2015, 04:49:39 PM
You said they didn't move heaven and earth to keep him. That implies to me that they 'lost' him. They didn't lose him, they wanted him gone.

I mean they should have been trying to make him the happiest coach in the league, not actively trying to get rid. Sure they were even toying with trading (ffs, trading!) Harbaugh last year.

I doubt Belichick is the easiest man to work with either, but you make allowances for coaches that are as good as Harbaugh.

AZOffaly

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. I think in that argument, the general manager is the one who should have lost out. But it's no secret that Harbaugh is hard to get on with, and the niners just decided to get rid.

As for the players, I'm not sure all of them were in love with his style either. There were rumblings early in the season about his grip on the locker room, so maybe all was not well there either.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2015, 03:04:05 PM
Belichick sets the tone though. McDaniels is only OC since 2012 the second time around. Hoodie is there since 2000, and has basically been winning ever since. He seems to be able to steer the ship despite players and coaches coming and going. Brady is a huge factor, but I think Belichick is the heartbeat.

Yeah he is, regardless of how people view him he is arguably the best HC ever. He finished 11-5 with Matt feckin Cassell in 2008 when Brady went down with an ACL in the first game of the season.

An absolute master at realising when a once great player has run their race, it will be the same with Brady, once his level drops off he will be out of there.

There is an excellent two parter on Sky Sports On Demand, where he allowed himself to be filmed in the 2009 season

"On to Cincinnati" :D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Oraisteach

Delighted that Harbaugh's at Michigan--can't stand him (an insufferable boor) and Michigan's just that Team up North.  Double the hatin' pleasure. 

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on January 21, 2015, 08:02:12 PM
Delighted that Harbaugh's at Michigan--can't stand him (an insufferable boor) and Michigan's just that Team up North.  Double the hatin' pleasure.

If I was Urban Meyer I'd be very afraid of Harbaugh eating OSU's lunch. Look what he did with a nowerwhere college like Stanford were when he arrived. Michigan are a sleeping giant. With the Spartans strong too those teams could end up giving each other black eyes, ala the SEC West.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2015, 01:13:52 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 21, 2015, 12:01:40 PM
Lads is Bellichick the best coach of the modern generation or does Brady call the offensive shots?

What makes him so disliked?Arrogance I assume?

Anyone know of any documentaries (youtube) that could give me an insight into the mindset of Bellichick and Brady?

Cheers

Belichick has to be the best coach of the modern era, and possibly any era. I posted above some of his stats, and the fact he's basically rebuilding a team every few years means his accomplishments are unreal. Brady is vital, of course, but even when Brady missed the year, Belichick finished 11-5 with Matt Cassel. I don't like him, or his manner, but what he has done is fantastic in the NFL.

NFL Films do some very good shows called (A Football Life) and they have one on him. There's a trailor at http://www.nfl.com/videos/a-football-life/09000d5d821d0244/Bill-Belichick-A-Football-Life but I'm not sure where the full program is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxOSvn5loTY

cadhlancian

Tbh lads, the media have f**k all to talk about this week! Nothing on! Spy gate in my eyes was a pantomime also. The Pats record since spy gate is actually better than it was before it. Also, Hall of Fame coaches ( and SB winners) Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher are on RECORD saying that did the same thing Belichick did.
This current situation is no doubt embarrassing for the Pats. Technically illegal , but I just drove down the 805 doing 90. Good TV though 8)

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 21, 2015, 09:50:42 PM
Tbh lads, the media have f**k all to talk about this week! Nothing on! Spy gate in my eyes was a pantomime also. The Pats record since spy gate is actually better than it was before it. Also, Hall of Fame coaches ( and SB winners) Jimmy Johnson and Bill Cowher are on RECORD saying that did the same thing Belichick did.
This current situation is no doubt embarrassing for the Pats. Technically illegal , but I just drove down the 805 doing 90. Good TV though 8)

Breaking rules is breaking rules. What's most disconcerting here is the clear designed intent to break the rules rather than if it effected the result or not, which is the straw man a lot of Patriots defenders seem to be setting up. For the same team to be caught like this twice in less than a decade speaks to the Patriots' values on an institutional level.