American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

I wasn't the stamp that has injured him. Apparently it's a calf pull/strain. That can be tough to work with. He pulled up in one game I saw, and it looked genuine. But who knows? Maybe he is actually one of these lads who loves being told how brave he is to play through pain, so he exaggerates the pain but is never seriously hindered. We'll see.

I know Earl Thomas agrees with you Seanie :)

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/159036/earl-thomas-not-buying-aaron-rodgers-leg-injury

magpie seanie

They're right, there's fcuk all wrong with him. That incident that Earl Thomas refers to was just before the first TD pass. He moved really quick, looked like he was about the take off and run it in but spotted the guy at the back of the endzone and flipped it to him. He then remembered to start limping again.

He did pull up against the Lions but played on (Suh stood on him after that).

AZOffaly

If he was a GAA lad we'd say it is 'all in his head'. :D

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 16, 2015, 10:10:11 AM
If he was a GAA lad we'd say it is 'all in his head'. :D

"Headstrings"

gallsman

When did an accidental step become a "stamp"? Suh is filthy but if that hadn't been Rodgers or another high profile QB underneath, little would have been made of it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on January 16, 2015, 10:17:54 AM
When did an accidental step become a "stamp"? Suh is filthy but if that hadn't been Rodgers or another high profile QB underneath, little would have been made of it.

Ah I don't know gallsman. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck...... To say Suh has form here would be an understatement.

AZOffaly

oakleaf93

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 16, 2015, 10:08:13 AM
They're right, there's fcuk all wrong with him. That incident that Earl Thomas refers to was just before the first TD pass. He moved really quick, looked like he was about the take off and run it in but spotted the guy at the back of the endzone and flipped it to him. He then remembered to start limping again.

He did pull up against the Lions but played on (Suh stood on him after that).

He went off injured v the Lions after pulling up. The Packers were 14-0 up. By the time he came back the game was tied at 14-14.

As stated before the implications of both games (Lions & Cowboys) were too great to exaggerate an injury and limit your movement just for the sake of it!

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 16, 2015, 10:21:50 AM

Ah I don't know gallsman. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and looks like a duck...... To say Suh has form here would be an understatement.

Even if intentional, it still wasn't a stamp ffs. Obviously going to be briefly sore as Suh is three "hundy" odd pounds but no lasting damage. Mountain out of a molehill.

Walter Cronc

Apologies if this has already been posted guys.

Great interview on Second Captains with Fergus Connolly (Monaghan) who is in charge of elite performance with the 49ers. Think its about 40 mins into the podcast.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/second-captains

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on January 16, 2015, 10:33:10 AM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 16, 2015, 10:21:50 AM

Even if intentional, it still wasn't a stamp ffs. Obviously going to be briefly sore as Suh is three "hundy" odd pounds but no lasting damage. Mountain out of a molehill.

OK, it wasn't a stamp in the rugby sense of it. But it is a big hoor standing on your lower leg. It has to hurt. But no matter what you call it, I'd be seriously skeptical that it was accidental :)

cadhlancian

Quote from: Syferus on January 16, 2015, 12:39:50 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on January 15, 2015, 10:20:17 PM
He was drafted in the 7th round, somehow I don't think Jones would have been a 7th rounder, possibly a first rounder , more than likely would have gone in the second. Irrelevant now.

No franchise with sense would spend a second-rounder on a lad with three starts to his name and third on a college team's depth chart. When everything was even both Miller and Barrett were seen as better QBs than Jones in the eyes of one of the best college coaches of the modern era.

Jones showed well; if he can hold the starting job next season or take it the year after (he's a redshirt Sophomore) he'll be properly draftable. A few years ago the last Duck to get Oregon to the title game, Darron Thomas, made the mental decision to declare after his junior season. Everyone thought it was madness and he wasn't drafted and he disappeared off the face of the Earth, never even making an NFL practice squad. And he started for two full seasons and half of another. It should be a lesson for anyone in Jones' position.

And Mel Kiper is more hair than sense.
when everything was even, Drew Henson was seen as a better QB than a certain Thomas Brady. How'd that turn out ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: cadhlancian on January 16, 2015, 11:07:07 AM
Quote from: Syferus on January 16, 2015, 12:39:50 AM
Quote from: cadhlancian on January 15, 2015, 10:20:17 PM
He was drafted in the 7th round, somehow I don't think Jones would have been a 7th rounder, possibly a first rounder , more than likely would have gone in the second. Irrelevant now.

No franchise with sense would spend a second-rounder on a lad with three starts to his name and third on a college team's depth chart. When everything was even both Miller and Barrett were seen as better QBs than Jones in the eyes of one of the best college coaches of the modern era.

Jones showed well; if he can hold the starting job next season or take it the year after (he's a redshirt Sophomore) he'll be properly draftable. A few years ago the last Duck to get Oregon to the title game, Darron Thomas, made the mental decision to declare after his junior season. Everyone thought it was madness and he wasn't drafted and he disappeared off the face of the Earth, never even making an NFL practice squad. And he started for two full seasons and half of another. It should be a lesson for anyone in Jones' position.

And Mel Kiper is more hair than sense.
when everything was even, Drew Henson was seen as a better QB than a certain Thomas Brady. How'd that turn out ?

Well, Brady was drafted in a different draft so it's not really fair to say Henson was seen as a better QB, but that's sort of the point in a roundabout way. Nothing in the draft is guaranteed, especially at QB, so teams are loathe to waste picks, especially high picks unless they think they are onto a great bet. I can't see anyone thinking that about Jones, but as I said, who really knows. If I was a GM, I wouldn't spend any more than a 4th round pick on him, and even that if I was already fairly well set at other positions.

I'd suggest someone had a work in Jones' ear and said something similar to him, and that's why he stayed. Having said that, and to support your point a bit cadhlancian, it really is a very poor QB draft this year, on the face of it. Even Mariota is coming out early, as is Winston. For pure seniors it's quite bad.

Most boards have the two lads going in the first round, and the next QB not appearing until the 3rd or 4th round. Maybe Brett Hundley, Bryce Petty or Grayson from Colorado state.

Minder

Hard to see past Seattle v NE Super Bowl, I think I would want them both to lose in that game. Colts probably have a better chance of the upset.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Rossie11

I give the Colts a great chance. As a whole I would have the Denver receiving corp as better than the Pats but the speed and tackling of the colts defence kept them under wraps. They were excellent.
I can't see the pats doing what they done last week and winning without a run game.