Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

David McKeown

Quote from: Minder on January 11, 2015, 10:14:27 PM
Mike Perreira explains the catch here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jB5R-HcyITE&sns=em

It doesn't explain it though. Why is he not down when his right elbow hits as a runner would be?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

cadhlancian

A football move they say?? He took 2 steps after the catch FFS  :o

Minder

Quote from: David McKeown on January 11, 2015, 10:28:36 PM

It doesn't explain it though. Why is he not down when his right elbow hits as a runner would be?

"Completing" the catch is different to a runner going down though, the process isn't complete until he goes to ground and has control of the ball, he didn't have control of the ball. It was the correct call but it's a rule, what constitutes a catch, they will surely look at in the off season.

The refs have been consistent with this call since the controversy after the Calvin Johnson catch against the Bears a few years ago, it's just this is the most high profile example of it.

David McKeown

Quote from: Minder on January 11, 2015, 10:41:27 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 11, 2015, 10:28:36 PM

"Completing" the catch is different to a runner going down though, the process isn't complete until he goes to ground and has control of the ball, he didn't have control of the ball. It was the correct call but it's a rule, what constitutes a catch, they will surely look at in the off season.

The refs have been consistent with this call since the controversy after the Calvin Johnson catch against the Bears a few years ago, it's just this is the most high profile example of it.

What point does a player go to ground though. If he's a runner he goes to ground when a knee or elbow hit. What point is it for a receiver?

Zulu

Could be a rout here. Passing of the torch?

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

heganboy

And another call wrong, a fumble was just recovered by Denver.
Officials making the headlines, not what the NFL are looking for, and certainly not the fans
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

David McKeown

Heres the referee's explanation.

I still have no idea when the process of the catch completes or when a receiver actually goes to ground but at least I understand the ruling a little better?

"Although the receiver is possessing the football, he must maintain possession of that football throughout the entire process of the catch. In our judgment, he maintained possession but continued to fall and never had another act common to the game. We deemed that by our judgment to be the full process of the catch, and at the time he lands and the ball hits the ground, it comes loose as it hits the ground, which would make that incomplete; although he re-possesses it, it does contact the ground when he reaches so the repossession is irrelevant because it was ruled an incomplete pass when we had the ball hit the ground."

On if Bryant's elbow hit the ground before the ball did:

"When you're still going through the process of the catch, elbows or knees are irrelevant, he must complete that entire process with the football, maintain possession throughout."

Syferus

Sure felt like the end for Manning at Mile High last night. Maybe he has one year left in him to try to prove doubters wrong but he certainly wasn't effusive in wanting come back after the game.

So it won't be Manning v. Brady, but it will still be Indy v. Patriots. Luck is every bit as good as his hype entering the league.

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on January 12, 2015, 10:24:25 AM
Sure felt like the end for Manning at Mile High last night. Maybe he has one year left in him to try to prove doubters wrong but he certainly wasn't effusive in wanting come back after the game.

So it won't be Manning v. Brady, but it will still be Indy v. Patriots. Luck is every bit as good as his hype entering the league.

Can't see the Broncos paying him $15m next year, he just doesent have the arm strength for it anymore

AZOffaly

Peyton is still a good NFL QB, but he's been underwhelming in the playoffs nearly his whole career. When they got him out of the dome, the likes of New England, Baltimore and Pittsburgh ate him alive because he never had the rocket arm, and the elements combined with playoff defenses were too much for him. That's why I think Brady is a fair bit ahead of Manning as a QB, certainly in the big games.

Andrew Luck is going to be a great one as well, he has the arm. Did you see how fast that ball travelled to the TE for the second colts TD? Holy Jaysus. If he didn't catch it it would have bored a hole in him. Luck's decision making is improving too.

Manning could still do a job in Arizona, Florida, San Diego or somewhere like that, but it would only be up to the point of the playoffs, unless you got homefield. Great, very smart, QB, but in my opinion not as good, even at his peak, as Brady.

I still think Montana is the best QB ever, so smart, so poised and so cool, but Brady is definitely up there. If he wins another superbowl it would be very easy to say Brady is the best ever, but I just have to stick with Joe. Or maybe Ryan Lindley.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on January 11, 2015, 08:09:11 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 11, 2015, 07:26:44 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel on January 11, 2015, 01:23:01 AM
Come crunch time Brady again comes up trumps, Strange they didn't waste time with 2 runs on the last set of plays. still think Manning better than him, well Seattle a team i love to hate up next, don't think they have much trouble the nit though, i leave that to green bay cream them
Brady is a crunch time pressure player!!
Running game or lack of will stop their chances IMO

Rodgers needs to up his game in second half v Dallas !

Injury clearly hindering him

Made a miraculous recovery in the second half, even forgot to limp.

magpie seanie

Quote from: heganboy on January 11, 2015, 11:53:54 PM
Officials making the headlines, not what the NFL are looking for, and certainly not the fans

Steroids Mathews and another Packer hit Romo low and late and no penalty flags were thrown. When it happened in the Indy/Denver game the flags came out immediately.

Romo was more banged up than Rodgers and got on with it without the histrionics and played well throughout. Desperately unlucky last night.

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2015, 11:54:57 AM
Quote from: heganboy on January 11, 2015, 11:53:54 PM

Steroids Mathews and another Packer hit Romo low and late and no penalty flags were thrown. When it happened in the Indy/Denver game the flags came out immediately.

Romo was more banged up than Rodgers and got on with it without the histrionics and played well throughout. Desperately unlucky last night.

You really hate the Pack :) I hate the Cowboys, so I won't cry for Jerry and his lads. Although I do like Romo in fairness.