American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

I give it to Watts myself but it likely go to a qb again. also think Murray of the cowboys and Bell and brown of the steelers have had massive seasons

Rossie11

Have to agree with Seanie.
The NFC South, the Jets and a Bears Defence who didn't even try really helped Rodgers profile for the award this season. Not his fault obviously but I think on balance there are a few who should be ahead of him this season

Minder

Quote from: Rossie11 on December 29, 2014, 11:06:06 PM
Have to agree with Seanie.
The NFC South, the Jets and a Bears Defence who didn't even try really helped Rodgers profile for the award this season. Not his fault obviously but I think on balance there are a few who should be ahead of him this season

Ah sure we will agree to disagree, nearly every QB that has put up a big season has feasted on fodder along the way.

Josh Gordon had similar numbers last season to Antonio Brown (while playing two less games, and having Brandon Effing Weeden & Brian Hoyer at QB), there weren't any calls for him to be MVP.

A WR is never winning it, have a look at the previous winners.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cadhlancian

Quote from: Minder on December 29, 2014, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 29, 2014, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 28, 2014, 10:42:39 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 28, 2014, 10:26:45 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 28, 2014, 08:49:11 PM
Once again, Watt is a nonsense. All in vain though if Ravens can hold their lead.

Good article on how Watt prepares for a season

http://grantland.com/features/j-j-watt-houston-texans-2014-nfl-preview/

Think I posted that back a few months ago! Love Grantland for NBA and NFL, although Simmons is a gobshite of the highest order.

Watt is an utter nonsense. The article captures his dedication perfectly.

If Watt doesn't get MVP it's a disgrace. What he is doing is historically great. Next contender is Antonio Brown, simply one of the best WR season's in history.

Talk of Rodgers getting it is a joke. He might be in line for an Oscar though, really knows how to get the officials onside. His TD on the QB sneak fall over and roll was a case in point. Never a TD in a million years though I'm not complaining as it (and Brown's magic) helped me to an unlikely win in my last fantasy league!

Ah come on Seanie you can't be serious, Rodgers has had an MVP season, 38 TD & 5 INTs, some QBs in the NFL would throw that many in a game.

Take Rodgers out of that Packers team and they are an 8-8 team. The award is for Most Valuable Player, now nobody could argue much if Watt got it because he has been phenomenal but QBs are the most valuable players on a team.

Look at how teams go to shit when the back up goes in for any length of time.
+1 !!
Houston aren't even in the top 20 in defense.

cadhlancian

No Syferus , Russell Wilson is by far the best dual threat QB , although Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers might have something to say about that. I watch as much NFL on here as anybody, sad to say probably a lot more. Arizona have been a nice story, but they are average at best. The much vaunted defense is decent, but that's it, Definetly not in the same zip code as Seattles. Seattle hung nearly 600 yards on them 2 weeks ago at home, and Seattle aren't exactly the leagues best offense. Duplicitous ? FFS, go away and ride yourself will you!  ;D
Larry Fitzgerald is a low end WR1 , Michael Floyd is a low end 2 and the 2 Browns are 3 and 4 at best. Andre Ellington hasn't a rushing game over 85 yards and Carson Palmer wasn't much use in Oakland or Cincinatti, although he would be a massive upgrade on what's there right now. I haven't been sold on Cardinals at any point this season, period, so I don't know where you are getting this feeling that I'm beginning to feel them? Should Arizona win this weekend, Roscommon would have more chance of going to Seattle or Greenbay....
Would you agree that the NFC South is the worst division in the nfl??

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 10, 2014, 02:39:53 PM
I would of course. They are 8-1. 10-6 means they finish 2-5. But what I'm saying is that even if that is what happens, you'd have a decent chance of a playoff spot. If Palmer wasn't injured, I think they'd be looking to finish 12-4 or 13-3 at this stage.

Drew Stanton is a good backup, but he's a backup. Larry Fitz might fall off productivity wise with Stanton, and Ellington might be the next lad to get injured because he's going to get more work.

They still have to play in Seattle and in San Francisco. They also have Seattle at home. That's 3 tough games right there with a backup QB. (Now mind you Stanton beat the Niners early in the year). They have Detroit and Chiefs at home as well, and Falcons and Rams away. I think 10-6 would be disappointing where we are now, but if the Cardinals were to be offered 10-6 at the start of the season, with all the injuries they have, that would be seen as a great season. There's a right good team being cooked there.

I can't disagree too much about their prospects but I think you are underestimating the Cardinals down the road. This is what I wrote when they were 8-1 and I think it's a fairer synopsis than yours. This season has been a very successful one for Arizona, and the defence has been the main reason, apart from a couple of bad days, Seattle in Arizona being one. San francisco was another. Remember they held Seattle to 19 points up in Seattle though.

I expect Carolina and Cam to beat them at home, but I won't be surprised if the Cards pull one more upset.

magpie seanie

Quote from: cadhlancian on December 30, 2014, 03:31:56 AM
Quote from: Minder on December 29, 2014, 01:53:57 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 29, 2014, 12:24:01 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 28, 2014, 10:42:39 PM
Quote from: Minder on December 28, 2014, 10:26:45 PM
Quote from: gallsman on December 28, 2014, 08:49:11 PM
Once again, Watt is a nonsense. All in vain though if Ravens can hold their lead.

Good article on how Watt prepares for a season

http://grantland.com/features/j-j-watt-houston-texans-2014-nfl-preview/

Think I posted that back a few months ago! Love Grantland for NBA and NFL, although Simmons is a gobshite of the highest order.

Watt is an utter nonsense. The article captures his dedication perfectly.

If Watt doesn't get MVP it's a disgrace. What he is doing is historically great. Next contender is Antonio Brown, simply one of the best WR season's in history.

Talk of Rodgers getting it is a joke. He might be in line for an Oscar though, really knows how to get the officials onside. His TD on the QB sneak fall over and roll was a case in point. Never a TD in a million years though I'm not complaining as it (and Brown's magic) helped me to an unlikely win in my last fantasy league!

Ah come on Seanie you can't be serious, Rodgers has had an MVP season, 38 TD & 5 INTs, some QBs in the NFL would throw that many in a game.

Take Rodgers out of that Packers team and they are an 8-8 team. The award is for Most Valuable Player, now nobody could argue much if Watt got it because he has been phenomenal but QBs are the most valuable players on a team.

Look at how teams go to shit when the back up goes in for any length of time.
+1 !!
Houston aren't even in the top 20 in defense.

Exactly - people still can't stop JJ Watt when they don't have much else to worry about. That's what makes him even more extraordinary.

Syferus

Quote from: cadhlancian on December 30, 2014, 04:28:35 AM
No Syferus , Russell Wilson is by far the best dual threat QB , although Andrew Luck and Aaron Rodgers might have something to say about that. I watch as much NFL on here as anybody, sad to say probably a lot more. Arizona have been a nice story, but they are average at best. The much vaunted defense is decent, but that's it, Definetly not in the same zip code as Seattles. Seattle hung nearly 600 yards on them 2 weeks ago at home, and Seattle aren't exactly the leagues best offense. Duplicitous ? FFS, go away and ride yourself will you!  ;D
Larry Fitzgerald is a low end WR1 , Michael Floyd is a low end 2 and the 2 Browns are 3 and 4 at best. Andre Ellington hasn't a rushing game over 85 yards and Carson Palmer wasn't much use in Oakland or Cincinatti, although he would be a massive upgrade on what's there right now. I haven't been sold on Cardinals at any point this season, period, so I don't know where you are getting this feeling that I'm beginning to feel them? Should Arizona win this weekend, Roscommon would have more chance of going to Seattle or Greenbay....
Would you agree that the NFC South is the worst division in the nfl??

The NFC South is the worst division this year but Carolina are far from the worst team left. They are in as good form as any team left and as Settle did (in their 7-9 season), and the Giants and Packers did in their last Super Bowl seasons, being hot is far more important than your record or division. It will take a good team to beat Carolina.

cadhlancian

Being hot?? Beating a brutal Atlanta t, Tampa narrowly, Cleveland narrowly at home and an equally bad Saints team makes you hot?? Before that stretch of greatness they hadn't won a game in EIGHT weeks FFS . They have one win against a decent team this year ( Detroit ), Arizona at least have a few marquis wins on their resume. I expect Carolina to win on Saturday , but they'll be gone the following week. I guarantee you that ;D

Syferus

Now the brave new world of the college football playoffs actually starts. Two great match-ups today. Duck-Bama to meet in the title game for me.

AZOffaly

Great games so far today. SEC west getting a bit of a trimming so far in bowls. Both Mississippi schools, LSU and today auburn losing to Wisconsin. Worth remembering Wisconsin lost by 59 to Ohio state or something like that. Maybe Ohio state can rattle alabama after all. Really hope Oregon beat Florida state.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 01, 2015, 10:30:46 PM
Great games so far today. SEC west getting a bit of a trimming so far in bowls. Both Mississippi schools, LSU and today auburn losing to Wisconsin. Worth remembering Wisconsin lost by 59 to Ohio state or something like that. Maybe Ohio state can rattle alabama after all. Really hope Oregon beat Florida state.

Wouldn't read much into the meaningless bowl games. Sure Oklahoma beat Bama in a bowl game last year. For Auburn I know the goal was a national title this year so they really couldn't be fully engaged in a lower-tier bowl game no matter how hard they tried. Both Mississippi teams are totally green when it comes to big bowl games too.

AZOffaly

But what can you read into then? SEC teams traditionally play cupcakes out of conference, so the only time you see them is in bowls. I think the SEC is the strongest conference but it is not as strong as people make out.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 01, 2015, 10:41:49 PM
But what can you read into then? SEC teams traditionally play cupcakes out of conference, so the only time you see them is in bowls. I think the SEC is the strongest conference but it is not as strong as people make out.

I think you can read nothing into it. Bowl games apart from the now-three that actually mean something are nothing short of glorified dog-and-pony shows. Maybe for colleges like Miss St. That have had a lot of bad years they mean something but for the likes of Alabama, Auburn and LSU that regularly challenge for SEC and national titles they really are nothing but a farewell to graduating seniors and a cash cow. It's such a broken system that you get so many pointless games at the end of the college football season, it'd be like before the AISFs the GAA started matching up counties not in the semis for a round of challenge matches.

I don't think Wisconsin winning a close one against Auburn is any indicator for tonight, Wisconsin were never 59 points worse than the Buckeyes on the season but it was one of those aberrant results that happens every now and then.

Other conferences have gotten better this year but the SEC West (the East is a much easier ride right now) is still a wreck for any team with national title aspirations. That Bama have built a dynasty out of that division is one of the most remarkable achievements in college football history.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 01, 2015, 11:39:30 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 01, 2015, 10:41:49 PM

I think you can read nothing into it. Bowl games apart from the now-three that actually mean something are nothing short of glorified dog-and-pony shows. Maybe for colleges like Miss St. That have had a lot of bad years they mean something but for the likes of Alabama, Auburn and LSU that regularly challenge for SEC and national titles they really are nothing but a farewell to graduating seniors.

I know what they are, I've watched them long enough, some are like that, some are not. And you can easily tell.

My point Is I've heard things like "there are 6 teams in the SEC that would win every other conference" and it is only based on how they are doing in the SEC. Until they play good teams from other conferences it's hard to gauge exactly how good they are. And because of the SECs scheduling, it's usually in bowl games.

I'll give you LSU v Notre Dame, but Mississippi state and ole miss would have wanted to win their bowl games, as would auburn. You say that Auburns only goal was national championship, but that's the case for probably 8 or 10 teams, and teams like Michigan State, TCU and others can move on.

As I said, I do think the SEC is great, but it is definitely over estimated.