American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

http://grantland.com/features/j-j-watt-houston-texans-2014-nfl-preview/

That's a great Grantland article I read on him during the summer. Spent months of his offseason kipping on a friend's mattress in Wisconsin so he could workout twice a day in his home gym. The guy is an absolute freak.

Syferus

Getting excited for No. 2 Auburn @ No. 3 Mississippi St. now. Incredible story for Mississippi State to rise so high after so many years of being lunch for the established powers. The definition of what makes college football fantastic, really.

Given everyone is beating everyone else a loss here won't end these two undefeated teams' chances of making the SEC title game or the play-offs but it will leave them hanging by a thread, particularly Auburn's who have a run-in from hell. Go Tigers.

Oraisteach

Auburn nearly pulled an Auburn, but it's hard to overcome four turnovers.  Amused at a Miss. State sign: "Win or Lose, At Least We Don't Live in Alabama!"  They do know that they're from Mississippi, right?

Syferus

Quote from: Oraisteach on October 12, 2014, 12:41:57 AM
Auburn nearly pulled an Auburn, but it's hard to overcome four turnovers.  Amused at a Miss. State sign: "Win or Lose, At Least We Don't Live in Alabama!"  They do know that they're from Mississippi, right?

Miss St. were just better. Auburn owned the 3rd quarter yet only managed a TD. Would be rooting for Miss St. in almost any other game, though of course I want them to lose to bring Auburn back into SEC contention. They look totally legit and aren't fluking their way to these wins.

Interesting times ahead. SEC is such a brutally competive conference.

RealSpiritof98

Huge win for the Cowboys, hope the 49ers take advantage of Seahawks loss tomorrow, esp as Arizona won and look good.

RealSpiritof98

Jumped the Gun on Cards, still should win though

Oraisteach

Also a huge win for the Browns. 1-18 against Roethlisberger until today.  Go Browns!

Carmen Stateside

Eagles shutout NY Giants 27-0. Jets last week with the big zero noe the Giants this week, ye couldn't make it up!

AZOffaly

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on October 13, 2014, 12:36:19 AM
Jumped the Gun on Cards, still should win though

Yeah, hung in there and won it. 4-1 on the season, but really scraping together wins. It's a great job by Arians so far in fairness, when you consider the injuries and suspensions they are dealing with. The Defense just keeps giving up big plays, and then shutting the other team down. Last night they had 3 interceptions in 4 4th quarter Washington possessions. If they get offense and defense playing well together at the same time, someone is going to get an awful trimming.

I know everyone in the NFL gets injuries, its just part of the game, but this was the Cardinals injury report on Friday. Their defensive front is decimated.

Linebacker Matt Shaughnessy (knee) and punter Dave Zastudil (groin) joined linebacker John Abraham (concussion) and defensive tackle Darnell Dockett (knee) on the IR this week. Defensive end Calais Campbell (knee) and rookie tight end Troy Niklas (ankle) are out. And as many as seven others could be questionable: quarterbacks Carson Palmer (shoulder) and Drew Stanton (concussion), guard Paul Fanaika (calf/ankle), running back Andre Ellington (foot) linebacker Glenn Carson (ankle) and cornerbacks Patrick Peterson (ankle) and Justin Bethel (shoulder).

Two others, linebacker Daryl Washington and running back Jonathan Dwyer, are serving suspensions.

oakleaflad

It's not easy being a Dolphins fan these days.

gallsman

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 13, 2014, 11:29:40 AM
It's not easy being a Dolphins fan these days.

Sense of inevitability watching Rodgers march up like that, especially when with the 4 point gap in was all or nothing. The speed of that that final play was incredible.

Cowboys were an awful lot better than that scoreline suggested. 17 Seattle points came after a blocked punt, a muffed punt and a recovered fumble from an early snap. Seattle's offense didn't fire at all today. Was interesting to see throwing against Sherman when Bryant was up against. Think he took him for about 65 yards by the end of it. Is Demarco Murray an early MVP candidate?

AZOffaly

Sherman only gave up 2 receptions to Bryant I think.

AZOffaly

By the way, I was watching the Cardinals - Redskins game on NFL Gamepass and there was old Snyder, the Redskins owner, sitting in a box with the Chief of the Navajo nation, a tribe mainly based in Arizona. In no way political I'm sure. I was just disgusted the Chief was wearing a Redskins cap, as was his wife!

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2014, 01:23:13 PM

And a couple of PI's but it was a great battle throughout.

DeMarco Murray is an MVP candidate, amazing to equal Jim Brown by having first 6 consecu100+ yard rushing games. It has to be said though his offensive line is probably the best in the NFL right now though. Yesterday was particularly impressive against Seattle's tough run defense. Eventually the pressure told. Cowboys were excellent all round. Their defense was supposed to be crap, even worse than last year, but has looked good so far.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on October 13, 2014, 05:25:34 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2014, 01:23:13 PM

And a couple of PI's but it was a great battle throughout.

DeMarco Murray is an MVP candidate, amazing to equal Jim Brown by having first 6 consecu100+ yard rushing games. It has to be said though his offensive line is probably the best in the NFL right now though. Yesterday was particularly impressive against Seattle's tough run defense. Eventually the pressure told. Cowboys were excellent all round. Their defense was supposed to be crap, even worse than last year, but has looked good so far.

Be interesting to see if Murray can keep that pace up, probably not and the Cowboys may have to lessen the load as he is on course for 425 rushing attempts.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"