American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The modern NFL player is an absolute animal. Drugs play a part, I'm sure, but as a speciman of humanity they are unreal.

As for the hits, and the protection they wear, I think the hits are made harder because they feel invincible. ESPN do this sports lab thing, and I remember they had an NFL safety hitting a tackling dummy. They measured the force as being sufficient to move a 1 Ton rock 1 inch. Imagine that.

The Iceman

I think US lbs are 16lbs in a stone.... but even at 20 stone he'd do some awful damage
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

AZOffaly

That doesn't make sense. Unless a pound is less over there.

He weighs 332 lbs, so if America had the concept of stone, using 16lbs per stone, he'd be 21 stone, but in Europe 332 lbs is 24 stone. Either way he's 332lbs which is 24 European Stones.

Puckoon

Nice. I just dropped a stone in this discussion.

Ball Hopper

Quote from: The Iceman on March 14, 2014, 04:21:42 PM
I think US lbs are 16lbs in a stone.... but even at 20 stone he'd do some awful damage

Think it's 16oz in a pint rather than 20 is the difference across the Atlantic.  Wonder why the difference?  Someone made a mistake but wouldn't correct it for fear of losing face?

AZOffaly

Yep, I knew the Imperial Pint and the US Pint were slightly different. I hadn't heard about the stone difference, but that's because I've never heard an American talk about weight in stones.

Gabriel_Hurl

it's 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone, right?

orangeman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 14, 2014, 04:49:29 PM
it's 16 ounces in a pound and 14 pounds in a stone, right?
right

orangeman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 14, 2014, 03:22:15 PM
The modern NFL player is an absolute animal. Drugs play a part, I'm sure, but as a speciman of humanity they are unreal.

As for the hits, and the protection they wear, I think the hits are made harder because they feel invincible. ESPN do this sports lab thing, and I remember they had an NFL safety hitting a tackling dummy. They measured the force as being sufficient to move a 1 Ton rock 1 inch. Imagine that.

Brian "Wolverine" Dawkins ?

That's the boy that got Kevin Cassidy in trouble with Jim.

The Iceman

I thought there was a difference in lbs to be honest. Something to do with hundredweights and how many lbs were in those under the imperial system?
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

heganboy

nope a pound is a pound is a lb
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

magpie seanie

Tillman signed up for next season for da Bears - delighted with that. The overhaul of the defense would have been a bit harder without keeping him on board.

Peppers gone to the fudge. Interesting to see how that works out but he'll be pumped for the Bears games I'm sure.

AZOffaly

March Madness starts tonight. The preliminary round games (to get to a field of 64) are tonight and tomorrow. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the best days of the tournament I think. If you get an hour take a look in, usually some great upsets and last minute finishes.

The Iceman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2014, 09:48:05 AM
March Madness starts tonight. The preliminary round games (to get to a field of 64) are tonight and tomorrow. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday are the best days of the tournament I think. If you get an hour take a look in, usually some great upsets and last minute finishes.
another great weekend of sport!

Ball Hopper

Quote from: The Iceman on March 18, 2014, 03:08:32 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 18, 2014, 09:48:05 AM
another great weekend of sport!

Top tournament ever.  Started in 1939 with 8 teams.
Expanded along the way to 68 teams, with 4 play-in games
A 16 seed has never beaten a 1 seed.
Lowest seed to win it all since expansion to 64 teams in 1985 was #8...Villanova in 1985.
All four number 1 seeds getting to the Final Four happened only once, in 2008.
Two number 1 seeds in the Championship Game has occurred 6 times, last in 2008.
Only 3 times has the Final Four not contained a number 1 seed, last in 2011.

And finally, to help getting your bracketology perfect for the first round:

Since the inception of the 64-team tournament in 1985, through 2013, each seed-pairing has played a total of 116 games, with the following results:
The #1 seed is 116–0 against the #16 seed (100%).
The #2 seed is 109–7 against the #15 seed (93.97%).
The #3 seed is 99–17 against the #14 seed (85.34%).
The #4 seed is 91–25 against the #13 seed (78.45%).
The #5 seed is 75–41 against the #12 seed (64.66%).
The #6 seed is 77–39 against the #11 seed (66.38%).
The #7 seed is 70-46 against the #10 seed (60.34%).
The #8 seed is 56–60 against the #9 seed (48.28%).