American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Seattle are classless from their idiot, cheating head coach to their mouthing ignorant players.

I mind well the celebrating that went on after the replacement refs fecked the packers, that cheating  sc**bag Carroll ran around like he had accomplished something.

They were brilliant last night but I could never pull for a shower of bastard like that.

I do however have a lot of time for their about however,

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

cadhlancian

Quote from: stew on February 03, 2014, 10:08:33 PM
+100
Seattle are classless from their idiot, cheating head coach to their mouthing ignorant players.

I mind well the celebrating that went on after the replacement refs fecked the packers, that cheating  sc**bag Carroll ran around like he had accomplished something.

They were brilliant last night but I could never pull for a shower of b**tard like that.

J70

Quote from: stew on February 03, 2014, 10:08:33 PM

They were brilliant last night but I could never pull for a shower of b**tard like that.

From what I saw and heard (Sherman, Wilson, Chancellor and others), they were very magnanimous, especially regarding Manning.

Delighted to see them win it.

magpie seanie

Delighted Seattle won and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thankfully good defense is every bit as enjoyable to me as good offense so I wasn't dispappointed. As for spectacle - not much could beat Percy Harvin streaking back with that kick return. He has serious wheels.

The downside is the continuing undercurrent questioning Peyton Manning's greatness because he only has one SB. I feel sorry for him after the season he had that it ended this way but in my mind he is the greatest QB of his era and one of the best of all time. He could do no more. Seattle won in the trenches, won most of the one on one battles and it would have been miraculous to pull out a win in those circumstances. That's what I love about NFL. It comes down to man against man and the "any given Sunday" cliche is kind of true. Despite the overhyping of the QB position, if the supporting cast isn't up to it then even the greatest QB cannot win alone.

Bruno Mars made my ankles feel sore with that modified moonwalk thingy he was at.

gallsman

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 04, 2014, 10:07:13 AM
Delighted Seattle won and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Thankfully good defense is every bit as enjoyable to me as good offense so I wasn't dispappointed. As for spectacle - not much could beat Percy Harvin streaking back with that kick return. He has serious wheels.

The downside is the continuing undercurrent questioning Peyton Manning's greatness because he only has one SB. I feel sorry for him after the season he had that it ended this way but in my mind he is the greatest QB of his era and one of the best of all time. He could do no more. Seattle won in the trenches, won most of the one on one battles and it would have been miraculous to pull out a win in those circumstances. That's what I love about NFL. It comes down to man against man and the "any given Sunday" cliche is kind of true. Despite the overhyping of the QB position, if the supporting cast isn't up to it then even the greatest QB cannot win alone.

Bruno Mars made my ankles feel sore with that modified moonwalk thingy he was at.

I preferred his wheel out to the left in the first half for the completeness of the play. He really should have been nailed at least twice on the kickoff return though. Blistering pace. If they re-sign Rice (and he's fit) and keep one of Kearse or Baldwin (both of whom you'd imagine will be looking for more prominent roles), then Wilson will have plenty of targets to keep people on their toes.

stew

Wilson is the real deal. I saw him live twice and could not believe he waited until the third round to get selected.

I would hope Seattle lose a bunch if their best young players,  they cannot pay them all and hopefully the pats will pick up a corner back from them

I like Manning a lot but Brady is the best of his generation overall, Manning gets the regular season nod..........just but Brady is and was better overall.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on February 04, 2014, 01:47:51 PM
Wilson is the real deal. I saw him live twice and could not believe he waited until the third round to get selected.

I would hope Seattle lose a bunch if their best young players,  they cannot pay them all and hopefully the pats will pick up a corner back from them

I like Manning a lot but Brady is the best of his generation overall, Manning gets the regular season nod..........just but Brady is and was better overall.

Lads, where is this coming from? Unless I'm missing something completely, I cannot see many/any of their best young players being Free Agents. Of course Wilson and others will want to restructure or re-sign on better deals, but Seattle don't need to do anything this year at least.

gallsman

A piece on Granland last night described Wilson's deal as the most valuable contract in the NFL. His pay rises to 800k next year.

orangeman

A promotion that went wrong or right depending on your perspective :

"Mattress Mack" to pay $7m in Super Bowl bet pledge

A US furniture store owner is set to lose $7m (£4.2m) after promising a full refund to customers if the Seahawks beat Broncos in Sunday's Super Bowl.

The Seahawks duly won the game 43 to 8, which means about 1,000 customers will now get their orders for free.

Nicknamed "Mattress Mack", Jim McIngvale is well-known for his attention-grabbing ploys.

Though substantial, the loss amounts to only 6% of Mr McIngvale's annual income. He says it is good marketing.

McIngvale ran the Super Bowl promotion for 10 days at his two Gallery Furniture stores.

To win, customers had to purchase at least $6,000-worth of furniture and have it delivered before kickoff on Sunday.

The average customer who was eligible for the refund deal bought around $7,000 worth of furniture.

McIngvale is philosophical about the loss and says his business is getting priceless media coverage.

"It's a big hit, but it's a marketing expense. But more importantly, it's a brand-builder," McIngvale said in a phone interview.

It is not the first time "Mattress Mack" has pulled this kind of stunt.

Earlier this year, he refunded almost $700,000 to customers who bet correctly on the Super Bowl playoff victors.

In December, he was honoured by President George H W Bush for his anti-drugs campaigning, and he regularly gives talks to young people in Houston about his experience with addiction.

Asal Mor

I'd have thought there'd be more people questioning whether Denver would be able to come back next year, given Manning's age. I suppose it didn't slow him down much this year. Lots of the Seattle players are already talking about a "repeat".

On another note, I read that the Texans will take Johnny Manziel with the first pick in the draft. Could he turn them into serious contenders?

AZOffaly

they probably need a QB alright, but I'm not sure if Johnny Football will be a hit straight away. The Texans have a lot of pieces already, so a good QB would help them a lot.

gallsman

Quote from: Asal Mor on February 04, 2014, 03:21:35 PM
I'd have thought there'd be more people questioning whether Denver would be able to come back next year, given Manning's age. I suppose it didn't slow him down much this year. Lots of the Seattle players are already talking about a "repeat".

On another note, I read that the Texans will take Johnny Manziel with the first pick in the draft. Could he turn them into serious contenders?

Michael Vick has been hinting at a Texans move too.

Asal Mor

Quote from: gallsman on February 04, 2014, 04:18:38 PM
Quote from: Asal Mor on February 04, 2014, 03:21:35 PM

Michael Vick has been hinting at a Texans move too.

Vick's days must be very numbered now, as an injury-prone, rushing quarterback in his mid-30's. He'd be great to have around as a back-up though, if he was affordable.

I'm really looking forward to all the Johnny Football hoopla next year. Multiply Tim Tebow by a thousand David Beckhams and you're still nowhere near it. It's just a pity he won't be going to the Cowboys.

Had a quick scan of that Free Agent list AZ posted. More trouble for Baltimore by the looks of it. Pitta, Jacoby and Dallas Clark all out of contract. It's a pity because Flacco showed in last year's playoffs just how phenomenal he can be under pressure. "And he can sling it man. He can flat out sling it."

5 Sams

Is Jeter retiring not a big story over there lads?
The Aristocrat Years

AZOffaly

Huge on twitter anyway. To be honest when he got that bad injury there it as good as retired him anyway. Fair play that he's back for a year,and I hope it goes well for him. A good pro and a great leader on a great team.