American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Rose Bowl will pick Stanford or ASU to play against Ohio State or Michigan State if Auburn go to the BCS. If OSU go to the BCS I reckon it could be Stanford v Auburn alright.

Syferus

Yeah, for some reason I was thinking ACC instead of PAC-12.

AZOffaly

Jamais Winston's immediate future will be known at 7pm our time. The Florida investigator is announcing the results of the inquiry at that time. If Winston is to be charged, then the 'Noles have to be dropped surely?

AZOffaly

I should say that seeing as how it's a press conference as opposed to just issuing an arrest warrant, it's likely there'll be no charges pressed.

Oraisteach

AZ, I'll be shocked if he's charged.  I think the words "press conference" is the key.  Maybe I'm cynical, but this is Tallahassee, Florida, Winston is in line for the Heisman (hence the press conf. before the voting), and the Noles are hot favorites to take the national championship.  To paraphrase Bobby Bowden after a Sebastian Janikowski breach of team rules, when asked if he'd bench the kicker, said roughly, "Daggummit, I'm not gonna cut off my nose to spaht mah face."  And even if Winston is charged, though FSU has a policy that any player charged with a felony must be suspended, the school also has an "exceptional circumstances" get-out-of-jail-free clause.  Maybe being potential national champs meets that criterion.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 03, 2013, 08:15:32 PM
Rose Bowl will pick Stanford or ASU to play against Ohio State or Michigan State if Auburn go to the BCS. If OSU go to the BCS I reckon it could be Stanford v Auburn alright.

The Rose Bowl love their Pac12/Big 10 match-up so it'll almost certainly be Michigan State, even if they lose to Ohio State.

If Auburn win the SEC and aren't in the National Championship Game, they'll be in the Sugar Bowl.

Alabama are probably headed for the Orange Bowl as it has the first pick of at-large BCS teams this year.

Syferus

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on December 05, 2013, 06:02:31 PM

The Rose Bowl love their Pac12/Big 10 match-up so it'll almost certainly be Michigan State, even if they lose to Ohio State.

If Auburn win the SEC and aren't in the National Championship Game, they'll be in the Sugar Bowl.

Alabama are probably headed for the Orange Bowl as it has the first pick of at-large BCS teams this year.

Well the way they've restructured the bowls in recent years means certain conferences are tied to certain bowls. The Pac-12 and Big 10 champions will always play the Rose Bowl in the event of the teams not playing in the BSC title game and the Rose Bowl itself not being designated as that year's BSC title game.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2013, 06:13:05 PM
Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on December 05, 2013, 06:02:31 PM

Well the way they've restructured the bowls in recent years means certain conferences are tied to certain bowls. The Pac-12 and Big 10 champions will always play the Rose Bowl in the event of the teams not playing in the BSC title game and the Rose Bowl itself not being designated as that year's BSC title game.

Yep, and the Rose Bowl more than any of the others seems to really value the conference tie-in. A few years ago, when Ohio State were in the title game they picked Illinois just to preserve their Pac 10 (as it was then)/Big Ten match-up.

Oraisteach

According to ESPN.com, Winston will not be charged.  So apparently no criminiNOLE charges.

heganboy

"apparently" her tox report showed no drugs and minimal alcohol which didn't go that well with the story. or maybe ray donovan was in on it...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Syferus

7-3 to the Tigers from Auburn in the SEC championship game. Nick Marshall is thriving more and more with each game. And he still has his senior season to come..

AZOffaly

Great call with the onside kick. Mizzou on the ropes.

Syferus

Auburn certainly don't look like they're suffering from an Iron Bowl hangover. Avoid the fumbles and they can get out of Atlanta with the SEC title.

Syferus

Yikes. Prophetic words. Marshall needs to play it safe with the ball if Auburn are going to win this.