American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 15, 2013, 03:02:52 PM
Got Danny Amendola in from the Rams though, he's got potential so that might work out okay for the Pats. The Cardinals are doing a bit of water treading, Yeremiah Bell in is good, releasing Beanie Wells is probably also a good move, but is Rashad Mendenhall good enough to make up for an OLine made of statues? Also, Drew Stanton? Really?

Arizona must be going to draft Matt Barkley or Geno Smith. Drew Stanton is only backup QB. Mendenhall was a decent RB not that long ago but is a serious risk. There were better options out there I'd have thought. Yeremiah Bell is getting on a bit but is a good player.

The Pats fecked up on Welker. He has had a few high profile drops but he has been massive for their offense. Giving him to Peyton Manning is a major boo boo. Amendola is a good slot guy but no Welker and has to prove his durability.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2013, 09:44:36 AMLike the Bennett signing. Huge guy who is a decent blocker and pass catcher. Kellen Davis and Spaeth were simply no threat in the passing game.

There's not too many Giants fans crying about losing Bennett - especially a 5million a year

magpie seanie

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 15, 2013, 03:23:33 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 15, 2013, 09:44:36 AMLike the Bennett signing. Huge guy who is a decent blocker and pass catcher. Kellen Davis and Spaeth were simply no threat in the passing game.

There's not too many Giants fans crying about losing Bennett - especially a 5million a year

Everything is relative though. Relative to what he's replacing Bennett is a star. I personlly think he can go on and improve quite a bit.

Minder

Quote from: stew on March 15, 2013, 02:47:10 PM
Quote from: Declan on March 13, 2013, 09:15:20 PM
Sure didn't the bould Tom take less money to keep lads like Wes ;)

he did, he took 15 million less and was assured by the owner that he would keep the main men, they lost welker for a million a season over two years, thats ridiculous, I follow the Pats but the fcukers are loyal to know one and this is an awful decision that Brady is seriously pissed about, and well he should be, he gave back 15 mil to lose his best mate and number one receiver? Funny football as the man say's, rant over!

Stew, he didn't give up a penny. He is getting more guaranteed money now.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

cadhlancian

Regarding Percy harvin, a 1st round pick and 7th is very good business for a player who doesn't want o be there? Very few wideouts would command a 1st rd pick, namely Calvin Johnston andvAJ Green. Correct move by Minnesota in my book.
I honestly hope Seattle fail to make the playoffs! Wilson is a very pod QB and seems like a good kid.
Pete Carroll is a p***k though. Make NO doubt about it, the only reason he fucked off out of USC was he knew the ship was going down!
He manipulated the appeals systems last year after 2 of his corners were caught using adderall. One appealed the other didn't, essentially meaning that both would never be off the field at the same time.
Imagine if the pats , giants or even the 49 ers had done that.........

Syferus

Same can be said about Chip Kelly and dozens of other big name college coaches. The college system lends itself to bent rules.

orangeman

A YOUNG Irish American is poised to sign a deal to make him a mega sports star in the US – all thanks to his GAA kicking skills.

Patrick Murray (21) has NFL teams scrambling to secure his signature after discovering an uncanny knack for kicking field goals.

But his skills were honed on the GAA pitch where Patrick started out after his father Aidan emigrated from Clones, Co Monaghan, over 20 years ago.

Patrick is the most successful kicker in the history of his New York-based Fordham College football team. And he's already made the record books, having kicked the longest-ever field goal for his team.

He now stands to make millions of dollars in the coming years when he puts pen to paper and signs as a professional next month.

"Some big teams have already indicated some real interest. The base salary for most rookie players coming out of university is $413,000.

"But the highest-paid NFL player in my position on the field is currently earning around $2m a year," he told the Irish Independent from his home in the Bronx.

"I went to an open day recently and all 32 NFL teams had a representative there to watch me kick. I put on an absolute show for them – it was unbelievable.

"Afterwards I spoke with nearly every team and I've a workout organised with the New York Giants.

"When I sign papers at the end of April there's a signing-on bonus and that ranges from €5,000 to $40,000."

But despite his future career in American sport, he said he "bleeds green white and orange" and credits his success to playing Gaelic football as a kid.

"I got my leg strength from scoring points for my team and that made the transition to American football so much easier.

"I also come from a long line of Gaelic football players. My uncle, Ciaran, captained Monaghan in the 1980s. My other uncle, Ciaran, is the physio for the Irish national soccer team and he gives me advice on how to stay fit.

"I'm the kicker and punter on the team, which means I punt the football like you would in Gaelic – I learnt all I know from playing GAA."

stew

Quote from: orangeman on March 25, 2013, 10:06:23 AM
A YOUNG Irish American is poised to sign a deal to make him a mega sports star in the US – all thanks to his GAA kicking skills.

Patrick Murray (21) has NFL teams scrambling to secure his signature after discovering an uncanny knack for kicking field goals.

But his skills were honed on the GAA pitch where Patrick started out after his father Aidan emigrated from Clones, Co Monaghan, over 20 years ago.

Patrick is the most successful kicker in the history of his New York-based Fordham College football team. And he's already made the record books, having kicked the longest-ever field goal for his team.

He now stands to make millions of dollars in the coming years when he puts pen to paper and signs as a professional next month.

"Some big teams have already indicated some real interest. The base salary for most rookie players coming out of university is $413,000.

"But the highest-paid NFL player in my position on the field is currently earning around $2m a year," he told the Irish Independent from his home in the Bronx.

"I went to an open day recently and all 32 NFL teams had a representative there to watch me kick. I put on an absolute show for them – it was unbelievable.

"Afterwards I spoke with nearly every team and I've a workout organised with the New York Giants.

"When I sign papers at the end of April there's a signing-on bonus and that ranges from €5,000 to $40,000."

But despite his future career in American sport, he said he "bleeds green white and orange" and credits his success to playing Gaelic football as a kid.

"I got my leg strength from scoring points for my team and that made the transition to American football so much easier.

"I also come from a long line of Gaelic football players. My uncle, Ciaran, captained Monaghan in the 1980s. My other uncle, Ciaran, is the physio for the Irish national soccer team and he gives me advice on how to stay fit.

"I'm the kicker and punter on the team, which means I punt the football like you would in Gaelic – I learnt all I know from playing GAA."

Maybe the Ciaran's are brothers like the Darryl's from the Bob Newhouse show!

Fair play to him though, I will keep an eye on his career as long as the Vikes or Cowbhoys don't pick him up.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

Pat Summerall has died, aged 82.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Many here follow the NBA? I've got really into it in last two years or so. Very hard to see anyone stopping LeBron and co. Spurs and Thunder will battle for the West again. I sneakily fancied Denver after their run until they lost Gallo. No matter who comes out of the West, they won't have it against the Heat. OKC I think are a downgrade on last year - they should have traded Westbrook, not Harden.

stew

Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
Many here follow the NBA? I've got really into it in last two years or so. Very hard to see anyone stopping LeBron and co. Spurs and Thunder will battle for the West again. I sneakily fancied Denver after their run until they lost Gallo. No matter who comes out of the West, they won't have it against the Heat. OKC I think are a downgrade on last year - they should have traded Westbrook, not Harden.

The NBA is horrible until the playoffs, these boys dont show up until the second half of the season and college ball is far more popular.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Syferus

Quote from: stew on April 17, 2013, 08:08:53 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 17, 2013, 10:01:01 AM

The NBA is horrible until the playoffs, these boys dont show up until the second half of the season and college ball is far more popular.

Maybe not as harsh as you put it but the point is correct. Really enjoy watching the NBA once it hits the play-offs, some amazing stuff happens when those lads have to go at 100%.

The 82 game seasons are what makes it a bit of a bore for the early part of the year, both the NBA and MLB ruin their regular seasons by playing far too many games. Money talks, obviously.

Carmen Stateside

Love the NBA, been a great season so far for the NY Knicks. Tough series to come against Boston but fancy them to go through, and if any team can beat Miami it is the Knicks. Injuries may be the Knicks undoing. Fancy Knicks Heat Pacers and Nets in east with Nets Bulls being the toughest to call. In the west, Nuggets Spurs Thunder and Clippers just about over Grizzlies.  Lakers Spurs, Knicks Celtics should be the best of the first round games. Looking forward to it.

Carmen Stateside

Melo has come out firing. 10 points nicely in the first 5 minutes.  Garnett has started well for Celtics

J70

Knicks ground that win out nicely in the end.  :)

For all their defensive prowess, Celtics are very limited offensively, especially without Rondo.