American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 20, 2013, 03:09:44 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 14, 2013, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2013, 04:15:28 PM
Fair Cop Puck. I have been hard on Kapernick and I think Alex Smith got a raw enough old deal there, but Alex Smith would not have made the plays Kapernick did last night. He looked excellent so fair play to him. I still have doubts about him in this league, but he threw the ball a lot better than I gave him credit for last night.

Ah I'm just pulling your chain. Although I would say he is far from the finished article - I wonder why you might still have doubts about his ability in the league? I know we had a bit of craic back in the 2010 heisman run in, but this is a kid who threw, and ran, for 1000+ yards in 3 successive seasons. I think he will keep improving, and if he can reduce the errors he will be a major QB in the league in coming years. A much more explosive option than AS.

I missed the san fran v's Greenbay last week didn't realise Kapernick ran for 184 yards scored 2 touchdowns and threw 2 others as well untill i saw some highlights during the week . He was unreal and is lightening fast, he ran past the greenbay defence like they weren't there. Really looking forward to tonights matches would like to see Atlanta and Baltimore get through to the superbowl mainly because of Gonzalez and Lewis .

Feckit, Pats fall apart and choke away another SB opportunity.

The hoodie might well call it a day in NE, he could get any job he wants and his salary would be immense, if I was him I would look at it, Brady is heading into his mid thirties and banging at least one Supermodel, he looked weak kneed in the second half of that game.  :P
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

the Deel Rover

Wes Welkers wife doesn't like Ray Lewis too much it seems  ;). I didn't realise anything about the murder trial  I wasn't following American Football back in the nineties . 

In AFC Championship Game loss to the Ravens, Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker had eight catches for 117 yards and a touchdown. Looking solely at the box score, you'd figure it was a good outing. But Welker, whose dropped pass in last year's Super Bowl left the door open for a Giants comeback, had two drops Sunday night, the biggest coming early in the third quarter.

The Ravens scored on their next offensive possession and went on to outscore New England 21-0 in the second half.

After the game, Welker's wife, Anna Burns Welker, took to Facebook to support her husband -- and take a few shots at Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis, who will retire after the Super Bowl (via the Baltimore Sun).

"Proud of my husband and the Pats," Welker wrote on her Facebook page. "By the way, if anyone is bored, please go to Ray Lewis' Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!"

Then Welker did what people in such situations invariably do: Apologize for their momentary lapse in judgment.

"I'm deeply sorry for my recent post on Facebook," she said in a statement sent to Larry Brown Sports. "I let the competitiveness of the game and the comments people were making about a team I dearly love get the best of me.

"My actions were emotional and irrational and I sincerely apologize to Ray Lewis and anyone affected by my comment after yesterday's game," she continued. "It is such an accomplishment for any team to make it to the NFL playoffs, and the momentary frustration I felt should not overshadow the accomplishments of both of these amazing teams."

After the Pats lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl last year, Tom Brady's wife, Gisele Bundchen, was outspoken about how the game unfolded -- and Welker's role in the outcome.

"You (have) to catch the ball when you're supposed to catch the ball," she snapped at heckling Giants fans shortly after the final whistle. "My husband cannot (bleeping) throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time. I can't believe they dropped the ball so many times."

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Gabriel_Hurl

she needs to learn to keep her trap shut

heganboy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 22, 2013, 12:20:05 PM
please go to Ray Lewis' Wikipedia page. 6 kids 4 wives. Acquitted for murder. Paid a family off. Yay. What a hall of fame player! A true role model!"
one thing factually wrong with that, Lewis never married- thats 6 kids with 4 women married to none...

And as for the whole media throng gathered around his praying after the game- bollocks to it. Never a fan of people throwing religion in your face.

Buying off a murder charge and settling civil charges seems to be the way to go for rich people...

edit- just for the record, Mrs Welker is a former Miss Hooters...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 22, 2013, 03:20:56 PM

No doubt a point that his good self has hammered home since the post.

On Ray Lewis - always admired his determination never to be beaten - but I am begining to tire of this crying nonsense after the games. Thankfully there's only one game left.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Puckoon on January 22, 2013, 08:40:42 PM

On Ray Lewis - always admired his determination never to be beaten - but I am begining to tire of this crying nonsense after the games. Thankfully there's only one game left.

Me too. No need for that. He's supposed to be a man's man FFS, a leader. Once in a blue moon is acceptable but I think it was very contrived after the Patriots game.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 23, 2013, 10:55:26 AM
Quote from: Puckoon on January 22, 2013, 08:40:42 PM

Me too. No need for that. He's supposed to be a man's man FFS, a leader. Once in a blue moon is acceptable but I think it was very contrived after the Patriots game.

Deadspin last week.......

Patriots (-9) 27, Ravens 24: Ugh, these two again. I hope a f**king asteroid lands at midfield. I don't want the Pats to win. I REALLY don't want Ray Lewis to win. Ray Lewis is the f**king worst. I bet he hides a knife in that stupid arm brace of his. Here's what Lewis said about the Jacoby Jones's miracle TD at the end of Ravens-Broncos:

I can only tell you what I shared with (Joe Flacco)... I just told him God told me to come just do what I was supposed to do. And I just came and put my hands on (Flacco) and I just told him to go do what you do. And for that ball to drop into (Jones') hands with thirty seconds left, how else can you draw that up?

Got all that? God talks to Ray, Ray puts his MAGIC GOD HANDS on Joe Flacco, God causes Rahim Moore to blow his coverage, God then places the ball in Jacoby Jones's hands, Ravens tie the game. How ELSE would God draw it up? Did you really think that Ray Lewis's unsurpassed leadership skills and access to God's private hotline didn't factor into that play?

Ray Lewis is a fraud and a camera whore. I guarantee you half his teammates tuned him out six years ago. He's gonna spend all next year giving pep talks to teams on ESPN Countdown and it will suck dirty balls.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Asal Mor

I tried to watch "Ray Lewis - A Football Life" once and got through about 5 minutes. "Ray Lewis - Me and God " would have been a more accurate title. The God stuff is annoying to us but I suppose it's a cultural difference. We believe that religion should be a fairly personal and private thing. The Americans love to tell you about their love of God and all he does for them, even though you never asked - fair enough.  I don't really believe in an all-powerful creator myself but if I did I might want to declare my infinite love and gratitude to every friend, acquaintance, camera and microphone i could find.

Any Superbowl thoughts? Anything can happen on the big day but the San Fran offence should have too many weapons for the Ravens. Kaepernick, Gore, Crabtree, Davis etc. It's near impossible to stop them especially with Kaepernick's speed when he takes off and all the confusion they can create with play actions as a result. The Ravens are playing great but I think Flacco and the defense have played above themselves to get this far. If the 49ers get a good start I'd fancy them to win well.

Milltown Row2

Keys sang well, some opening at these games. New Orleans looking a lot better
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Yes, it was important she sang well.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ONeill on February 03, 2013, 11:30:40 PM
Yes, it was important she sang well.

And looked well, I'm only interested in the wardrobe malfunctions at half time.

Will record it head to bed (haltime only)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Wildweasel74

thats all she wrote, G i hate Baltimore, more ray lewis crying, christ

Tony Baloney

MasterShake

"Calmer than you are".

Wildweasel74

mastershake u beat me to it damn lol