Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA_Talk

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 17, 2013, 02:39:29 PM
Quote from: GAA_Talk on January 17, 2013, 01:45:27 PM
Anyone see this yet?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hMMRcT-jFc

And all the practising seems to have paid off,
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2259512/Havard-Rugland-NFL-Youtube-kicker-invited-second-trial-American-football-team.html

Impressive though I think a lot of his kicks are a little on the low side. Could be blocked?

I think it's more the accuracy and distance that has impressed them. He claims he can kick a field goal from about 65 yards. Still good going getting the trial from the video even if it doesn't work out for him.

heganboy

Quote from: heganboy on January 08, 2013, 06:06:15 PM
that game last night probably cost Manti Te'o millions and possibly a long pro career.

He's really having a banner year...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Capt Pat

Teo should be judged for his on field deeds not his love life.

gallsman

Quote from: Capt Pat on January 17, 2013, 10:36:20 PM
Teo should be judged for his on field deeds not his love life.

If he participated in a hoax concerning a dead girlfriend to stir up publicity he deserves every piece of judgment her gets.

AZOffaly

Absolutely. He is either a silly young man to be duped like that, or else he is a cynical, manipulative p***k.

I'm inclined to think he thought this person was real, but in no way considered her his 'girlfriend'. Probably an online flirtation as much as anything. Then when she 'died' it probably came out or was miscommunicated by someone that she was his girlfriend, and he seems to have been happy enough to go with this. This is the part I think was cynical. I'm willing to believe he allowed this to propogate because it cast him as a very sympathetic figure and a hero to the Notre Dame cause.

Where I think he crossed the line was when he found out it was all a hoax, apparently, by his own statement, on December 6th at the ESPN awards ceremony. Yet 2 days later he mentions her death when speaking about how good the ND coaches have been to him, and also how she would have advised him to believe in God etc.

So to answer my own question, unfortunately he may have been both. Stupid to fall for the fake online stuff, and cynical enough to use it to his advantage when he thought she had died and others labelled her his girlfriend.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Puckoon on January 14, 2013, 05:33:13 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on January 13, 2013, 04:15:28 PM
Fair Cop Puck. I have been hard on Kapernick and I think Alex Smith got a raw enough old deal there, but Alex Smith would not have made the plays Kapernick did last night. He looked excellent so fair play to him. I still have doubts about him in this league, but he threw the ball a lot better than I gave him credit for last night.

Ah I'm just pulling your chain. Although I would say he is far from the finished article - I wonder why you might still have doubts about his ability in the league? I know we had a bit of craic back in the 2010 heisman run in, but this is a kid who threw, and ran, for 1000+ yards in 3 successive seasons. I think he will keep improving, and if he can reduce the errors he will be a major QB in the league in coming years. A much more explosive option than AS.

I missed the san fran v's Greenbay last week didn't realise Kapernick ran for 184 yards scored 2 touchdowns and threw 2 others as well untill i saw some highlights during the week . He was unreal and is lightening fast, he ran past the greenbay defence like they weren't there. Really looking forward to tonights matches would like to see Atlanta and Baltimore get through to the superbowl mainly because of Gonzalez and Lewis .
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 18, 2013, 02:55:03 PM
Absolutely. He is either a silly young man to be duped like that, or else he is a cynical, manipulative p***k.

I'm inclined to think he thought this person was real, but in no way considered her his 'girlfriend'. Probably an online flirtation as much as anything. Then when she 'died' it probably came out or was miscommunicated by someone that she was his girlfriend, and he seems to have been happy enough to go with this. This is the part I think was cynical. I'm willing to believe he allowed this to propogate because it cast him as a very sympathetic figure and a hero to the Notre Dame cause.

Where I think he crossed the line was when he found out it was all a hoax, apparently, by his own statement, on December 6th at the ESPN awards ceremony. Yet 2 days later he mentions her death when speaking about how good the ND coaches have been to him, and also how she would have advised him to believe in God etc.

So to answer my own question, unfortunately he may have been both. Stupid to fall for the fake online stuff, and cynical enough to use it to his advantage when he thought she had died and others labelled her his girlfriend.

I think he is full of shite, no one, and I mean no one, is that stupid, I listened to the Rome show and I admit he was very convincing, now i think he is a sociopath who needs publicity to get where he wants to go in life.

Right now I wouldnt believe a word he say's, that said, he is a 21 year old kid who needs to grow up.

Finally, I wish him well and hope he gets his shit together.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Atlanta blew a 20 point lead last week, a 17 point one here (and got away with two turnovers - both awful from Ryan). Didn't deserve to get to the SB. Niners held up well and were very composed after going do far behind so early. Think caption came up at end of the first showing Julio Jones had 100 yards to SF's 1!!

heganboy

It a great story, 2 brothers coaching opposing teams in the Superbowl!
Pats were very poor tonight, and to be fair, the Ravens are flying at the minute.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Declan

Interesting scenario alright re the brothers. Niners favourites I presume?

Gabriel_Hurl

Niners are 5 point favourites

magpie seanie

Delighted for the two winning sides. I remember Jim Harbaugh from his Chicago days when he was a decent QB in a team that was good but not good enough to revisit the glory of '85/6. It's an incredible story. Normally if your brother won the SB you'd be  delighted but it will a bad day for whoever loses. Think it could be a very tight battle. Fancied the 'niners from a long way out but with the run Baltimore is on...who knows?

tyroneman

Shameful second half (again) by the Falcons. Niners there for the taking.

Hope Baltimore go on and win it.

Wildweasel74

What happened the 2nd Half with New England, went to bed at half time, it looked like they would run away with it, bad mistake with a late time out for the field goal in the 1st Half when an early time out would have given another throw for Brady. 49ers would need to up it abit, they be favourites but seem to be slow starters