American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: heganboy on January 08, 2013, 06:06:15 PM
that game last night probably cost Manti Te'o millions and possibly a long pro career.

Surely you're not serious?

He'll still be a top 10 or 15 pick or indeed higher if Rex gets his way. Star rookies no longer get huge contracts by being drafted high so it's barely cost him a dollar. The senior bowl is still to come anyways and that and Manti's leadership and consistent excellence will count for far more than being beat by perhaps the greatest dynasty college football has ever seen.

Nothing in college gives any player a 'long pro career'.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Syferus on January 08, 2013, 05:27:52 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2013, 05:12:56 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on January 08, 2013, 03:38:49 PM
RGIII has reported tears to ACL and MCL. Not sure how long that sidelines him for and who's decision it was for him to play but a sad loss to the franchise if he is out for as long as some have reported.

Irish were hammered last night. Couldn't believe it. Didn't expect them to win but to take a beating like that was hard to watch.
Bama are some set up.

That being the case I'd say he has phoned Adrian Peterson already and if he hasn't he needs to.

As for the responsibility for him getting injured - remember Jay Cutler against Green Bay a couple of years back in the NFC Championship game. Got whipped for not playing on. People can't have it both ways.....

Read an article on the ND/'bama game and playoff in College football. God they really should abandon this BCS crap now and have proper playoffs.
#

Already planned by 2014, keep up with the news!  ;)

It wouldn't have mattered this year or in any of the last seven years anyways. The SEC teams just are a class apart and the best teams in it invariably are the best teams in America.

Err, Iknow a 4 team playoff is in place for 2014 but why wait that long and why limit it to 4 teams? 8 would be better. This thing of voting for the best team is rubbish as was proved by 'bama's demolition of ND.

stew

RG111 will be back for the start of the season, he has the worlds best kneww surgeon on the case and they are saying that 6-8 months is the timeframe.

The pack are going to win this weekend, they are going to be hard to stop at this stage.

Hope the Pats take care of business and dont lay another egg in the playoffs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteThe 2011 Heisman Trophy winner, one of the top first-year players in the National Football League this season, underwent reconstructive surgery on his right knee to repair torn lateral and anterior cruciate ligaments suffered in Sunday's wildcard playoff loss to Seattle.

"Robert Griffin III had successful knee surgery early this morning," his doctor, James Andrews, said in a statement. "He had a direct repair of his LCL and a re-do of his previous ACL reconstruction.

"We expect a full recovery and it is everybody's hope and belief that due to Robert's high motivation, he will be ready for the 2013 season."

The surgery was deemed necessary after Andrews discovered a complete tear of the patellar graft that was used to repair Griffin's torn ACL when he was at Baylor in 2009.

Griffin reinjured the knee in the first quarter of the 24-14 loss to the Seahawks but remained in the game until reinjuring it in the fourth quarter.

"The goal of his treatment is to give him the best opportunity for a long professional career," said Andrews.

Griffin thanked his fans for their "prayers and support" in a twitter message early on Wednesday.

"I love God, my family, my team, the fans, & I love this game. See you guys next season," he wrote.

Syferus

This is RG3's second ACL tear, remember. He'll probably be back early next season at worst but there's absolutely no way he'll be 100% until far later, perhaps as late as the 2014 season. After two ACLs and a LCL too you worry about it happening again because his career will start to be written off by people.

thejuice

This weekend I predict

Falcons beat Seahawks

Broncos beat Ravens

Patriots beat Texans

Packers beat 49ers
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossie11

Odds on the weekends games

Broncos 2/9 Ravens 7/2.     H'cap  Broncos -9.5pts both teams 10/11
Pats 1/5  Texans 15/4         H'cap   Pats -9.5pts  both teams 10/11
49ers 4/6 Packers 6/5         H'cap 49ers -3pts  both teams 10/11
Falcons 4/6 Seahawks 5/4  H'cap Falcons -3pts  both teams 10/11

magpie seanie

This week I'll go for Denver, New England, San Francisco and Seattle. Just have a feeling one of the home favourites gets done and it might just be the Falcons.

Minder

I will go for -

Denver to win, Baltimore to beat the spread of 9.5
Green Bay by less than 5.
New England by quite a lot
Atlanta by 10.

Atlanta should win but if they perform as they usually do in the playoffs they will be out.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

I'm going Ravens, I think their auld dog for the hard road act has one more kick in it.
I also like the niners at home, but I'm nervous about Kapernick, so I might say Green Bay.
Patriots to beat the Texans
Seattle to beat Atlanta. Seattle might well be the 2012/13 Cardinals. Except with a Defense.

Syferus

Seattle are a way better quantifiable side than that Cardinals team. Plenty fancy them to go on a run too. Peter Caroll has built the makings of a fantastic team and Wilson and the passing game is only getting better.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
Seattle are a way better quantifiable side than that Cardinals team. Plenty fancy them to go on a run too. Peter Caroll has built the makings of a fantastic team and Wilson and the passing game is only getting better.

A way better quatifiable team? What does that mean? :D

I do agree that they are better balanced team. Carroll has a great D, and his offense is good enough. The Cardinals of 2009 had a great Offense and a Defense that couldn't stop a cough.

I meant that they may be the Wildcard that goes to the Superbowl. I could have picked a few teams as precedent in fairness.

Capt Pat

The Broncos, Patriots in the AFC and the Falcons and Packers in the NFC look good this weekend.

The Iceman

Seattle for the upset!
Big game for Lynch and the D to step up and overturn some plays
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Syferus

I mean that compared to the Cardinals when they entered the Playoffs that year the Seahawks more battleproven and demostrating the ability to beat even top teams on their day. The Cardinals entered those Playoffs almost as a joke, having been humilated by the Patriots only a week or two earlier and coming from one of the silky softest divisions the NFL has thrown up in recent memory.

Turned out they had much more in the tank than anyone thought given how well they went even the next season but compared to the form the Seahawks have shown this year they're entering the playoffs with a far more proven team by any standard.