American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Quote from: tyroneman on December 17, 2012, 12:55:19 AM
Dallas OT win - I thought you had to score a TD on your first posssion to win immediately? Dallas score a FG and win on their first drive???

What's the story?

Not exactly. The rule is that each team must have the opportunity to score, unless the first team scores a TD. If the Steelers turned the ball over, then they essentially failed in their opportunity to score, so the Cowboys only had to score a field goal.

magpie seanie

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on December 16, 2012, 09:05:36 PM
Some strange calls in the bears game from the refs fucked my bet up. Bears fans must pull their hair out at the cnut Cutler, useless is not the word.

Bears were robbed by the refs in the end. Disgracefully one-sided calls involving Jeffery on at least 3 occasions.

As for Cutler I think he deserves a break. The Sky pundits said "the difference was the 2 QB's" but I think that's bull. The difference was the two offensive lines plus Rodgers has more reliable receiving options as Stew has said.

It was a better performance from da Bears all in all and gives me hope they can pick up wins on the road to get into the playoffs. AZ won't be as fired up next week and Detroit looked terrible last night. Would be some disaster to not make playoffs after starting 7-1.

Crete Boom

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 17, 2012, 11:01:39 AM
Some strange calls in the bears game from the refs fucked my bet up. Bears fans must pull their hair out at the cnut Cutler, useless is not the word.

Bears were robbed by the refs in the end. Disgracefully one-sided calls involving Jeffery on at least 3 occasions.

As for Cutler I think he deserves a break. The Sky pundits said "the difference was the 2 QB's" but I think that's bull. The difference was the two offensive lines plus Rodgers has more reliable receiving options as Stew has said.

It was a better performance from da Bears all in all and gives me hope they can pick up wins on the road to get into the playoffs. AZ won't be as fired up next week and Detroit looked terrible last night. Would be some disaster to not make playoffs after starting 7-1.

Yeah there was a few harsh calls but the real problem lies in having only 90 yards offence in the game. I do think Cutler does a good job with what he has to throw too. Apart from Marshall he has nobody i.e no tight end cause Kellen Davis has to block most of the time ,  Jeffrey and Johnny Knox just aren't good enough and Hester is essentially a punt returner! The play calling on offence isn't brilliant either but again this is probably dictated by having such crap protection for the offensive line. In fairness to Rogers if you give him only a tiny amount of protection he is brilliant but I thought the Bears D played excellent again and Tillman must have the record for forced strips of the ball by now. Oh the joys of being a Bears fan :'(.

Greenbay should go far but I think the lack of a running game and some crazy calls in special teams will probably cost them a Conference title. The Bears are in trouble now with their crappy head to head divisional record and could lose out to the Vikings if they turn over Greenbay at home. Even if they do get into the playoffs I doubt they'll go far with the Seahawks, the 49ers , the Packers and one of Washington or Dallas my favourites for the NFC at the moment. I'm probably being a bit harsh on the Falcons but there is something unbalanced about them to me at the moment but they are right in the mix too and will probably prove me wrong this year!

Great to see Adrian Peterson back in the groove after his injury problems and it would be some achievement for him to beat Dickersons record but remember Eric Dickerson had one less game(16) to set the record and Dickerson also broke OJ's record in 15 games, the same amount OJ played to set his record!!!

magpie seanie

Peterson will only play 16 games this regular season. There were no bye weeks when Dickerson did it but frankly I think this is the greatest season by a RB regardless of what happens in the last two games. Simply incredible.

Minder

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 17, 2012, 12:30:03 PM
Peterson will only play 16 games this regular season. There were no bye weeks when Dickerson did it but frankly I think this is the greatest season by a RB regardless of what happens in the last two games. Simply incredible.

Just to put into perspective the season he is having, in the last 8 games he has rushed for 1313 yards. (The most in NFL history over an 8 game period)

Most running backs would consider that an excellent season over 16 games.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Crete Boom

Quote from: Minder on December 17, 2012, 01:01:04 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 17, 2012, 12:30:03 PM

Just to put into perspective the season he is having, in the last 8 games he has rushed for 1313 yards. (The most in NFL history over an 8 game period)

Most running backs would consider that an excellent season over 16 games.

All I can say is wow. That must surely put him in the Jim Brown/ The Juice/Sweetness Walter Payton bracket of all time greatest running backs!

AZOffaly

Factor in that he's coming back from an injury that most people thought would seriously degrade his performance, and it's even more remarkable.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 17, 2012, 02:39:28 PM
Factor in that he's coming back from an injury that most people thought would seriously degrade his performance, and it's even more remarkable.

I heard something the other day that was interesting from Peterson, he said he prefers it when teams put 8 or 9 players in the box because if he breaks it he is gone, as there are no safeties or linebackers to get past.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Yeah, I heard that too, but to be honest I put it down to reverse psychology. :) I'd say a 4 Wide set against a team playing nickel would get his eyes wide too in fairness :D

magpie seanie

It's ok getting close to him but getting him down is another thing. His power, strength and determination are something else but then to have such ridiculous acceleration and sustained speed as well - just awesome.

Can't beleive I didn't take a chance on him in at least one fantasy league - was convinced it couldn't be done in a tough league like the NFL.

Puckoon

So: AP for MVP? Or Peyton "returning from 4 neck surgeries" Manning who has revitalized the Broncos?

Coffee time talk over here on first word.

stew

Quote from: Crete Boom on December 17, 2012, 11:32:52 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on December 17, 2012, 11:01:39 AM

Yeah there was a few harsh calls but the real problem lies in having only 90 yards offence in the game. I do think Cutler does a good job with what he has to throw too. Apart from Marshall he has nobody i.e no tight end cause Kellen Davis has to block most of the time ,  Jeffrey and Johnny Knox just aren't good enough and Hester is essentially a punt returner! The play calling on offence isn't brilliant either but again this is probably dictated by having such crap protection for the offensive line. In fairness to Rogers if you give him only a tiny amount of protection he is brilliant but I thought the Bears D played excellent again and Tillman must have the record for forced strips of the ball by now. Oh the joys of being a Bears fan :'(.

Greenbay should go far but I think the lack of a running game and some crazy calls in special teams will probably cost them a Conference title. The Bears are in trouble now with their crappy head to head divisional record and could lose out to the Vikings if they turn over Greenbay at home. Even if they do get into the playoffs I doubt they'll go far with the Seahawks, the 49ers , the Packers and one of Washington or Dallas my favourites for the NFC at the moment. I'm probably being a bit harsh on the Falcons but there is something unbalanced about them to me at the moment but they are right in the mix too and will probably prove me wrong this year!

Great to see Adrian Peterson back in the groove after his injury problems and it would be some achievement for him to beat Dickersons record but remember Eric Dickerson had one less game(16) to set the record and Dickerson also broke OJ's record in 15 games, the same amount OJ played to set his record!!!

The bears should not have been in that game at all at all by the end of the 3rd quarter, as for the calls, that is shite, the Packers got screwed twice by the refs with the same muppet the offender on both plays, the Pack should have been out of sight but for the crappy play calling, McCarthy is getting too cute for his woen good.

Crosby is a hell of a kicker but he is gone between the ears and wont make the ned of the season, they have to bring someone in or they will be done early in the postseason.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

thejuice

Quote from: Puckoon on December 17, 2012, 04:54:35 PM
So: AP for MVP? Or Peyton "returning from 4 neck surgeries" Manning who has revitalized the Broncos?

Coffee time talk over here on first word.

Peterson for me, if he breaks the record it will be a disgrace if  he doesn't. 
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

J70

Can the Jets sink any lower? Struggling against the worst defence in the league, they're gifted the ball on the Titans 25 yard line in the last minute from a shockingly bad punt, and Sanchez (after 4 interceptions) fumbles a low snap on the very first play!!

And what the f**k was Soprano ay spending in Tebow at a point when Sanchez was actually doing (relatively) all right?

RealSpiritof98

Monday Night Football on the RED button on the beeb now for any night hawks, Falcons/Lions, not much riding on it but a good game so far