American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

lads, my cousin is coming home from the states for an American footy match in the Aviva next weekend, he tells me he has a ticket for me,

never watached this in my life, is this a big game, something that would be worth going to? or should i just hang back in the bar and let him at it

i think it is some college match, sorry if this has already been discussed
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Capt Pat

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 23, 2012, 08:55:41 PM
lads, my cousin is coming home from the states for an American footy match in the Aviva next weekend, he tells me he has a ticket for me,

never watached this in my life, is this a big game, something that would be worth going to? or should i just hang back in the bar and let him at it

i think it is some college match, sorry if this has already been discussed
[/quote

Some people on here are desperate for tickets to that game. If you are giving up the ticket you will make a lot of freinds on here very quickly. Tickets are going for a small fortune on the gum tree and e bay

It is Notre Dame v Navy.

Onion Bag

Cheers capt pat, he has 4 tickets, me him and another are going, the other ticket is for some yank. I might cash mine in on ebay

AZOffaly

don't sell it on Ebay you numpty :) There's lads here would beg for it :)

It's Notre Dame versus Navy, a regular season college game which is one of the older traditional matches that happens every season. It's a sell out in the Aviva. Don't go to Ebay for Jaysus' sake.

Onion Bag

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 24, 2012, 10:10:45 AM
don't sell it on Ebay you numpty :) There's lads here would beg for it :)

It's Notre Dame versus Navy, a regular season college game which is one of the older traditional matches that happens every season. It's a sell out in the Aviva. Don't go to Ebay for Jaysus' sake.

Ok ok ok AZ, i will take the game in, never watched American fuzz ball before never mind been to a game, i suppose it will be a new experience, AZ you numpty

Declan

Accusations of extortion over American football match
By Stephen Rogers
Monday, August 27, 2012
With less than a week to go to the sellout Emerald Isle Classic American Football game at the Aviva Stadium, one of the teams has accused the sport's Irish association of attempted extortion.
The Sept 1 match between the US Naval Academy and Notre Dame has spawned a bitter dispute between the Irish American Football Association (IAFA) and Navy.

As reported by the Irish Examiner earlier this month, IAFA, the national governing body for American Football in Ireland which is recognised by the Irish Sports Council and the Federation of Irish Sports, accused Navy of refusing to comply with sanctioning conditions it agreed and signed with IAFA in Mar 2011.

Those conditions included a number of agreements designed to promote the game in this country. The cost of the terms is about €75,000.

However, the naval team has claimed it never agreed to make the contributions.

Athletic director Chet Gladchuk told US-based Marine Corps Times that while it did apply for sanctioning from IAFA for the game in Mar 2011, once it became clear that the IAFA "had no real legal oversight for the game" discussions were dropped.

"We've been running football for 130 years, as has Notre Dame," Mr Gladchuk told the magazine.

"We certainly don't need a parochial association to give us advice on how to conduct a Navy-Notre Dame event."

He said the academy would continue to "offer visibility" at the game as a courtesy to IAFA.

"We'll do what we can to appease or accommodate them to whatever the degree. But we're not going to allow them to extort unjustified resources."

stew

St Norbert's college in the Green Bay area plays John Carroll University in their season opener this coming Friday at Donnybrook with the kickoff at 7:30, they are a Division 3 school but are a nationally renowned at that level, this would be worth seeing if any of you have an interest, just thought I would let you all know.  :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Oraisteach

Are you kidding, Stew.  Took plenty of graduate classes at JCU.  It's home to NFL player London Fletcher and coaching great Don Shula.  Go Blue Streaks.

AZOffaly

Declan

ballinaman

Ticketmaster threw up a few tickets for the Aviva there on Saturday , nabbed one. Delighted.

Capt Pat

If there are tickets for it on ticket master. That means the market for the 500 euro tickets on E Bay and gum tree has collapsed.

magpie seanie

Quote from: stew on August 27, 2012, 05:24:23 PM
St Norbert's college in the Green Bay area plays John Carroll University in their season opener this coming Friday at Donnybrook with the kickoff at 7:30, they are a Division 3 school but are a nationally renowned at that level, this would be worth seeing if any of you have an interest, just thought I would let you all know.  :)

Would love to be able to go to Dublin this weekend.

Declan

Was going to post this in the WTF thread but anyway:

Neil Diamond's 'Sweet Caroline' banned from Penn State football games over 'touching you' lyric

NEIL Diamond's classic hit 'Sweet Caroline' has been banned at all of Penn State's football games in the wake of the Jerry Sandusky scandal, it has been reported.

Sandusky is a former Penn State football coach who was convicted in June of multiple charges of sexual abuse over a 15 year period.

Diamond's classic hit had long been played as part of the sing-along during the football games, however sources have told the Altoona Mirror that school management became uncomfortable with its continued use due to the "reaching out, touching me, touching you" lyrics.

Penn State officials also confirmed to the paper that the song has been pulled from the playlist at the games.

However David La Torre, a school spokesman, has denied that the lyrics played any role in their decision to pull the song.

"The song has come up on the list in recent years because it happens to be played in so many other professional and collegiate venues and has no real origination here at Penn State," La Torre told ESPN.

Penn State was fined $60m (€48m) in July over allegations that several school officials attempted to hide Sandusky's actions.

Declan

Fair crowd of Notre Damers around Ballsbridge at lunchtime. No leprechauns though ;)

Getting Pairc Tailteann ready: