American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Is this the Ken Burns series?

If so, its superb, as have all the documentary series made by the Burns brothers.

5 Sams

Quote from: J70 on April 06, 2012, 03:04:25 PM

If so, its superb, as have all the documentary series made by the Burns brothers.

That's the one....top class.
The Aristocrat Years

magpie seanie

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on April 05, 2012, 02:48:34 PM
Audio of the Saints bounty program in full effect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhnn9kbqQUA

Scandalous stuff. Any of us that played sport would not be shrinking violets and there is a certain macho BS element to some of these speeches but that's way, way past the line. Disgusting stuff.

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: 5 Sams on April 06, 2012, 03:40:42 PM

The series is brilliant but PBS have absolutely massacred it in the editing. They've only included about half the original series with each episode about an hour long compared to at least two originally and they've managed to leave out some pretty important stuff

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 06, 2012, 04:10:42 PM

Scandalous stuff. Any of us that played sport would not be shrinking violets and there is a certain macho BS element to some of these speeches but that's way, way past the line. Disgusting stuff.

Hardly Scandalous!
They were the only team caught, it's common place in all locker rooms according to some unnamed players.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 06, 2012, 11:57:27 PM

Hardly Scandalous!
They were the only team caught, it's common place in all locker rooms according to some unnamed players.

I must be leading a sheltered life. Talk of targetting guys heads and ACL's is scandalous in my view and even if the whole world is at it it's still disgraceful.

The Claw

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 07, 2012, 12:47:11 AM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on April 06, 2012, 11:57:27 PM

Hardly Scandalous!

I must be leading a sheltered life. Talk of targetting guys heads and ACL's is scandalous in my view and even if the whole world is at it it's still disgraceful.

Total disgrace. He will never get a job coaching again. It's not like he had a few words here and there, the whole speech was about injuring the other team.

Carmen Stateside

You would never hear it round a Gaa field! Several times I have witnessed Managers shouting in to his tough defender to " take him out of it the next time he touches it".  Many a Gaa player has also had his injury "tested " early under instruction from coaches.  I personally don't see the problem, it's men against men in a contact sport.

stew

The only player I ever saw take it handy on an opponent when he had him dead to rights was the late, great Reggie White, he was so good he literally jumped over player to get to the QB, and once there, he wrapped him up and dropped to the ground without injuring him.

Speeches like the one being banded about on tv and the web are the norm, they happen all over the country and if everyone is trying to be a human highlight reel where is the problem?

The unfortunately named saints simply got caught saying and doing what others have done for decades, the whole thing is hypocrisy, period, end of!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GalwayBayBoy

Had Williams just said in broad terms "take player A out of it" or "hit player B hard" he might have just got a regular ban but the fact that he specifically mentions targetting the head of a player with concussion history and to blow out another player's ACL is a bit too close to the bone. I think there is a line that is palatable and he stepped way over it. Especially at a time when things like head trauma is a big issue in the NFL.

Capt Pat

That is true to some extent but there is a price to pay for playing in a big money business like the NFL.

NFl chief Goodell is cleaning up the dark side of the game and the Saints got caught running a bounty system so they are going to be hung out to dry. It is a big money media business and the Saints are going to suffer because of that reality there are cameras and sound recording equipment every where
and the NFL will face massive lawsuits from injured and broke players beccause of this.

They are lucky Brett Favre isn't broke because he would have a big lawsuit from his treatment in the 09 NFC championship game.

Quote from: stew on April 07, 2012, 03:16:40 PM
The only player I ever saw take it handy on an opponent when he had him dead to rights was the late, great Reggie White, he was so good he literally jumped over player to get to the QB, and once there, he wrapped him up and dropped to the ground without injuring him.

Speeches like the one being banded about on tv and the web are the norm, they happen all over the country and if everyone is trying to be a human highlight reel where is the problem?

The unfortunately named saints simply got caught saying and doing what others have done for decades, the whole thing is hypocrisy, period, end of!

thejuice

That 09 Championship game was hard to watch. Favre, as annoying as it was to see him dragging his career out, it was sickening watching getting lumps knocked out of him. Now that we know the truth of it, it sits even worse in the memory.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Whats the craic with tickets for the Irish Vs Navy game? Sold out?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

It seems so.  :(

I'm looking for 2 tickets if there are any spare?

J70

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on April 06, 2012, 10:51:57 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on April 06, 2012, 03:40:42 PM

The series is brilliant but PBS have absolutely massacred it in the editing. They've only included about half the original series with each episode about an hour long compared to at least two originally and they've managed to leave out some pretty important stuff

Its currently available on Netflix on their online service. No idea if they've edited it. Surprised at PBS though as they're usually excellent.