American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 20, 2012, 07:31:39 PM
They won't be students lads. Notre Dame have a huge following around the states, members of the Alum society, boosters etc. They brought a big crowd with them in 1996, so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring a lot with them this time too. However, 30k seems a stretch alright.
That's what the priest who's dean or something said during the st patricks day parade on RTE. Tickets sold out on ticketmaster already.

thejuice

Hopefully not.

Hines Ward has retired. Great player, has 2 Superbowl rings. He was great in Superbowl XL especially when Big Ben was as awkward as a mule that day.

He didn't win any fans in Cincinnati or Baltimore with some of the hits he made on them and some will always consider him dirty.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

LMAO at the Tebow situation. Sports fans are so fickle. We've got Peyton Manning - Tim who?

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Makes sense, especially if they draft Ryan Tannehill to groom him for a year. Tebow would obviously help their attendance figures in Florida.

Hound

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 21, 2012, 10:42:10 AM
LMAO at the Tebow situation. Sports fans are so fickle. We've got Peyton Manning - Tim who?
Well obviously the fans had nothing to do with getting Manning. And there was far less fan pressure in Denver to get Manning than there was in Arizona and Miami.

But nobody's going to turn their nose up at Peyton Manning. I don't think the top guys in Denver ever really fancied Tebow, but this way they can get rid of him without causing a riot.
Still I'd imagine most Broncos fans would prefer to keep him as a Plan B rather than trade him for an extra 5th round pick or whatever it'll be.

Supposedly 5 teams have made enquiries for him so far, including Jets and Jags.

Carmen Stateside

Tebow to the Jets is a done deal, in exchange for a fourth round pick.

GalwayBayBoy

Sean Payton head coach of the Saints suspended for a year over the bounty program. Def coordinator suspended indefinitely. They also lose some draft picks this year and next.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 21, 2012, 04:56:07 PM

Stephan A Smith on espn New York, is going crazy bout it, he's a good listen !

J70

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 21, 2012, 05:11:23 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 21, 2012, 04:56:07 PM

Stephan A Smith on espn New York, is going crazy bout it, he's a good listen !

I can imagine. I listened to a bit of him yesterday!

Hard to know what to make of it. Might light a fire under Sanchez, but I can't see Tebow replacing him as starter unless Sanchez really fucks it up.

The Jets running game was poor enough last year though!

Carmen Stateside

First poor game Sanchez has, NY fans will be screaming for Tebow. 

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on March 21, 2012, 05:17:40 PM
First poor game Sanchez has, NY fans will be screaming for Tebow.

So after the first game of the season then. ;D

magpie seanie

The soap opera continues....

J70

And when they notice that Tebow can't throw the ball they'll appreciate Sanchez a bit more! Teams have seen enough of Tebow now to defend against him. Sanchez is the better quarterback by far. Hopefully he sorts out his issues with the likes of Holmes and this motivates him to consistently produce his playoff performances.

How will Tebow handle the ruthless NYC media?

dec

New Orleans hit pretty hard for the bounty hunting scheme.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7718136/sean-payton-new-orleans-saints-banned-one-year-bounties

"Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for the first eight regular-season games, the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons that targeted opposing players.

Saints assistant coach Joe Vitt also was suspended six games and fined $100,000. The NFL said in its statement that the suspensions for Payton, Loomis and Vitt are without pay...."