American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stew on November 21, 2011, 08:51:13 PM
Timbow got er done again I see, how can a man that cant play the game win so much???? ;)

The Broncos defence is what won them the Jets game really. It was a nice run from Tebow at the end alright but long-term you can't have a QB who can't throw the ball. You might get away with it for a few games but long-term you'll end up losing more than you win.

stew

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 21, 2011, 09:48:30 PM
Timbow got er done again I see, how can a man that cant play the game win so much???? ;)

The Broncos defence is what won them the Jets game really. It was a nice run from Tebow at the end alright but long-term you can't have a QB who can't throw the ball. You might get away with it for a few games but long-term you'll end up losing more than you win.

I could not disagree more, teams have won the superbowl running the ball with far less talent than Tebow has doing it. The lad is what, 5-1. I keep waiting for all these inevitable losses but they never happen.

You have to admit he is a natural born winner, he finds a way to get it done week in and week out, and this on a very average team.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

David McKeown

Quote from: stew on November 21, 2011, 04:00:29 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on November 21, 2011, 12:31:38 PM
The Vikings lost again but it helps us chase a top draft pick. I am hoping for the left tackle or the wide receiver Blackmon in the drwft to make up for a crappy season.

The vikings are one of the worst run organizations in sports.

Let's see, where to start.

1) They failed to get their first round draft pick to the podium on time and lost the spot, major embarrassment number 1.

2) The love boat incident hurt the reputation of the club.

3) Randy Moss drives his car into a meter lady as a viking.

4) Chilly, their former coach begs Favre to play for him, picked him up at the airport and went on to see favre stab him in the back numberous times, he managed to get them to the NFC title game and imploded by winging it when all he had to do was fall forward and they would have had a field goal. They lose and the following year was a disaster, Chilly out and favre was shite.

5) The roof collapses in that dump of a stadium, thank God no one was there to get killed.

6) They pick up a washed up quarterback (again) and he is benched after a couple of horrible games and they are out of contention before October is over.

7) Now their fans want them to lose out to get the first pick in the draft.................................... not happening, Indy have that puppy locked up and the next superstar QB in Indy will be drafted thanks to them going )-16 this season.

8) Most importantly, a player died due to dedyhydration, apparently it was not manly to take on board water in 90 degree heat whilst at mini camp, the poor b**tard feel over and died needlessly.

That is some legacy they have going on over there, they are terrible and long may it continue.

I was staying in the University of Minnesota when this happened and it turned me into a Vikings fan.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

mc_grens

Quote from: stew on November 21, 2011, 10:04:21 PM

I could not disagree more, teams have won the superbowl running the ball with far less talent than Tebow has doing it. The lad is what, 5-1. I keep waiting for all these inevitable losses but they never happen.

You have to admit he is a natural born winner, he finds a way to get it done week in and week out, and this on a very average team.

Best player on the field last Thursday- Von Miller. Absolute wrecking ball of a player at DE/ OLB.

One thing that I thought summed Tebow's ability at QB up for me... The broncos gained possession of the ball inside jets territory 5 times and got only 3 points out of those possessions. Also, against the jets base 3-4 he struggled badly. In the last drive the jets went prevent and added an extra DB, not expecting so many programmed QB runs, only then did he make ground.

Broncos D was excellent, Sanchez was muck. Two far bigger factors.

Also, according to ESPN next level, during the now infamous 2-8 performance Tebow had an open receiver all 8 times he threw the ball and just plain whiffed on 75% of his throws. He is not good.

This all reminds me of the Wildcat. An unorthodox offense that befuddled most opponents first time round, but after an off season of looking at the tape NFL Defenses had it figured out.

mc_grens

1) They failed to get their first round draft pick to the podium on time and lost the spot, major embarrassment number 1.

This isn't actually entirely true. The Vikes did get their pick to the podium in time. They were trading picks with Baltimore, realising that their target- Kevin Williams- would be there when Baltimore were due to pick. The Vikes did their bit, Baltimore were too slow to get their half of the deal up to the table in time.

The next two teams then rushed in their picks, causing Minnesota's pick to slip two places from 7 to 9, when they promptly picked Williams. They didn't lose the pick.

For the record Baltimore were picking 10th, and would have given Minnesota a 4th and a 6th to swap 1st rounders, as they wanted to draft Byron Leftwich!

J70

Quote from: mc_grens on November 22, 2011, 12:13:14 AM
Quote from: stew on November 21, 2011, 10:04:21 PM

Best player on the field last Thursday- Von Miller. Absolute wrecking ball of a player at DE.

One thing that I thought summed Tebow's ability at QB up for me... The broncos gained possession of the ball inside jets territory 5 times and got only 3 points out of those possessions. Also, against the jets base 3-4 he struggled badly. In the last drive the jets went prevent and added an extra DB, not expecting so many programmed QB runs, only then did he make ground.

Broncos D was excellent, Sanchez was muck. Two far bigger factors.

Also, according to ESPN next level, during the now infamous 2-8 performance Tebow had an open receiver all 8 times he threw the ball and just plain whiffed on 75% of his throws. He is not good.

This all reminds me of the Wildcat. An unorthodox offense that befuddled most opponents first time round, but after an off season of looking at the tape NFL Defenses had it figured out.

In a nutshell. And until they changed their tactics on that last drive, the Jets had Tebow and the Denver offense in their pocket. They've done well to win, albeit against poor teams (and a Jets team that played four nights previously and an Oakland team with a new QB). Eventually teams will figure out how to handle Tebow, and if he doesn't learn to put the ball somewhere near his receivers, he'll not last as a starting QB. Elway didn't exactly give him a vote of confidence today.

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on November 22, 2011, 12:24:57 AM

This isn't actually entirely true. The Vikes did get their pick to the podium in time. They were trading picks with Baltimore, realising that their target- Kevin Williams- would be there when Baltimore were due to pick. The Vikes did their bit, Baltimore were too slow to get their half of the deal up to the table in time.

The next two teams then rushed in their picks, causing Minnesota's pick to slip two places from 7 to 9, when they promptly picked Williams. They didn't lose the pick.

For the record Baltimore were picking 10th, and would have given Minnesota a 4th and a 6th to swap 1st rounders, as they wanted to draft Byron Leftwich!

That is on the vikings, no other team leaves it in the hands of another team to take care of their business, this impacted the vikings and embarrassed the shite of them. True story.

mc_grens

Quote from: stew on November 22, 2011, 04:46:20 PM
Quote from: mc_grens on November 22, 2011, 12:24:57 AM

That is on the vikings, no other team leaves it in the hands of another team to take care of their business, this impacted the vikings and embarrassed the shite of them. True story.

Thats the way its done. The league has to get confirmation from both teams separately. Otherwise how can they possibly be assured that the trade is legit?

E.g. If I were Al Davis I could've walked up and handed in a bit of paper saying I'd agreed to trade the number one pick for Peyton Manning instead of drafting Jamarcus Russell, and one from the Colts saying they agreed to it!

Of course I'd have been lying and chaos would have reigned if they accepted my word!

In fairness to the Ravens they claimed through an un-named source at the time that they had been trying to ring the league desk to confirm, but nobody picked up!

the Deel Rover

Looking forward to the matches tomorrow night . thought i heard the lads on newstalk lastnight say that Detroit play every thanksgiving some sort of tradition is this correct ?
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Minder

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 23, 2011, 07:32:06 AM
Looking forward to the matches tomorrow night . thought i heard the lads on newstalk lastnight say that Detroit play every thanksgiving some sort of tradition is this correct ?

That's correct, and Cowboys always have in recent times too.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

magpie seanie

What TV station are showing Monday Night Football? I thought it was ESPN but didn't see the NE/KC game listed the other evening.

I assume SKY are showing the Thanksgiving triple header?

AZOffaly

It is ESPN Seanie, but not ESPN America, the 417 channel. It was on alright, at least I set it to Sky Plus, so I hope it was on :)

AZOffaly

Never saw yesterday that the Broncos cut Orton. That's a big fish in the QB free agent pool. i suppose hed be looking for big money, but there's a few teams that could take him on.

magpie seanie

Thought I had checked them both but maybe I missed it. I did watch other MNF games on ESPN alright.

Orton wants to go back to Chicago I think but it might not fall that way.

stew

I will be amazed if the packers win tomorrow, sports talk radio here read out the injury report and it is frightening.

The packers will be playing their third game in 11 days, an absolutely brutal schedule and they are facing a desperate Lions team.

I look to megatron tomorrow to light the packers up, Rodgers to get clobbered a time or two and the pack to lose by four. :(

The good news is they get time to heal after this with no game for ten days and they get two extra days off to relax with their families.

Here's hoping the SF bubble bursts and South America's team can take them down.