American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 25, 2011, 04:30:46 PM
That's a true point stew, but I think I know the answer. A lot of the black QBs that have come into the league are seen as more athletic than the white guys, (Tebow apart). The tall, statuesque White QB is not seen as particularly athletic. The like of Manning, Brady, etc etc.

The well known black QBs are the likes of Vick, McNabb, etc and they are seen as more athletes than cerebral types.

I would think Randal Cunningham, Doug Williams and Warren Moon would have been seen as 'intelligent' QBs.

But you never heard them described as intelligent.

Newton is the real deal but I have never seen better than Rodgers.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Capt Pat

Christian Ponder had his first win for the Vikings last night beating Cam Newtons Panthers. He looks very promising so far, very good on third downs and the team is reborn with him at the QB position.

Club Rossa

Some tanking for the Cowboys last night which cheered me up after yet another woeful display from the Redskins who i don't think will win another game this season

heganboy

Quote from: stew on October 24, 2011, 10:20:14 PM

Apart from the fact he is, in many circles, considered the single greatest player of all time collegiality

other than the fact that collegiality isn't word you're looking for, there is no way on earth Tebow is the best college player of all time. However if by saying in many circles you mean the Gator fans born since 1980, you may have a point.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

stew

Quote from: heganboy on October 31, 2011, 01:07:03 PM
Quote from: stew on October 24, 2011, 10:20:14 PM

Apart from the fact he is, in many circles, considered the single greatest player of all time collegiality

other than the fact that collegiality isn't word you're looking for, there is no way on earth Tebow is the best college player of all time. However if by saying in many circles you mean the Gator fans born since 1980, you may have a point.

Don't tell me what I am trying to say!

I have seen and heard many national sports reporters who were actually born in the forties, fifties and sixties who believe he was the greatest college player of all time, your post smacked of arrogance but to be fair, I am not that into college football but I will take the word of nationally renowned football men over yours, no offense mate!

J70

Apparently he was just brutal yesterday. Maybe he will turn into an NFL player, but he is seriously overhyped. You have to wonder if everyone would be talking about him if not for the Superbowl ad and the religious stuff.

stew

Quote from: J70 on October 31, 2011, 01:43:51 PM
Apparently he was just brutal yesterday. Maybe he will turn into an NFL player, but he is seriously overhyped. You have to wonder if everyone would be talking about him if not for the Superbowl ad and the religious stuff.

Maybe this will change your mind.

Where do you start with Tim Tebow?

He's one of the most loved and hated players to ever play the game, but you can't deny his success as Florida's quarterback.

He played a role in the Gators' championship season during his freshman season in 2006 and followed that up as the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy.

While he never picked up the second Heisman, he was always in the running and also led Florida to the 2008 BCS championship.

Tebow finished with some gaudy statistics, including 88 touchdown passes and 57 touchdown runs. He was only intercepted 15 times in four years.

A simple google search brought up a poll on the top 100 players of all time, it had Tebow placed at 13, now consider this, Favre was on the list as 100, that should tell you how good he was in college.

I have heard him described as the best player of all time at the college level by some of the most respected people who cover football and I will tend to take their word over a gaaboard hack.

88 touchdown passes thrown, 57 rushing td's and only 15 picks in four years, I'd say there has never been a quarterback to come close to those numbers, add to it a Heisman win, a finalist in another one and the national championship and you have a contender for best player of all time in any era.

The stats don't lie over a period of time, his body of work is tremendous.

mc_grens

Quote from: stew on October 31, 2011, 01:52:54 PM

He's one of the most loved and hated players to ever play the game, but you can't deny his success as Florida's quarterback.

He played a role in the Gators' championship season during his freshman season in 2006 and followed that up as the first sophomore to win the Heisman Trophy.

While he never picked up the second Heisman, he was always in the running and also led Florida to the 2008 BCS championship.

Tebow finished with some gaudy statistics, including 88 touchdown passes and 57 touchdown runs. He was only intercepted 15 times in four years.

A simple google search brought up a poll on the top 100 players of all time, it had Tebow placed at 13, now consider this, Favre was on the list as 100, that should tell you how good he was in college.

I have heard him described as the best player of all time at the college level by some of the most respected people who cover football and I will tend to take their word over a gaaboard hack.

88 touchdown passes thrown, 57 rushing td's and only 15 picks in four years, I'd say there has never been a quarterback to come close to those numbers, add to it a Heisman win, a finalist in another one and the national championship and you have a contender for best player of all time in any era.

None of that body of work came against NFL Defences. Yesterday's demolision of Tebow by the Detroit D showed what a good Defensive co-ordinator with talent at his disposal can do against him. The more tape NFL co-ordinators get the worse it will be for him.

J70

Not disputing his college record. However, the NFL is streets ahead of college level and prowess in college doesn't necessarily predict a fine professional career. You brought up Favre. And look how far down the draft Tom Brady was.

I feel a bit sorry for Tebow. He's supposed to be a nice kid, but he's having ridiculous hype and expectations piled upon him, at least partly for what he represents personally.

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on October 31, 2011, 02:15:36 PM

None of that body of work came against NFL Defences. Yesterday's demolision of Tebow by the Detroit D showed what a good Defensive co-ordinator with talent at his disposal can do against him. The more tape NFL co-ordinators get the worse it will be for him.

Thats the thing, Detroit had talent at their disposal, Tebow has nothing to work with at all, his WR's cant get open, his line will end up getting him killed and surprise surprise, the team with much more talent won.

If you put him in Green Bay's offense, they would be at least 5-2 if not 6-1, the talent they have is incredible and he would have time to make his reads and have the option to either throw or run, right now he has to run because nobody can get open.

mc_grens

Totally disagree. Detroit did that to him by stopping him running. They made him throw because they know he's inaccurate. He does not have the arm to be a top NFL QB. The option offense does not work in the NFL.

stew

Quote from: mc_grens on October 31, 2011, 03:10:03 PM
Totally disagree. Detroit did that to him by stopping him running. They made him throw because they know he's inaccurate. He does not have the arm to be a top NFL QB. The option offense does not work in the NFL.

Disagree all you want but it does not change the fact that if your wideouts cannot get open, run the wrong routes and the play calling sucks then even if Brady was under center you would not win, that said he was poor, very poor but the whole team is pure dung.

No disputing he has a ways to go but they will fix his throwing motion and as he continues to play in games he will learn as he goes, the guy is incredibly smart, he will be fine if they draft well, shore up the line and get him one or two viable threats to throw to.

Carmen Stateside

He got absolutely no help or protection from his offensive line.  Detroit were rolling over them and having clear shots at Tebow all day.  Put the lad behind the Eagles offensive line last night and we would see a different man. 
That big guy Peters for the Eagles is an absolute beast and you could see he was badly missed.  One stage last night he shifted three men and openend up a massive hole for McCoy to make a large run.

tyroneman

A good question is why excellence in college doesn't always translate to the NFL yet players like Brady, who were not as hyped, turn out to be A-list.

Surely the basics - timing, speed, decision making, arm strength, mobility must all translate??

stew

Quote from: tyroneman on October 31, 2011, 09:03:48 PM
A good question is why excellence in college doesn't always translate to the NFL yet players like Brady, who were not as hyped, turn out to be A-list.

Surely the basics - timing, speed, decision making, arm strength, mobility must all translate??

Great point, lets look at those.

Timing, he has none, that is why he will be injured badly before the end of the season due to having ni line to keep him upright.

Speed, he has that in spades.

Decision making, in College, fantastic, in the pro's........... we dont know based on the fact he has little time to react due to the line issues.

Arm strength, he has a ton of arm strength but poor mechanics.

Mobility, for now he is very mobile and he is a specimen, if they do not invest in a line that can give him time to make better decision he will not be in the league two years from now.