American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 13, 2011, 10:08:24 AM
It has happened deiseach, although normally it's known before the draft, i.e. the player is not really considered as a QB. Here's a list of some College QBs that played other positions in the NFL, from Sporting News.

Joshua Cribbs, WR/KR, Browns (6-1, 215). He has sometimes lined up behind center for Cleveland in its Wildcat formation, which the team has dubbed "Flash" in honor of the former Kent State Golden Flashes quarterback. But he's gone from an undrafted player to a two-time Pro Bowler because of his exception kickoff and punt return skills.

Brad Smith, WR/KR, Jets (6-1, 218). It's no wonder Smith has the same build as Cribbs as a fellow former option style college quarterback at Missouri, because he also plays at a high level on special teams -- as a returner and cover man -- with the occasional Wildcat appearance.

Antwaan Randle El, WR/KR Steelers (5-10, 190). Sense a theme here? Like Smith and Cribbs, he was a prolific passing/running dual threat at Indiana. Despite his smaller frame, he found a great home during his first stint in Pittsburgh, in a creative offense that took full advantage of his versatility. One of those trick plays easily stands out: His 43-yard TD pass to Ward in Super Bowl XL.

Michael Robinson, RB, Seahawks (6-1, 223). Four years after Randle El won Big Ten MVP, Robinson earned the same honor for his terrific 2005 season at Penn State. Quickly after he was drafted in the fourth round by the 49ers, he became Frank Gore's top backup and later a fill-in fullback -- the position at which he's currently listed as the starter in Seattle.

Former players

Matt Jones, WR (6-6, 218). Size-wise, Jones had a very similar build to Pryor going into the NFL, but what made the former Arkansas quarterback a first-round pick of the Jaguars was his jaw-dropping athletic display at the '05 Scouting Combine. After he showed flashes of being a star with his hands, speed and leaping ability, his career was quickly derailed by off-field drug problems.

Ronald Curry, WR (6-2, 210). With him at quarterback and Julius Peppers at defensive end, North Carolina had two basketball players who were much better football players. While the Panthers drafted Peppers No. 2 overall in 2002, the Raiders took a shot on Curry 233 picks later. Curry looked on the verge of breaking out with 50-, 62- and 55-catch seasons for Oakland, but unfortunately, Achilles' and foot injuries caught up to him.

Drew Bennett, WR (6-5, 207). Bennett, a former UCLA QB, an eight-year veteran, enjoyed three fine seasons starting opposite Derrick Mason for the Titans, including an outstanding '04 season (80 catches, 1,247 yards, 11 TDs). He excelled at using his height to beat smaller defenders in single coverage, a good blueprint for Pryor.

Scott Frost, DB (6-3, 218). Frost preceded Heisman-winner Eric Crouch in leading Nebraska to a national championship out of the Cornhuskers' erstwhile option offense, and translated his top running skills to play safety and special teams with four teams over a six-year NFL career. Pryor is too big and tall to move to the secondary.

Dennis Franklin, WR (6-1, 185). Like Pryor, he was a three-year starter ('72-'74) in the Big Ten, and enjoyed his great individual and team success as a passer and runner at Ohio State's archrival, Michigan. The instate Detroit Lions drafted him in the sixth round in '75, and he caught six passes over two seasons. It wouldn't be surprising if one of the NFL's two Ohio teams -- Browns or Bengals -- gives Pryor his best pro shot.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-06-08/pryor-comparisons-college-qbs-who-made-nfl-position-switches#ixzz1aeQRaJGR

Good post AZ. Julian Edelman is another current player who played QB in college.

AZOffaly

Not my post in fairness Claw, it's from Sporting News. I just did a search on it because I know these lads existed :D

the Deel Rover

Never watched baseball untill i got espn a couple of weeks ago . i watched a programme last week called catching hell about the chicago cubs supporter steve bartman , really enjoyed it and  to think i thought it was only us mayo football folks that believed in curses
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

magpie seanie

Catching Hell was a good documentary alright, saw it on ESPN myself a couple of weeks back. Still can't really warm to baseball which is a bit of a problem as ESPN have it on a lot as well as flippin NASCAR. That said, the NFL and College football is great.

Oraisteach

I have the answer, Seanie--Fantasy Baseball!

magpie seanie

Jesus - that would result in a swift divorce!

Minder

Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 14, 2011, 07:18:16 PM
Never watched baseball untill i got espn a couple of weeks ago . i watched a programme last week called catching hell about the chicago cubs supporter steve bartman , really enjoyed it and  to think i thought it was only us mayo football folks that believed in curses

I have had it recorded for a few weeks, would you need an interest in baseball (I have none) to appreciate it?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magpie seanie

Quote from: Minder on October 15, 2011, 08:26:59 AM
Quote from: the Deel Rover on October 14, 2011, 07:18:16 PM

I have had it recorded for a few weeks, would you need an interest in baseball (I have none) to appreciate it?

Minder - not necessary to like baseball. The sport is merely the background to the story. My missus has no interest in sport and she enjoyed it.

thejuice

Going well for the Falcons. Big 4thQTR scoring gives us a badly needed win over Division rivals. We're in trouble of falling behind early this year. I hope Peyton Manning doesnt come back in time for when we play them.

Looks like we got back to the running game with Michael Turner as the hammer to drive home the nails of victory!

Giants just ahead of the Bills in the New York derby.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

gawa316

Quote from: thejuice on October 16, 2011, 09:04:47 PM
Going well for the Falcons. Big 4thQTR scoring gives us a badly needed win over Division rivals. We're in trouble of falling behind early this year. I hope Peyton Manning doesnt come back in time for when we play them.

Looks like we got back to the running game with Michael Turner as the hammer to drive home the nails of victory!

Take it this is why the colts are pure pish?!

ATDHE down, anyone got a link to the Raiders game?

Minder

Quote from: gawa316 on October 16, 2011, 09:10:41 PM

Take it this is why the colts are pure pish?!

Painter isn't playing as badly as some thought and I don't think the Colts would have been great this year even with Manning but obviously he makes a huge difference.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mc_grens

Did Roddy White get hurt? I was out playing hoops and he only got about 3 fantasy points?

stew

Pack win, deetroit lose, it's hard to see anybody touching the pack bar the pats.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Carmen Stateside

Dallas putting it up to the Pats this evening.