American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Claw

Quote from: Minder on October 11, 2011, 08:45:05 PM
Quote from: The Claw on October 11, 2011, 07:54:41 PM
You have to love Tebow lads, I think he will really spark the Broncos this year. When he played last year he put up big numbers throwing and rushing. The man is an animal - he is built like a linebacker - much more able to take hits than Vick.

What the hell I'm gonna say what a few people are afraid to say - Tebow will be a very good NFL player.

In the three games he started at the end of last season he threw for 138, 308 and 205 yards. Hardly massive numbers. He is competitive and has a great attitude but i just don't think he is good enough throwing the ball, we will soon find out i suppose.
I stand corrected, I thought he threw for more yards, but he did also rush for 100, 89 and 58, throw for 4 tds and run for 3 tds as well. He did have 3 INTs but those numbers are pretty good in my view. Much better than most rookie QBs would have (except for Cam Newton!)

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on October 11, 2011, 09:01:58 PM

AdamSchefter: NFL owners today approved a resolution to continue playing regular-season games in the United Kingdom through the 2016 season.

I think they should give a few other countries a chance to host games too, Germany in particular.

Absolutely. I've done the NFL in London thing 3 times, and while it's great to go to a game again, It's getting a bit repititious. I'd love if they played a game in one of the other countries where NFL Europe was a success and the NFL has a big following. Germany, Holland or even Spain would be great and I think they'd get a crowd.

stew

You have to love Tebow lads, I think he will really spark the Broncos this year. When he played last year he put up big numbers throwing and rushing. The man is an animal - he is built like a linebacker - much more able to take hits than Vick.

What the hell I'm gonna say what a few people are afraid to say - Tebow will be a very good NFL player.

Tebow is a winner, full stop, i think he will figure it out but he has serious mechanical issues that should have been fixed by his college coaches to prepare him for the NFL, they didnt fix them and he will struggle for a while in my opinion, that said he will be a winner in the NFL, he has what it takes.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

new devil

I agree Stew...Look at the way he dragged Denver back into the game and nearly won it with the hail Mary...Looking forward to seeing him this weekend

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on October 12, 2011, 03:41:43 PM

Tebow is a winner, full stop, i think he will figure it out but he has serious mechanical issues that should have been fixed by his college coaches to prepare him for the NFL, they didnt fix them and he will struggle for a while in my opinion, that said he will be a winner in the NFL, he has what it takes.

I like the guy, I hope he does succeed, he seems like a nice lad. However, I still believe Kyle Orton is the better QB. Perhaps Tebow is a better leader, but I guarantee you if he doesn't fix his throwing motion, he will not be a winner in the NFL. You cannot be an option QB and succeed in the NFL. Being able to run is a great strength, but not if its your *only* strength.

If NFL linebackers are not worrying about coverage, and sitting back waiting for him to take off, then Good night Irene.

Puckoon

I don't know if this will show the entire documentary - but if anyone wants to download this - you can see for yourself just how hard Tebow worked post college/pre draft to work on his throwing motion (as well as everything else).

http://everythinginbetween.com/

mc_grens

Quote from: Puckoon on October 12, 2011, 05:16:38 PM

I don't know if this will show the entire documentary - but if anyone wants to download this - you can see for yourself just how hard Tebow worked post college/pre draft to work on his throwing motion (as well as everything else).

I think the limited success of Michael Vick, the closest thing the NFL has to an option QB should be warning to all the Tebow believers- and Vick has a cannon of an arm and a quick release!

DrinkingHarp

Tebow is a great athlete but not a NFL quarterback. He should be converted to a slot/TE/fullback on offense or an inside linbacker on defense.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

AZOffaly

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 12, 2011, 10:15:46 PM
Tebow is a great athlete but not a NFL quarterback. He should be converted to a slot/TE/fullback on offense or an inside linbacker on defense.

When he was drafted, a lot of people thought he'd be converted into a Dallas Clarke type Tight End.

deiseach

Would there be many precedents for people drafted as QB's making it in another position?

AZOffaly

It has happened deiseach, although normally it's known before the draft, i.e. the player is not really considered as a QB. Here's a list of some College QBs that played other positions in the NFL, from Sporting News.

Joshua Cribbs, WR/KR, Browns (6-1, 215). He has sometimes lined up behind center for Cleveland in its Wildcat formation, which the team has dubbed "Flash" in honor of the former Kent State Golden Flashes quarterback. But he's gone from an undrafted player to a two-time Pro Bowler because of his exception kickoff and punt return skills.

Brad Smith, WR/KR, Jets (6-1, 218). It's no wonder Smith has the same build as Cribbs as a fellow former option style college quarterback at Missouri, because he also plays at a high level on special teams -- as a returner and cover man -- with the occasional Wildcat appearance.

Antwaan Randle El, WR/KR Steelers (5-10, 190). Sense a theme here? Like Smith and Cribbs, he was a prolific passing/running dual threat at Indiana. Despite his smaller frame, he found a great home during his first stint in Pittsburgh, in a creative offense that took full advantage of his versatility. One of those trick plays easily stands out: His 43-yard TD pass to Ward in Super Bowl XL.

Michael Robinson, RB, Seahawks (6-1, 223). Four years after Randle El won Big Ten MVP, Robinson earned the same honor for his terrific 2005 season at Penn State. Quickly after he was drafted in the fourth round by the 49ers, he became Frank Gore's top backup and later a fill-in fullback -- the position at which he's currently listed as the starter in Seattle.

Former players

Matt Jones, WR (6-6, 218). Size-wise, Jones had a very similar build to Pryor going into the NFL, but what made the former Arkansas quarterback a first-round pick of the Jaguars was his jaw-dropping athletic display at the '05 Scouting Combine. After he showed flashes of being a star with his hands, speed and leaping ability, his career was quickly derailed by off-field drug problems.

Ronald Curry, WR (6-2, 210). With him at quarterback and Julius Peppers at defensive end, North Carolina had two basketball players who were much better football players. While the Panthers drafted Peppers No. 2 overall in 2002, the Raiders took a shot on Curry 233 picks later. Curry looked on the verge of breaking out with 50-, 62- and 55-catch seasons for Oakland, but unfortunately, Achilles' and foot injuries caught up to him.

Drew Bennett, WR (6-5, 207). Bennett, a former UCLA QB, an eight-year veteran, enjoyed three fine seasons starting opposite Derrick Mason for the Titans, including an outstanding '04 season (80 catches, 1,247 yards, 11 TDs). He excelled at using his height to beat smaller defenders in single coverage, a good blueprint for Pryor.

Scott Frost, DB (6-3, 218). Frost preceded Heisman-winner Eric Crouch in leading Nebraska to a national championship out of the Cornhuskers' erstwhile option offense, and translated his top running skills to play safety and special teams with four teams over a six-year NFL career. Pryor is too big and tall to move to the secondary.

Dennis Franklin, WR (6-1, 185). Like Pryor, he was a three-year starter ('72-'74) in the Big Ten, and enjoyed his great individual and team success as a passer and runner at Ohio State's archrival, Michigan. The instate Detroit Lions drafted him in the sixth round in '75, and he caught six passes over two seasons. It wouldn't be surprising if one of the NFL's two Ohio teams -- Browns or Bengals -- gives Pryor his best pro shot.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-06-08/pryor-comparisons-college-qbs-who-made-nfl-position-switches#ixzz1aeQRaJGR

DrinkingHarp

I forgot to post this after the game but when Wisconsin played Nebraska the announcer noted that the Wisconsins Offensive line out-weighed the Green Bay Packers line. These are college kids who are between 18-22, any NFL team would love to have that size.

stew

Wisconsin V Oklahoma for the national championship, ye heard it here first.  ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: stew on October 13, 2011, 10:12:42 PM
Wisconsin V Oklahoma for the national championship, ye heard it here first.  ;)

I would love to see that but you need Bama to beat LSU then Bama to lose to Auburn to shoot The Badgers up to #2 and the Sooners to jump to#1.

The Claw

Quote from: Puckoon on October 12, 2011, 05:16:38 PM

Thanks for that puck - downloaded and watched it last night - amazing how loved he is in Florida. Gotta love the guy for how hard he works. I was pretty impressed with their agent - how he knew the Broncos were trying to trade up but when they did he knew it was too early and they were picking Demaryius Thomas.