American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Minder on September 01, 2011, 08:28:54 PM
Found a good site on twitter @si_vault

A collection of old photos of American Sports. Brett Favre on draft day.

In 1991, the Atlanta Falcons drafted Brett Favre as the thirty-third overall pick. During his rookie season, he played in two games where he amassed a record of 5 passing attempts with 0 receptions and 2 interceptions. The following February, Favre was traded to the Green Bay Packers.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

Jaysus talk about stereo typical trailer trash :D And he was drafted by the Georgia team as well :D

magpie seanie

Tickets got today, flight booked a few weeks ago for SFA (people who give out about Ryanair really need to get a grip - sorry Muppet!) and accomodation sorted with a friend. Little did I know my first trip to Wembley would not be to see Manchester United!

Absolutely cannot wait to see da Bears! Gonna be a tough season for Chicago and their defense must play up to last seasons level or they're toast. Think the offense will be better (could hardly be much worse) but not a lot better. Needed a top rung WR but got a talented flake who can't beat out Johnny Knox for a start. Marion Barber (if he can stay fit) should help with the red zone/short yardage issues that Forte has and Taylor failed so abysmally to rectify. The o-line should be better (again, could it be any worse) so Forte should have a good season again (pay the guy, he deserves it). The key though as I said is the defense performing to the max. The secondary has always looked shaky but never/rarely gets torched but just how long can Briggs & Urlacher keep up their high levels? Peppers has better help on the d-line this season I think so they will continue to get the necessary pressure to make the Bear scheme work.

People write off the Bears very easily but they were very close to knocking the Pack out of the playoffs in the final game of the regular season and were one score away in the championship game as well. NFC North could be great tihs season (except for the vikes!). For all Cutler's faults he has a rocket arm and if he gets better protection he could have a good season.

AZOffaly

Good stuff Seanie. Can't wait myself. I'm quietly hopeful for success in the desert as well. Playing in a piss poor division helps, but I'm hopeful Kolb can use the Cardinals great receiver, LArry Fitz, good receivers, Doucet, and good pass catching TE, Todd Heap, to at least make them a threat to score.

Patrick Peterson can be a great corner, but losing Toler through injury and DRC to the Kolb trade weakens them more than I'd like there. Running back might be OK, Beanie looks physical this year, but it's a pity Ryan Williams went out. Chester Taylor will have to contribute.

To get us in the mood....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwuG-g7qK0k

anportmorforjfc

AZ what record do you think will win the NFC West this year? I think there could be a 9-7 in any of the teams apart from the Seahawks.

As for the niners last season almost everyone had them picked to win the west last year and look how that turned out. I think they will have a better season than last year and finish around 8-8.

Galwaybhoy

Does anyone know if Sky are using the Redzone feature this year?

Minder

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on September 08, 2011, 06:41:03 PM
Does anyone know if Sky are using the Redzone feature this year?

They are, on the red button  ;D
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Capt Pat

Quote from: anportmorforjfc on September 08, 2011, 05:49:10 PM
AZ what record do you think will win the NFC West this year? I think there could be a 9-7 in any of the teams apart from the Seahawks.

As for the niners last season almost everyone had them picked to win the west last year and look how that turned out. I think they will have a better season than last year and finish around 8-8.

They all look to have tough schedules in that division this year. I don't think there will be an 11-5 or a wild card team there. The local rivalry match ups between the teams in that division will be the most important. I can see the 49ers bouncing back. However I think Fitzgerald and Kolb will win it for the Cards.

Minder

Minder

AZOffaly

Told you that Irsay is a liar. I know,I know he hadn't had it *then* but they knew he was having it. I heard Bill Polian on ESPN thismorning spinning the same line. Could work out great for the Horseshoes in the long run though. If they are brutal, they might get Andrew Luck, how will come in, learn under Manning for 2-3 years and they have another franchise QB.

Worrying for Manning personally though, his brother had to stop playing sports due to a congenital condition in his spine.

mc_grens

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2011, 09:28:40 PM
Told you that Irsay is a liar. I know,I know he hadn't had it *then* but they knew he was having it. I heard Bill Polian on ESPN thismorning spinning the same line. Could work out great for the Horseshoes in the long run though. If they are brutal, they might get Andrew Luck, how will come in, learn under Manning for 2-3 years and they have another franchise QB.

Worrying for Manning personally though, his brother had to stop playing sports due to a congenital condition in his spine.

I'd say he'll be gone for the season. It's the '97 Spurs all over again (for all you hoops fans). The colts aren't gonna be great anyway. If they tank early, which I think they will, they'll place Manning on IR, get him healthy for next year and pick high up in the draft, which is something they desperately need, as their last few draft classes have stunk.

Also, this makes for pretty jaw dropping reading, especially if he does at some stage end up on IR:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/08/manning-got-his-new-deal-without-having-to-pass-a-physical/

magpie seanie

Bit of a dull game to start off with!!!!!!

thejuice

Looked like a good opener. Packers look to have kept momentum going. Didn't realize Reggie Bush was traded.

Anyone have Randall Cobb on their fantasy team? Some debut game to have as a rookie.

Saints look decent enough. Falcons will have a tough time holding onto the NFC South.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016