Tír Eoghain vs An Cabhán Ulster Semi Replay 4pm 03/07/2016 @Clones

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Can't see much other than a repeat of the Division II Final, outcome-wise, alas :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

AQMP

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM
Can't see much other than a repeat of the Division II Final, outcome-wise, alas :)

You're probably right

From the Bunker

I expect both teams will up their game from the Division two final! Tyrone will have too much for Cavan in terms of experience and tactics. Cavan are going in the right direction and should give Tyrone a game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 29, 2016, 05:27:09 PM
I expect both teams will up their game from the Division two final! Tyrone will have too much for Cavan in terms of experience and tactics. Cavan are going in the right direction and should give Tyrone a game.

Fair points. Armagh's questions of Cavan were no more testing than Derry's were of us.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

rrhf

Cavan were impressive and will give Tyrone their fill of it. They like Tyrone are among the top 4 or 5 teams in Ulster.so far the Ulster championship has been a battle between the haves and have nots. The haves now must  beat each other.

Il Bomber Destro

Can't really read too much into today's performance as Armagh were pretty awful.

Didn't think Cavan's full back line looked all too tight, Campbell gave Clarke a tough time of it who I rate very highly and if our forwards are on form then we can pose some big questions.

Cavan are a very big physical side now, the players who came back in this year have really added a physical edge and the youngers lads look much more developed. I expect it to be tighter than the league game, Clones will suit Cavan more but I'd still expect us to come through a fairly stern test.

ONeill

The last time Cavan bate Tyrone in the championship....you've guessed it....19th June. 1983.

Tyrone had a good team then. Skelton, McGarvey, McGinn, McKenna, McGuigan and Lynch. And a blonde haired Adonis from the Moy made his championship debut. Cavan still won though.

19th of June was also the date of the infamous Tyrone/Cavan draw in 2005.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cavanmaniac

Don't think Cavan are ready to really mix it with the likes of Tyrone just yet. At the very least, however, I'd hope for a pluckier showing than the league final where it looked like Tyrone coasted through and were able to hold Cavan off with one arm at times. That revealed a gulf in class that should be somewhat narrower at this stage in Cavan's evolution I think, so I hope in the semi we push Tyrone all the way, pose a few questions that won't be so easily answered as in Croker a few weeks ago, and knock them out of their comfort zone a little. As a Cavan supporter, you'd also be looking for some sort of evidence that tactically, they have a variation up their sleeve to facilitate all this instead of (Tyrone's excellence notwithstanding) reverting to the depressingly familiar and predictable Plan A of shuffling the ball crab-like up the field at half pace and attacking ponderously and laterally. Tyrone are a mighty tough nut but there's little sense in again trying what never works.

For Cavan to cause a shock, they need to have one of those days where literally every variable - 50-50 calls, weather, breaks, lucky bounces - goes their way coupled with Tyrone having a bad day at the office. I really can't see Cavan winning this game though - it'd need to be one of those once-in-a-generation seismic championship shocks - so I'd be happy to see them emerge with a moral victory and something positive to take into the qualifiers.

lenny

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2016, 09:30:47 PM
The last time Cavan bate Tyrone in the championship....you've guessed it....19th June. 1983.

Tyrone had a good team then. Skelton, McGarvey, McGinn, McKenna, McGuigan and Lynch. And a blonde haired Adonis from the Moy made his championship debut. Cavan still won though.

I quite fancy cavan for this one. Tyrone have a good defensive structure but are still lightweight in attack. The 3 goals they got v Derry were all the result of pathetic defending and a complete lack of defensive structure on derrys part. This game will be a lot tighter than most Tyrone people think.

T Fearon

Could this tie be labelled Arseholes v Potholes?

Shane,thanks for the memories.That 1983 game was the day after my late brother's wedding in Navan,and my Dad and I detoured up to Breffni for the match.

Redhand Santa

Has clones been confirmed? Hard to see it being anywhere else. When was the last time Tyrone won a championship game there? There hasn't been too many since the 2010 ulster final.

T Fearon

Neither Tyrone or Cavan are nearly as good as the pundits make out,after wins against poor Derry and Armagh teams.Will be close if Cavan can dispel their inferiority complex,which they like Monaghan,seem to have as far as Tyrone are concerned.

seafoid

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2016, 09:30:47 PM

I presume Cavan won all of its encounters with Tyrone until the 60s 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Club Rossa

Tyrone beat Cavan in the 1956 Ulster final which ended a spell of total Cavan dominance in the fixture.

Itchy

Quote from: Club Rossa on May 30, 2016, 09:42:26 AM
Tyrone beat Cavan in the 1956 Ulster final which ended a spell of total Cavan dominance in the fixture.

By spell you mean 60 odd years I take it.