Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Payne

Quote from: TF15 on October 24, 2014, 05:00:53 PM
Anyone know of names Harte has approached to join the squad? Niall Sludden has to be a certainty to get on the panel this year. If he does I've not a doubt in my mind he'll be in the starting team come summer. Class act.

Ruairi Loughran Carrickmore
Michael Cassidy Ardboe
Frank Burns Pomeroy
Hugh Pat McGeary Pomeroy
Conall Mc Cann Killyclogher
Jason Mc Anulla Omagh
Shane O'Hagan Clonoe

Any of these lads worth a shot?

LeoMc

Quote from: Max Payne on October 28, 2014, 09:34:00 PM
Quote from: TF15 on October 24, 2014, 05:00:53 PM
Anyone know of names Harte has approached to join the squad? Niall Sludden has to be a certainty to get on the panel this year. If he does I've not a doubt in my mind he'll be in the starting team come summer. Class act.

Ruairi Loughran Carrickmore
Michael Cassidy Ardboe
Frank Burns Pomeroy
Hugh Pat McGeary Pomeroy
Conall Mc Cann Killyclogher
Jason Mc Anulla Omagh
Shane O'Hagan Clonoe

Any of these lads worth a shot?
After the last couple of years anyone fresh is worth a shot.
Think McAnulla was on the panel before, would be surprised if O'Hagen was interested but he and McCann would give a good presence around the middle.
Loughran and Cassidy are 2 good players, McGeary and Burns were good minors but I havent seen them play since.

sam03/05

Kieran McGeary Pomeroy would be a great option. Class act

skeog

if thats the quality of new players ticket sales would be poor imo

Max Payne

Quote from: skeog on October 29, 2014, 10:12:44 AM
if thats the quality of new players ticket sales would be poor imo

Ticket sales? You must have this mixed up with the Man Utd thread.

Onthe40

Out of those names, Cassidy is the only one I feel would add a  difference, looks the real deal. Loughran is a decent footballer but not sure he has the pace/power for county level but maybe that could be worked on, so worth a chance. Shane OHahan is now 28-29 and not county material in my view. McAnulla decent but has been there before as said and dont think is interested.

S.Poacher2012

GAA Coaching Clinic

Date: Saturday 15th November 2014

Venue: St Columban's College Kilkeel

Cost: £10 (Includes Tea/Coffee and information booklet)

** Proceeds for the development of GAA in St Columbans**

AGENDA:

10am: Welcome

10.10am: Aidan O' Rourke (Development Manager Queens Gaa)

"Building elements of a game-plan into training sessions"

- Clearly defined game-plan goals

- Fundamentals of play with and without the ball

- Transitions during games

**Practical Session Outdoor**

11.45am: Tea/Coffee/Snack

12.00pm: Conor Laverty (Trinity College Gaa Development Officer)

"Developing Attacking Play in your team"

**Practical Session Outdoor**

Contact Steven Poacher to confirm place via text to 07779780919 or email to stevepoacher@hotmail.com **Payment on the day**

SuperHo

Gorman minor 08 i think.was against down in omey ??

Tommo2

Quote from: LeoMc on October 27, 2014, 09:32:20 PM
Quote from: redzone on October 27, 2014, 06:55:06 PM
danny Gorman and mark Bradley should def be worth a look at from killyclogher.very impressive on sunday

What year was Gorman Co minor captain before he broke his leg?

Not sure what year, but it was his cruciate. He recovered and then did it again the following year!

Fuzzman

I watched the Omagh v Cross game yesterday and whilst I was delighted they came back and won it in the end I couldn't help but think how their style of play is very similar to that of the county team.
This slow sideways passing up the pitch which often gets broken down by one stray pass is very hard to watch and seems prevalent now in the game.

I couldn't help feeling dejected listening to the TG4 host interview Mickey Harte about the year ahead and will he be taking in new backroom staff and will there be a fresh approach. "Not really" was more or less the response I heard as yes he has Peter Donnelly as new S&C coach but sounds like it will be Mickey and Horse as the only men at the wheel. From chatting to a few ex players last year I hear relationships between a lot of the players and Mickey are at an all time low with very little communication happening and an unpleasant awkwardness about approaching Mickey. I suppose players feel he's hard to approach with all that he's been through yet there are issues that need to be challenged. From what I hear Horse is a YES man to Mickey and that's what Mickey likes. Nobody questioning him.
Tony Donnelly was the man all the players went to before by all accounts so does Gavin Devlin play that role now.

It's hard to know what's going on for someone like me down in Dublin but it seemed to me that there was a large contingent of Tyrone Gaels thought it was time for Mickey to leave in the last year or 2. Certainly as we went our early last year most of us thought that was the last straw.

Our style of play (maybe influenced by trying to beat Donegal/Monaghan) has become very ugly and slow in my opinion. I saw it again yesterday with Omagh "Crab passing" as I call it up the pitch. I've watched it with Tyrone the last few years and it is so frustrating that the pace and intelligent football we used to play is now totally nullified with this paranoia about trying to keep possession at all cost.

More often that not we try a short kick out. Work it back and forward around the full and half back line whilst forwards try to make good runs into space but never get the pass.
Then one loose pass gets intercepted and suddenly we're on the back foot again.
Whilst the game has changed radically in the last few years and even the "Mighty" Kerry have changed their style to counteract this, I think Tyrone football has become very stale and needs a good kick up the hole. Just my own opinion.

Fear is the word that holds us all back in life and I think Tyrone players now are playing with a huge element of fear under the manager that helped us win our first and ALL 3 All-Irelands.
It seems to me as there as been a big fudge this year with us all fed up with Mickey's antics & stubbornness yet instead of Mickey resigning, his 2 assistants resigned instead. Did they do this themselves to try to encourage Mickey to go? I'd be interested to hear if anyone knows for SURE.

Everyone on here is entitled to their opinion so please don't start giving me a hard time for starting a Mickey Witch hunt at Haloween. Of course the man is a legend in Tyrone and around all of Ireland and of course most people outside the county will take the easy option and say how could you ask him to step down. He's earned that respect to stay as long as he wants. Yes all true but I am just curious what people think within Tyrone and that's why I posted this in here and not out on the main board page.

I for one and I know there were many others was really not impressed travelling hundred of miles last year to watch some of the tripe football we played and some of the team selections he made.
He actually apologised for it down in Kerry I think after the league defeat which is grand if he then learns from it but I don't think he did.
I'm curious now that the season closes and we approach a new national League season with the same manager and to me same ideas.
I am not expecting to win the AI and think we got lucky with the draw 2 seasons ago to make the semis but I do think we still have the makings of a fine team that should at least be winning Ulster a bit more.
With players like Morgan, Justy, Joey, Gormley(even still), Sean & Colm, Clarke, Barry Tierney, Ronan O'Neill, Coney, McCurry I think with the right tactics and mindset and as Jim McGuinness showed belief that we can still be a force

For me anyway, under Mickey we are going backwards and that most important thing belief isn't there.
It reminds me of how players see Roy Keane as a manager. Huge amount of respect for the man and what he achieved but scared shitless of letting him down, making a mistake, pissing him off and so on the field they will play with FEAR and be cautious which leads to mistakes.

As usual people ask yes yes but who would replace him? Who would do a better job?
An easy reply but that reply just shows that you don't accept how bad things are in reality. Yes Mickey was sharp back in the 2000's when we were winning things and made the player believe they were the best but I don't think he has that influence any more. He hardly even talks to the players by all accounts.
Of course I hope he proves us wrong but to me I am not looking forward to the season ahead or to my birthday on the 7th March when Tyrone come to Croke Park to play the Dubs. A game I used to look forward to every year and how they used to fear us. Now they don't even consider us a threat any more.
I'd like to hear people's thoughts as to me the whole thing was swept under the carpet when the backroom staff resigned.
Have many of ye stopped going to away matches the way you used to?

brokencrossbar1

Congratulations to Omagh yesterday and to any of the Omagh heads on here.  They matched us in the second half and worked hard and as a result the ball fell their way.  That's the way the thing goes and they have to be commended on that.  There are questions that can be asked about refereeing and other matters but the reality is that the team that worked hardest for the full 60 minutes and most importantly for the last 10 minutes won.  The sendings off played a key part in that as many of our men were dead on their feet by then and the decision making went awry but there are no complaints about either sending off.

Anyway best of luck now for the rest of the championship, remember there are no medals given out for winning 1/ finals no matter who you beat.  The semi opponents will be tough enough,  probably Letterkenny, but they are very beatable. I reckon Slaughtniel might surprise a few on the other side of the draw and get through,  Mickey Moran is a shrewd man on the line.  They will play a very similar brand of football to Omagh and the final would be a very attritional one if both teams make it but it is there for Omagh to win it if they want to.  They have the talent anyway.

Puckoon

The Beard

very gracious bc1. the standard of armagh championship certainly didn't help. nothing like the white heat of battle to sharpen a team. maybe that caught cross cold in last 10mins

good post by fuzz man. spot on with most of it i think

Tyrone Gaa

I see today that the Irish News are reporting that Cathal McCarron attended the latest round of Tyrone trials.  Does Cathal have a club confirmed? I hope he will be given the chance to put the past behind him.  However lets be honest in club football he will be singled out for attention every single game he will need a lot of self discipline to get through the year.

I genuinely hope he comes back to be a real asset to Tyrone and can let the past stay in the past.
Living the dream!!!

Up The Middle

From what i heard he is going to Dungannon, not sure how true that is. Im sure hes big enough to take it  :-X
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.