GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

...and what do you think Sky will get in return.

They must be seeing some uptick in numbers if they're putting that kind of money in.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

thejuice

Yeah but if they're not getting a return on it they wouldn't do it.

So as I asked last year, are the GAA seeing a new audiences coming out of the Sky deal as was the spin coming out of headquarters at the time?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

RedHand88

Quote from: thejuice on September 17, 2017, 12:16:29 PM
Yeah but if they're not getting a return on it they wouldn't do it.

So as I asked last year, are the GAA seeing a new audiences coming out of the Sky deal as was the spin coming out of headquarters at the time?

Chelsea goalkeeper Courtois tweeted good luck to Mayo today. Suppose that's proof it's reaching new audiences.

Esmarelda

Quote from: longballin on September 17, 2017, 12:11:37 PM
Quote from: thejuice on September 17, 2017, 11:38:56 AM
...and what do you think Sky will get in return.

They must be seeing some uptick in numbers if they're putting that kind of money in.

that is loose change to an organisation like SKY. Is a cynical way to get their claws further into the GAA...
If TV3 did it, would it be cynical?

Would it be better if Sky didn't do it?

It's money that can be used and nobody's in the dark over their motives. Their goal is to make money like any independent broadcaster.

gallsman

Declan Kearney from Sinn Fein was having a right aul whinge yesterday at the BBC and ITV over not showing it.

He was correctly told to take it up with the GAA.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on September 18, 2017, 12:08:13 PM
Declan Kearney from Sinn Fein was having a right aul whinge yesterday at the BBC and ITV over not showing it.

Strange that you term that as a 'right aul whinge' Gallsman. They should be showing it!

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 12:11:20 PM

Strange that you term that as a 'right aul whinge' Gallsman. They should be showing it!

Nothing strange about it. The GAA sold the full yum broadcast rights to Sky. That's the reason it wasn't on BBC or ITV.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on September 18, 2017, 12:50:24 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on September 18, 2017, 12:11:20 PM

Nothing strange about it. The GAA sold the full yum broadcast rights to Sky. That's the reason it wasn't on BBC or ITV.

Is that why Rachel Wyse presents it?

sligoman2

All I can say is that ye are some bunch of whingers-

A company spends $3mmm to support kids and get some press. 

Lads, this isn't the 1960's Sky is a for profit group oh and by the way so is the gaa.  Thankfully the gaa also plough some money back into clubs Etc.. Which seems to be what Sky are doing...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

RedHand88

Sky just can't win in some people's eyes. They do something good and still get berated.

laoislad

Has anyone been following the Chris Kamara and Jeff Stelling videos in the lead up to the final?
They were at it yesterday and were mesmerised apparently about the whole occasion..
Just wait until they see hurling. ;)
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Rossfan

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 18, 2017, 01:10:48 PM
Sky just can't win in some people's eyes. They do something good and still get berated.
I'm surprised there haven't been a few cuts at Páraic Ó Dufaigh as well
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AZOffaly

Quote from: laoislad on September 18, 2017, 01:22:32 PM
Has anyone been following the Chris Kamara and Jeff Stelling videos in the lead up to the final?
They were at it yesterday and were mesmerised apparently about the whole occasion..
Just wait until they see hurling. ;)

I've been following it. Looking forward to seeing the final episode.