Medical Status of Boardmembers

Started by Ball Hopper, December 19, 2019, 03:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on December 31, 2019, 10:33:40 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2019, 09:45:01 AM
Any sufferers of gout on the board?

Have had a few attacks of it (I think, haven't had it properly diagnosed yet) but the symptoms are very similar to what doctor goggle says!

Da in law has it and absolutly cripples him. Says he never felt pain like it.

Aye the pain is horrible, only way I can describe it is, if you stub your toe real bad and the pain lasts a hell of a lot longer!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dire Ear

Have the numbers of 4 with " cures " for gout, if you want them? I'm trying to copy and paste but it's not working

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dire Ear on December 31, 2019, 11:17:17 AM
Have the numbers of 4 with " cures " for gout, if you want them? I'm trying to copy and paste but it's not working

Would love them! It's purely a night early morning thing, once I'm up and moving it's bearable and last for a few days! Will get it properly diagnosed soon.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dire Ear

Paddy Hughes 02887738626 Coalisland
Peter McGahan 00353860711895 Ballyjamesduff
Annetta 00353749149373 Castlefin
Jimmy 079018918879
Some of these might not work, don't know how old the list is but good luck

Main Street

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2019, 11:13:48 AM

Have had a few attacks of it (I think, haven't had it properly diagnosed yet) but the symptoms are very similar to what doctor goggle says!

Aye the pain is horrible, only way I can describe it is, if you stub your toe real bad and the pain lasts a hell of a lot longer!
if you are stuck, you can try the 2 basin hot/cold method. The purpose of this is to disperse the crystals that have accumulated in the toe, thereby reducing the pain felt.
One basin of ice cold water, then the other as hot as you can tolerate,  fully dunk the foot for a minute in the hot  then a minute in the other ice cold
then back into the hot, do it 3 or 4 times and see how it feels. Considering the pain factor, this is a no brainer and works for some.

red hander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 31, 2019, 11:13:48 AM

Developed gout in 2005, had two severe attacks where I couldn't even stand for three weeks due to pain (last one in 2013) and several other less severe attacks where I was able to hobble about. Mainly in feet, but has also hit knees and ankles, even knuckles. First big attack went to doctor after fourth week (was just about able to drive/shuffle about) but by that time the uric acid was out of system and didn't show up in tests. He said a second attack would have to be confirmed before he would prescribe specific gout medication. Second (and last, so far) really bad attack was six years later, but didn't bother going back as by time I'd be fit to see him the uric acid would be gone again. I mostly self-medicate with cherry tablets and other supplement tablets like celery seed/plenty of water every day. I've found apple cider vinegar (tablets and pure in the bottle) can help head the bastard off at the pass when you get hint gout's on way, or ease the pain early on when it develops. Probably only myself to blame - overweight and too fond of beer. Working on the former, but, sorry to say, can't do anything about the latter  ;)

Lar Naparka

I'm afraid you can include me in as Groucho Marx might put it.
Used to be crippled with the damn condition- frequent attacks in both feet that left me unable to walk without great pain and difficulty.
However, without really understanding why, the attacks have eased off considerably and I can't recall experiencing severe pain in the last five years or so.
I have been using Alpurinol for the condition and it probably is effective in stopping all but the most severe attacks.
However, it is no use when I am experiencing a severe attack but since I was also prescribed Colchicine when I felt an attack coming on, I have managed to get away with nothing more than relatively minor discomfort.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Milltown Row2

Thanks for the advice, it's a strange one but I definitely fall in the bracket of rich foods and probably over my weekly allowance of alcohol! Not over weight though.

If I look back at it this is probably my third I just thought initially it was an injury from running or hiit classes I was talking. The pain is unreal at the start but eases throughout the day, hobbled along with dogs for their walk today, about 5k. Feeling a lot better now, my turn for the NY bash so 18 coming for food and drinks! So it may flare up again in the morning !  :-\

Ball Hopper

Chemo 1 of 8 done and dusted.  Had 4 hr infusion on 18 Dec and wore pump for the following 46 hours for 5-FU drug.  Side effects were very manageable - some fatigue for about 5 days, early bed and late rise every day - took afternoon nap on only 1 day...but falling asleep on the sofa under a blanket while watching sports on TV is not unusual for me.

No effect on appetite over the Christmas, although I failed to finish the second plate of turkey and ham.  Had some wine last night and I enjoyed it immensely.

I must say that I'm really enjoying the days I'm feeling great - a little lesson there maybe regarding overall attitude to what's going on around us?

Next session is Tuesday, 7 Jan and I'm expecting a little more down time as the cumulative effect starts.  I'll update around the Sunday after that.

BennyCake

Gout can be caused if your kidneys are functioning properly, the crystals can't be broken down properly and pass through and head to the knee/foot.

I think the rich food thing is a myth?

Cider vinegar and honey in hot water meant to be good for it. Cherry juice as well.

Boycey

Well done Ball Hopper keep her lit....

Ur story getting swamped by tales of gout, gout is a bastard though

BennyCake

Yes, best of luck ball hopper.  Hope all goes well.

bannside

Good stuff BH. Going to be an interesting and honest blog.

Tony Baloney

Sounds like you've got the correct attitude Ball Hopper. Not sure I'd be quite as chipper but it'll definitely help. All the best in 2020.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Boycey on December 31, 2019, 10:28:37 PM
Well done Ball Hopper keep her lit....

Ur story getting swamped by tales of gout, gout is a b**tard though

Sorry  :(

All the best Hopper, your attitude is inspirational!