Louth Club Football and Hurling

Started by pedro, August 12, 2007, 11:16:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedro

LE I took your advice for going on the rip the last night but it has fone me no good, nerves are killing me!!

As a definit last post I will clear up the questions.

Basically Cooley has the pick from Martin's Pub to Greenore, Including Carlingford. Pats were formed in 1953 and many of the founders actually played on the same teams as the Kickhams. Our pick would be Lordship, Bellurgan, Ravensdale.

As regards Omeath, they were in a kind of no-mansland up until recently. Most of them declared for Cooley (some for the pats) but due to politics they were often overlooked for 'genuine Cooley men'. The same politics also made it hard for Carlingford men to make the team. When Cuchullainn Gaels were set up there catchment area consisted of Omeath and part of Carlingford. Now, Cooley objected to the forming of the club, claiming that they were going to poach some of their players and as such weaken the Cooley team (this despite the fact that Cooley fielded 3 teams). Anyway, Cuchallainn got the go-ahead and some of the so-called 'outcasts' from Cooley - boys that couldn't even get a game with the Juniors - began training with Cuchullainn figuring that they would at least get a bit of football. This coincided with Cooley getting to the final stages of the Junior Championship and to prevent the ex Cooley players from signing for Cuchullainns they promised them starting places on the Junior team. As such Cooley have brought players in from the wilderness who are never going to get a sniff of senior football and in turn prevented the Gaels from strengthening their senior team, something which was badly needed.

To highlight Cooley's treatment to the new club, I'll tell you this one. Cuchullainn Gaels were having their first night as a newly formed club. This was a big fundraiser for the club and many big names where there, Joe Brolly was doing MC, Tyrone players brought the Sam Maguire, Armagh boys brought the Ulster trophy, James Colgan (Down) had the AllIreland minor, Paddy Keenan had the Railway Cup, Francie Bellew donated his number 3 jersey from Cross which he wore when they won their 10th SFC. Anyway you get the picture, it was to be a big nite with auctions, donations etc. This night was planned for months in advance and what do Cooley do?? Not only did they snub an invitation from the Gaels but they booked their presentation night for the same night. This meant that Paddy Oliver (Co. Board Chairman) and Sean Kelly (GAA President at the time) had the duty to leave the Gaels' nite and go to Cooley to present them with their medals for the ACC Cup or league or whatever it was.

So much for neighbourly love eh??!

Anyhow, rant over. Time to get focussed for the big day, maybe a few wee ones in Fitzpatricks beforehand to calm the nerves!!

Naomh Padraig Abu!!
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Louth Exile

That is not a bad bet alright, better value than what Loneshark is offering as well.

Nothing too surprising about the Kickhams/Gaels relationship there Pedro.

The weather ain't great here in Navan, hope its a bit better in Dundalk, better bring the cota mor anyway
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Louth Exile

Well it ain't going to be as bad as the Clans field last year, the lads said it was in awful state.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

twotwocharlie

is peter fitzpatrick in charge of St Pats ?

Louth Exile

Yeah, last years final was on the 8th of October, thought the pitch was in good shape and the overall level of organisation was good as well. Caught the second half of a game in Meath after it and could believe how hard the pitch was in Senchalstown.

Noticed a couple of things about the programme, they used the exact same picture of Paddy as they used last year. Also delighted to read what Paddy's biggest sporting disappointment was and Baby Goss comments on LMFM after the game as well  ;) But enough of that stuff.

On the minor game, only say the second half and thought the Gers were worthy champs. Wouldn't disagree with the MOM and the lads with me who were there for the whole game thought it about right. The YI penalty was a poor call by Matthews and I thought he really tried to make a game of it, but the Gers were having none of it. Well done to them

Its three out of the last five the Pats have won ML (Mattock in 05) but you are right, a massive achievement, particualry for a club who had never won it once before that.

I enjoyed the game and the atmosphere, with these two it was never going to be a classic and overall given how thought a game it would be to handle I thought that Ref did grand. Highlights are on TG4 tommorow night at 8.30

Karl White had a very good opening with a good point and brilliantly taken penalty. I thought he needed it given that he was poor against Mattock. The penalty which was ultimately the deciding factor was the right call. A feature of the first half was how much of the game was played in the Pats half, although the better side, their entire half forward line and midfiled played very deep, this meant on a number of occasions when they were in possesion they were reliant on working to near midfield and then driving it into the FF line. Cooley didn't do themselves any favours either, kicking a number of balls down the throats of the Finnegan lads and PK.
Was impressed with the long range free taking of the two Conors. Owen Z was a loss as he was playing a good game before having to go off, this of course coincided with big Sean coming on and gave Cooley a bit of impetus. Ray F was proabably best player in the first half, he was everywhere.

In the second half Goss had a great game, Mallon got on the ball a lot in the third qtr and Paddy the same in the fourth. One thing I will say about the ref is that he was edging towards the draw at the end and I think it was two minutes into injury time when Pats keeper had to pull off a save to maintain Pats three point advantage.

Well done to the Pats and enjoy the week. Hope ye can do the county proud in Leinster.

pedro

Lads I dont even know what I'm writing here!! i really cannot contain my happiness and this will go on for a full week!! I can tell you now that these players will enojy this week (too much probably!)  but they will definitely give the Leinster a good go.

P.S. - Thanks for your prayers lads, we neded them in the end!!  :D :D
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Louth Exile

Managed to work out how to put pictures up on a thread, here are few good ones of Goss & D Connor from last year!!

If only they had transfered like they said they would  :D

Gold

watched the highlights on TG4--seemed very scrappy with lots of turnovers and basic errors--good crowd tho there seems to be a fierce rivalry there
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Louth Exile

The coverage was poorly edited in IMHO, they didn't show cooley's first point which was a cracker, or their goal chance 2 mins into injury time that could have leveled the game. Pats kicked three 50's which is fair going in any game, they could have at least shown one of them. Sound engineer didn't seem to pick up just how much of an atmosphere there was

Louth Exile

They had two cameras, elevated to about the height of the back wall, just the far side of the press box, similar postion to where the camera is for the 03 Final on the youtube vid.

Louth Exile

You are right that is great news and fully deserved. I think it might be our first nomination, Anyone know??

Louth Exile

I was reading the full of this article in the Democrat at lunchtime
http://www.hoganstand.com/Louth/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=83946
A bit slanderous I would have thought, he doesn't name names, but I don't think he is talking about Pat Hamilton!

On the lighter side of things.........
http://www.hoganstand.com/Louth/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=83901

Louth Exile

You and I know that despite his seniority he doesn't really have the power to affect this, but sure that is never going to stop a cooley man having a snipe.

Louth Exile

You were at the Blues/Cooley game ML. I was talking to some of the Joes lads who were at it admitted that O'Neill's sending off was harmless enough in their opinion. What did you think?

pedro

Firstly congrats to PK, really really deserves it and great to see Louth getting recognised for their run last year.

Secondly, i think Gary Thornton should shut his mouth and take his beating fair and square. If his team is going to keep playing on the edge like they have been all year then they are due more red cards. If this was a small club like, say, Annaminnon (sp?) would they have gotten off? I don't think so. The club got what they wanted (O'Neill to be playing) and its a simple fact that they weren't good enough.

Now, seeing as O'Neill got off on a technicality (a mistake in the referee's report) does the Blues not have the right to go to Leinster Council or whoever and appeal Judges and Philips sending offs?? I know it may not be right but a precedent has been set in regards to this game and the GAA, yet again, have left themselves wide open.

It's just another example of the rulebook not being watertight