2024 Allianz Hurling League

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 27, 2024, 09:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueandwhite1

Sendings off were harmless. There was no dirt in the match. One was a double yellow. Laois were not good with the exception of Quinlan and the full back line. They looked dead on their feet and the hurling was not sharp. Down moved the ball well and won most of the puck outs. They don't look dangerous up front though. Maher says Laois are deliberately taking a risk with combining heavy training blocks with the early league. Hope he's right or we are in trouble.

redsetanta

Getting the updates from Midlands Radio 3 I couldn't believe we were only 1 point ahead with a few minutes of normal time remaining.
Thankfully we came good and got over the line.
Need a greater effort against Kildare next week before the Carlow game who had a good win themselves away to Kerry.
Top 2 teams go up to the new 1B however for momentum going into the McDonagh we need to be improving in each game.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Is Kfm (Kildare) pretty good about broadcasting full matches? It looks like the Kildare football match follows the hurling match.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

les Antiques

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on February 06, 2024, 08:47:44 PMIs Kfm (Kildare) pretty good about broadcasting full matches? It looks like the Kildare football match follows the hurling match.

No football this weekend .

Mossy Bruce

I emailed Kfm and found out they will be covering the whole match. Yay!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

I just saw the results for the Down v. Kerry match. What the hell.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

G@@

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on February 10, 2024, 07:36:11 PMI just saw the results for the Down v. Kerry match. What the hell.
Very surprising. Thats two losses now by Kerry and they're rooted to the bottom of the table.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on February 10, 2024, 08:54:28 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on February 10, 2024, 07:36:11 PMI just saw the results for the Down v. Kerry match. What the hell.
Very surprising. Thats two losses now by Kerry and they're rooted to the bottom of the table.
By the way -- Hi, G@@! I sent you a short message, a week or so ago.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

Half-time while listening to the match on Kfm (the commentator has the personality of a sack of concrete). A slow start for the lads. Hopefully, they kick it into gear in the second half.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

burdizzo

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on February 11, 2024, 02:41:02 PMHalf-time while listening to the match on Kfm (the commentator has the personality of a sack of concrete). A slow start for the lads. Hopefully, they kick it into gear in the second half.

I think Jack Nolan's doing it on Midlands Radio, no?

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: burdizzo on February 11, 2024, 02:53:40 PM
Quote from: Mossy Bruce on February 11, 2024, 02:41:02 PMHalf-time while listening to the match on Kfm (the commentator has the personality of a sack of concrete). A slow start for the lads. Hopefully, they kick it into gear in the second half.

I think Jack Nolan's doing it on Midlands Radio, no?

I'll check it out. I assumed Midlands Radio would be covering anything but a Laois match.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

redsetanta

Got there in the end. Carlow next day out will be a far bigger test.

Westmeath and Offaly's performances yesterday would want to have them thinking about the Joe McDonagh though.

As said earlier I hope Maher is fine tuning his championship side.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: redsetanta on February 12, 2024, 10:33:47 AM...Westmeath and Offaly's performances yesterday would want to have them thinking about the Joe McDonagh though.

Yeah, the Westmeath and Limerick final scores were much closer than I would have expected. :o
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

on the hop

first time to see the hurlers in a while and they made hard work on beating a very limited Kildare team who were down several injured players. Strong wind throughout the game was with Kildare in the first half and they started very strong before Laois got their bearings. Both teams deployed a sweeper at times which benefitted Kildare more as they got off a lot of shots, had they been more accurate they could have been further ahead. Laois seemed to have issues tracking players in the middle third. Despite the wind being very strong Laois seemed to persist in hitting high balls into the corners which didn't suit the inside line.

Scoring rate for both teams decreased in the second half as both seem to be very laboured at times, possibly doing heavy training. Laois exploited a few mistakes in the second half and finished with three good goals. Kildare fell away for 20 minutes where Laois scored well to open a gap. near the end they became a bit ill disciplined and let Kildare get a few scores. Wasn't the best performance but got over the line.

G@@

Carlow on Saturday evening, February 24th will be a stern test. At least we have them in Portlaoise. They have scored 3-22 in each of their two wins to date, conceding 19pts in each tie also. That's a winning margin of 12pts per game. Laois have won on average by 7.5pts in our opening two games. So, we really need a strong performance when compared to what we've put in so far in the opening two games.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!