Author Topic: Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017  (Read 1266 times)

Clubber Lang

• View Profile
Re: Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2017, 03:51:10 PM »
I'm just hoping this is not a PR exercise for county board to take the heat off them. Whatever does emerge from this review lets hope it is implemented. Change is badly needed to restore optimism and hope within the county. With the current structures in place in Kildare and Dublin at the moment it could take the guts of a decade of hard work to produce a competitive senior team. Kildare and Dublin are unearthing 2/3 serious underage footballers every year that are feeding into the senior team set-up and providing competition for those already there. 

Looking at the starting teams at the weekend for the connaught football and munster hurling final all the teams are pretty much aged 25 and under with a sprinkling of older players to add the necessary experience. It's frightening to think how far off the pace Laois are going to be in 2/3 years time. At moment our starting team has 3/4 players in that age bracket-O'Carroll, Buggie, P Kingston, Attrite- Of these only Attrite is a guaranteed starter. Whoever is managing Laois next year will need to identify the best 9/10 young footballers in the county and give them plenty of game time next year in division 4 and begin the rebuilding process.

OTF

• View Profile
Re: Strategic Review of Gaelic Games in Laois 2017
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 05:23:08 PM »
I'm just hoping this is not a PR exercise for county board to take the heat off them. Whatever does emerge from this review lets hope it is implemented. Change is badly needed to restore optimism and hope within the county. With the current structures in place in Kildare and Dublin at the moment it could take the guts of a decade of hard work to produce a competitive senior team. Kildare and Dublin are unearthing 2/3 serious underage footballers every year that are feeding into the senior team set-up and providing competition for those already there. 

Looking at the starting teams at the weekend for the connaught football and munster hurling final all the teams are pretty much aged 25 and under with a sprinkling of older players to add the necessary experience. It's frightening to think how far off the pace Laois are going to be in 2/3 years time. At moment our starting team has 3/4 players in that age bracket-O'Carroll, Buggie, P Kingston, Attrite- Of these only Attrite is a guaranteed starter. Whoever is managing Laois next year will need to identify the best 9/10 young footballers in the county and give them plenty of game time next year in division 4 and begin the rebuilding process.

I had a look through the 2009 document and as far as I'm aware  ( I'm open to correction and I hope I'm wrong) very little if any of that plan was implemented.
IMO a PR exercise is exactly what it is.