Rule Changes

Started by Butch Cassidy, January 20, 2017, 12:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butch Cassidy

With all the talk of how we can improve the game i.e. introducing the Mark, it got me thinking of what I would like to see change

1) Awarding of 2 points for a point scored outside 45m line. This would encourage the actual kicking of a point and would counter the blanket defence.
2) For underage up to u14 or maybe u16 I would like to see the player fouled take the free similar to the basketball concept.

Anyone else have any ideas or they happy with the current game?

Tony

Interesting ideas Butch - about the awarding of 2 points outside the 45 - To be fair I think this would lead to a LOT of wayward shooting in games. Only a proper talented player can consistently score points from play out there. The likes of Donie for example. I think otherwise you'd see a lot of people trying it and a lot more wides than we currently see. Very interesting idea though in my opinion. I think the game is pretty good as is but I would like to see rule changes in provincial tournaments. The current draw is very unfair in my opinion (Leinster / ulster / munster / connaught). It's a nice tradition but if we want to make it an even chance for everyone, a champions league format would be better in my opinion.

Target Man

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on January 20, 2017, 12:29:25 PM
With all the talk of how we can improve the game i.e. introducing the Mark, it got me thinking of what I would like to see change

1) Awarding of 2 points for a point scored outside 45m line. This would encourage the actual kicking of a point and would counter the blanket defence.
2) For underage up to u14 or maybe u16 I would like to see the player fouled take the free similar to the basketball concept.

Anyone else have any ideas or they happy with the current game?

1. Woud encourage aimless kicking as most players incapable of doing this withany consistency (Even with more emphasis on it in training etc)

2. Good idea for younger players. Not sure if u14/u16 too far to bring it up

Don Draper

3 points for an outside of the boot. Be a great initiative.

SCFC

Quote from: Don Draper on January 21, 2017, 09:26:37 AM
5 points for a junior c lad with his weaker foot.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: SCFC on January 21, 2017, 09:49:47 AM

6 points for Billy Sheehan with either foot?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Dave like the tv channel

Scores from fat lads should count for double. Coz it means more to them, just like in scoring in a nightclub.....might not always be pretty, but carries more weight.

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on January 21, 2017, 09:49:47 AM
An extra two points I'd he has a lit cigarette between the teeth

hurlingmad

Quote from: Dave like the tv channel on January 21, 2017, 02:07:04 PM
Scores from fat lads should count for double. Coz it means more to them, just like in scoring in a nightclub.....might not always be pretty, but carries more weight.
this

Junior Ex Laoistalk

I agree with hurlingmad.... :(

Think I'll go back to Hogan Stand for a bit of intelligent conversation ...
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

redsetanta

Said it before that the time allocated at the end of the game should be taken out of the referees hands. Have an independent time keeper who has a set of guidelines for time allocated during the game for subs, injuries etc etc and this additional time is added on at the end and the amount of time is communicated to the ref.

Stop goalkeepers taking free kicks inside the opposition half. It's a complete time wasting excercise.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Would agree totally with those proposals redsetanta, the timekeeping one works very well in ladies football and there's no reason why it shouldn't be brought in to the men's game.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Butch Cassidy

What's the thoughts on Duffys proposals? My tuppence worth

1) Round robin at quarter final series - against it. GAA ploy to increase revenue to counteract fall in attendances. Also increases number of games in an already condensed calender

2) Bring All Ireland final forward - agree.

3) Extra time instead of replays - agree

Did he mention anything about hurling championship?

Don Draper

Quote from: Butch Cassidy on January 24, 2017, 07:50:03 PM
What's the thoughts on Duffys proposals? My tuppence worth

1) Round robin at quarter final series - against it. GAA ploy to increase revenue to counteract fall in attendances. Also increases number of games in an already condensed calender

2) Bring All Ireland final forward - agree.

3) Extra time instead of replays - agree

Did he mention anything about hurling championship?
Traditional Hurling men would explode if a Monaghan man was to speak about the Hurling Championship