Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Target Man on June 06, 2017, 03:51:01 PM
.   (The  Leinster  Championship  Team  to  be  included in the  Munster  Group  shall,  where feasible,  be  one  of  the  two  Teams  that  qualified for the  Leinster  Quarter-Finals through  the  Provincial  Qualifier  Group. If  however  both  of  these  Teams  qualify  for  the Leinster  Final,  then the  replacement  shall  be  one  of  the  Leinster  Teams  defeated by them.  An  initial  Draw  shall  be  made  to  determine  the  Team  from  the  Leinster championship  which  is  to  be  included in  Bowl  2

Quote from: County baller on June 06, 2017, 11:20:29 PM
Yeah you're right it could've been either before the draw today. Essentially what the draw today was, was to decide who went into the Munster pot only to get into that pot you have to beat the Christy Ring Champions.

I haven't a clue eitherways but just wondering are what Target Man and County Baller saying not contradicting each other? From the first post I'd read that either Laois or Westmeath could still end up in Munster bowl?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Target Man

Not sure Keyser if the fact we were drawn in prelim round means we also get into munster group, County baller may well be correct (ie that draw of Laois or Westmeath may have been taken also as draw for Munster pot as draw would be between same two teams)

smcder

yeah we go into the munster pot if we beat Antrim/Carlow.  Can't get Wexford again,  but can get Westmeath.  The Westmeath game not counted as a repeat fixture.  So once Kilkenny beat Wexford,  and we beat Antrim/Carlow, we can get Offaly, Westmeath or Dublin.  If Kilkenny lose we might get them either.  Don't think that will happen.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: smcder on June 07, 2017, 09:34:03 PM
yeah we go into the munster pot if we beat Antrim/Carlow.  Can't get Wexford again,  but can get Westmeath.  The Westmeath game not counted as a repeat fixture.  So once Kilkenny beat Wexford,  and we beat Antrim/Carlow, we can get Offaly, Westmeath or Dublin.  If Kilkenny lose we might get them either.  Don't think that will happen.

Could well have 3 more games so! Be longest run in many a year!
Be great to beat Offaly!

Don Draper

We've an awful record in the qualifiers. Lets get past Carlow/Antrim first. Great opportunity for the lads if we do. How are we on injuries?

Don Draper

Willie Dunphy cleared to play Antrim/Carlow.

burdizzo

Good, harsh enough red card.
Anyone have any thoughts on the (proposed) championship structure for next year? Is it worth a new topic? Not mad about it myself.

Don Draper

Quote from: burdizzo on June 09, 2017, 07:54:58 AM
Good, harsh enough red card.
Anyone have any thoughts on the (proposed) championship structure for next year? Is it worth a new topic? Not mad about it myself.
I'll make a decision on it once we get knocked out in the semi final stages this year.

Tobias

Big and very comfortable win for Carlow yesterday. I don't think that was expected. It will be a local derby now in a neutral venue(possibly Nowlan park). I think a lot will depend on the attitude of the Laois team. We are good enough to beat Carlow without question. Unfortunately the qualifier route has not been a happy hunting ground for us, Im not sure if we have ever won a qualifier game.I felt that after we were knocked out of the Leinster Championship the sting was taken out of us. This year however we have a chance to progress a bit in the Championship and its something the players deserve for all their efforts. Carlow will be a tough proposition though and will be high on confidence. We will have to be mentally right for this one and come out all guns blazing. I hope our management were at the Christy ring cup final and have identified their strengths and weaknesses, our felt our management were quite naïve against Wexford in not counter acting Shaun Murphy. Presuming everyone is fit id start the following team..
Rowland
Palmer
Bergin
Cleere
Whelan
Collier
Healy
Purcell
King
Downey
Cha
W Dunphy
Picky
Foyle
M Kavanagh

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Tobias on June 11, 2017, 04:22:25 AM
felt our management were quite naïve against Wexford in not counter acting Shaun Murphy.

I felt they were even more naive in how they chose to eventually counteract it!

felt our management were quite naïve against Wexford in not counter acting Shaun Murphy. Presuming everyone is fit id start the following team..
Rowland
Palmer
Bergin
Cleere
Whelan
Collier
Healy
Purcell
King
Downey
Cha
W Dunphy
Picky
Foyle
M Kavanagh

Collier centre back? That'd be a huge ask!
If Healy is back then Palmer probably has to go based on the last day.
Don't think Mark Kavanagh did enough to earn a spot either.
Interesting team though

ClashAsh

Think the Kilkenny U21's minus their senior panel players gave Laois seniors a beaten in a challenge game on Friday.

merman

Didn't hear that but a worrying result if true.
To be fair I suppose, the vast majority of the team would have come through a tough league game with their clubs just 24 hours earlier.

Willie Dunphy is gone for the Carlow game, broken hand picked up in training during the week.

Tobias

Quote from: Keyser Söze on June 11, 2017, 10:59:46 AM
felt our management were quite naïve against Wexford in not counter acting Shaun Murphy.

I felt they were even more naive in how they chose to eventually counteract it!

felt our management were quite naïve against Wexford in not counter acting Shaun Murphy. Presuming everyone is fit id start the following team..
Rowland
Palmer
Bergin
Cleere
Whelan
Collier
Healy
Purcell
King
Downey
Cha
W Dunphy
Picky
Foyle
M Kavanagh

Collier centre back? That'd be a huge ask!
If Healy is back then Palmer probably has to go based on the last day.
Don't think Mark Kavanagh did enough to earn a spot either.
Interesting team though

Collier at CB might be a bit of a surprise but I feel most teams are now running at defenses from deep (as we are now with Paddy Purcell), so we need a guy with pace and energy at centre back so that when we are turned he can get back to challenge . He's been excellent since he came back from injury and he would have good support from Matthew and Healy on the wings.
Palmer hadn't his best game the last day but he was very good in the league against good opposition and imo doesn't deserve to be dropped, also by playing him and bringing Cahir back in it allows Cha to go back to the half forward line where he is badly needed.
I would give Mark Kavanagh a chance, he was probably our best forward in the u21 until injured. Bar maybe Downey, have any of the other forwards done enough to keep their place?? We were very lightweight against Wexford in the forward line and without trying to be too harsh im not sure if some of the forwards playing the last day will ever be good enough to play at this level. The news about Willie Dunphy is unfortunate as he should have more to offer, I would have played him in the half forward line as he can both win ball and score, one of our strengths in recent years has been getting scores from out the field, to do this we need good strikers in the half forward line and midfield.

redsetanta

Carlow at home on Sunday 27th at 3.30pm.

Carlow not to be taken lightly after what was an impressive display beating Antrim. Hopefully the lads will be up for it and it be great if Kelly changes things up a bit but also prepared to make changes if required, quicker than he did against Wexford.

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

G@@

Considering the WX-KK game it put's our game V Wexford in a better light. Carlow will be a tough assignment no doubt, but I feel the home advantage should see us through by three or four points. To get Offaly in the following round should we win at home on June 24th would be fantastic. Dublin would not be a bad one to get either. IC hurling on the 8th of July looks plausible from here provided we avoid the heavyweights of Munster & Kilkenny.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!