Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

heffo

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 12:44:32 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 12:43:39 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 12:41:54 PM
Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 10:13:27 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on June 25, 2015, 09:52:06 AM
Laois are better than what they have shown in recent years. I think it would be quite easy to get a better manager than TOF.

It seems that every manager for the last fifteen years has been ran out of the place whether he was internal or external.
O Flatharta resigned.

I know that but there have been a single Laois supporter who would've wanted him to stay had he not resigned straight away?
Hard to know, he didnt speak to anyone after the match find out.

To put it different, have you spoken to any Laois fans who have spoken positively about his term and indicated they'd have liked him to stay?

Don Draper

Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 12:47:08 PM
Laois are better than what they have shown in recent years. I think it would be quite easy to get a better manager than TOF.

It seems that every manager for the last fifteen years has been ran out of the place whether he was internal or external.
O Flatharta resigned.

I know that but there have been a single Laois supporter who would've wanted him to stay had he not resigned straight away?

To put it different, have you spoken to any Laois fans who have spoken positively about his term and indicated they'd have liked him to stay?
Oh yea, loads. You'd always tend to hear loads of positivity about a manager of a team who fucked away two leads against Kildare and were beaten by Tipperary and Antrim at home in the Championship.

heffo

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 12:48:19 PM

O Flatharta resigned.

Oh yea, loads. You'd always tend to hear loads of positivity about a manager of a team who fucked away two leads against Kildare and were beaten by Tipperary and Antrim at home in the Championship.

So the same cycle will continue over and over irrespective whether the manager is internal or external?

Don Draper

Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 01:02:18 PM

O Flatharta resigned.

So the same cycle will continue over and over irrespective whether the manager is internal or external?

Listen, Heffo, if that is your real name, can I call you heffo? Cheers. Heffo, Tomás chose to step down, because he realised his role was untenable after managing two shocking defeats. This happens. You said about Laois running a manager and I said he wasn't run, he ran. He ran so fast, he didnt even talk to anyone leaving. Tomás is a nice man, and he realised the game was up. Now, lets leave it at that shall we Heffo. Cheers mate.

heffo

Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 01:14:11 PM

O Flatharta resigned.

Listen, Heffo, if that is your real name, can I call you heffo? Cheers. Heffo, Tomás chose to step down, because he realised his role was untenable after managing two shocking defeats. This happens. You said about Laois running a manager and I said he wasn't run, he ran. He ran so fast, he didnt even talk to anyone leaving. Tomás is a nice man, and he realised the game was up. Now, lets leave it at that shall we Heffo. Cheers mate.

I think you're struggling in general with the concept of a discussion forum

Don Draper

Quote from: heffo on June 25, 2015, 01:16:49 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on June 25, 2015, 01:14:11 PM

O Flatharta resigned.

I think you're struggling in general with the concept of a discussion forum
I just dont like people being wrong, so I corrected you and we had an enjoyable to and fro. But I can't see it becoming anything more meaningful than that, no matter how much you wish for it. I am sorry Heffo ol pal.

Unison

Article on Hoganstand says we are likely to shop locally for a new manager. It names Joe Higgins, Tom Conroy, Chris Conway, Fergal Byron and Pat Roe as likely candidates. I hope a local appointment doesn't end in tears.

I would agree with those who suggest that a John Evans type football supremo appointment should be made.

Don Draper

Quote from: Unison on June 25, 2015, 07:44:46 PM
Article on Hoganstand says we are likely to shop locally for a new manager. It names Joe Higgins, Tom Conroy, Chris Conway, Fergal Byron and Pat Roe as likely candidates. I hope a local appointment doesn't end in tears.

I would agree with those who suggest that a John Evans type football supremo appointment should be made.
Sean Dempsey and Mick Dempsey for the supremo. Make it happen.

Pat Roe wont get next nor near the Laois job, and even he knows that.

Teo Lurley

If we could get a modern manager, someone who thinks about the game and its methods, someone who can organise a team to play to its strenghts and hide its weaknesses. Unfortunatly I don't think that man is in Laois.
It can't be denied now that Justin McNulty was getting about as much as can be got out of this squad of players. It wasn't always perfect but he made us competitive. Many Laois fans thought we had the players to play a more attacking game, it's clear that we do not.
We need defensive organisation and an attack based around Kingston. We need a young manager that has the qualities I described earlier and someone that's passionate about the game. We need Tony McEntee.

Giovanni

If we were to go local, I think I'd go for Chris Conway. I always thought he might have the makings of a good manager.

Outside of the county, I'd go for one Martin McHugh (did a great job in Cavan and still doing it with Sligo IT), McStay, Gilroy. I don't know if I'd risk an inexperienced manager from outside the county to be honest.

BallyroanAbu

I think it's going to have to be a young Laois manager prob someone off the 2003 team and managing at club level that would make Joe Higgins the early favourite any sort of a decent showing from Arles Kileen and he has the job.  I would think Chris is a good future manager but he is still playing and thats never a good thing.  Clancy and Kavanagh if they got a decent run would be considered.  A couple who should be considered are Tommy Conroy and Mick Moore but they have been around awhile and have not been considered.  This years club championship will be the C.V for the Laois manager.

Helix

I agree with having a local manager for the senior job but not to forget the urgent work needed at underage level to get back to competing in Leinster should be primary aim. Hard to believe it's 8 years since we competed in a minor leinster final ad very little to show for.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Joeythelips

TOF was certainly found out, he was found out before the Laois job in fairness. Whats needed is a good management team. Good managers surround themselves with good people and delegate all the roles creating a professional set up where nothing is left to chance. Justin Mcnulty had such a set up but his failing was tactically going forward he had very little ideas, the best example was the quarter final against Dublin where we ran them very close but I never once really thought we would win it.

I dont mind given outside managers a chance once they are proven but i can t think of any ones out there that are available. But we have some good coaches and managers working hard in Laois. My club Kilcavan had Derek Conroy for example for a few years, he also did a decent job with the u-21s this year, not the best tactically attacking wise similar to Mcnulty but he was very organised and an excellent defensive coach. I would like to see a management team of Joe Higgins and a few others like Conway, Conroy. These are proud Laois men who would know every player in the county regardless of grade. If they gave half what they gave as players we would do very well indeed.

I also agree that the underage structure needs help as we seem to be producing very few new talents in recent years, Sean Dempsey may have been found wanting at senior level but the man did great work at underage and should be in charge of this.

redsetanta

Sean not unlike Brian Kerr.

Laois should get him back involved underage if it's something he would do. He hasn't been out of work since leaving Laois. Plenty of set ups have availed of his services.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: Giovanni on June 27, 2015, 07:49:17 PM
If we were to go local, I think I'd go for Chris Conway. I always thought he might have the makings of a good manager.

Outside of the county, I'd go for one Martin McHugh (did a great job in Cavan and still doing it with Sligo IT), McStay, Gilroy. I don't know if I'd risk an inexperienced manager from outside the county to be honest.
Ah FFS McHugh is a bluffer of the highest order, his day is done.