Robert Dunlop killed in North West 200

Started by ExiledGael, May 15, 2008, 10:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Dunlop seriously ill after crash

Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop is seriously ill after suffering severe chest injuries in a crash in Thursday's practice session at the North West 200.
Another Northern Ireland rider, Darren Burns, suffered a suspected broken leg and concussion in the accident, but is said to be stable in hospital.
The accident happened in the 250cc qualifying as the riders approached the Mathers Cross Section of the course.
Dunlop's brother Joey was killed in a racing accident in Estonia in 2000.
The riders were travelling at speeds of about 160 miles per hour when the accident happened.
Dunlop's bike appeared to seize and he went over the handlebars.
Burns was following behind and was unable to avoid hitting the Ballymoney rider.
Robert Dunlop sustained serious injuries in a crash at the Isle of Man TT in 1994 before later returning to action.

I know the debate comes up every year, but is this sport worth all this?
The latest in the area suggests he has serious head injuries also.

ziggysego

Jesus. I hope he pulls through!
Testing Accessibility

Surreal Steve

Apparently he has died within last half an hour. RIP

ziggysego

Where'd you hear that Steve?
Testing Accessibility

Surreal Steve

F365 forum, a poster on there

Hurler on the Bitch

Quote from: Surreal Steve on May 15, 2008, 10:42:03 PM
Apparently he has died within last half an hour. RIP

If true.............. that's it ... has to be ....

haranguerer

Thats brutal, RIP indeed.

The debate does come up often, but its worthwhile. The main issue seems to be how much do you protect people from themselves. It must be absolutely terrifying to be close to someone who competes - the sport is on the edge all the time. I don't think I could put those close to me in that situation regularly, especially when you're seeing the heartbreak so often. But then for those riders its their whole life...

May he rest in peace if that news is true. 

Surreal Steve

Hurler on the Bitch

Radio Ulster 11.00 RIP Robert...

ziggysego

RIP Robert and God Bless.
Testing Accessibility

brokencrossbar1

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/motorbikes/7403931.stm

Robert Dunlop dies after NW crash 

Dunlop survived a major accident on the Isle of Man TT in 1994
Motorcyclist Robert Dunlop has died after suffering severe chest injuries in a crash in Thursday's practice session at the North West 200.

Another Northern Ireland rider, Darren Burns, suffered a suspected broken leg and concussion in the accident, but is said to be stable in hospital.

The accident happened in the 250cc qualifying as the riders approached the Mathers Cross Section of the course.

Dunlop's brother Joey was killed in a racing accident in Estonia in 2000.

The riders were travelling at speeds of about 160 miles per hour when the accident happened.

Dunlop's bike appeared to seize and he went over the handlebars.

Burns was following behind and was unable to avoid hitting the Ballymoney rider.

Robert Dunlop sustained serious injuries in a crash at the Isle of Man TT in 1994 before later returning to action

RIP

DoYerJob Linesman

God rest his soul.

Can we now call a halt to this suicidal "sport" ?
17/03/02 - Semple Stadium Thurles - Heaven On Earth

Norf Tyrone

I went into Portstewart a wee run yesterday with the weather being good. I am no fan of motor cycling, but there was a real buzz about the place. I was just thinking when the wee lads a year older next year to take him up. However there are downsides to the week too, as we have just learnt.

Another sad day for the Dunlop family.

RIP
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Yes I Would

Very sad news!! RIP!

Surely the future of this sport, if it can be described as sport should be seriously examined. Deaths of young men becoimg all too common!!

Orior

Sad news.

I cant understand why people go to watch this stuff. I love F1 and track motor cycling, but that sport(?) is mad. Why are we made to wear seat belts in cars if people can still ride bikes at speed on the open road?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians