The Gym and Fitness Thread

Started by JimStynes, February 09, 2022, 08:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 23, 2023, 09:13:47 PM
Science backs a primer session the day before a match to get the muscles firing. Nothing too straining and low reps!

What's this based on? That's a genuine question by the way

nrico2006

Do nothing the day before, stupid to do anything apart from light stretching or walking.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

square_ball

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 23, 2023, 09:47:21 PM
Science backs a primer session the day before a match to get the muscles firing. Nothing too straining and low reps!

There is plenty of research around it. It's for an experienced lifter and not for a lad that last done a session in the gym 6 months ago. It doesn't do much harm really.

https://www.blkboxfitness.com/blogs/education/the-gameday-primer-principles-and-practices

Milltown Row2

So gym session then the intense warm up session before the game? Are Armagh and Tyrone doing this at the minute?  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SaffronSports

Random question for anyone that knows about fitness. Daughter will turn 12 in April but plays for u-12 and u-14 in both Camogie and Ladies Football.

Obviously that's a lot of potential training sessions before you think of the matches too. How many hours per week would you say she should be training? She's the type of kid who wouldn't tell you if she's sore as she just wants to be playing but I don't want her to be wrecking herself either.

square_ball

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 23, 2023, 10:56:51 PM
So gym session then the intense warm up session before the game? Are Armagh and Tyrone doing this at the minute?  ;)

Probably doing it the day before if they are doing it.

Armagh probably doing mma stuff with McGeeney before matches  :P

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SaffronSports on February 23, 2023, 11:00:28 PM
Random question for anyone that knows about fitness. Daughter will turn 12 in April but plays for u-12 and u-14 in both Camogie and Ladies Football.

Obviously that's a lot of potential training sessions before you think of the matches too. How many hours per week would you say she should be training? She's the type of kid who wouldn't tell you if she's sore as she just wants to be playing but I don't want her to be wrecking herself either.

Personally I feel she should train with her own age level and play there, and for the under 14's games just play only...

She's 12 full of beans, if she's feeling sore at that level I'd be surprised, game wise they'd be lucky to hit 3 miles in a game. Intensity is a lot lower too.

Put a monitor on her if you can just to see the stats you'd be surprised
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Main Street

Pre match, didn't Tyrone warm up with a decade of the rosary. It's not all about science and sweat.

Armagh18

I honestly couldn't tell you where but I've seen some coaches talk about it. Wouldn't be a fan of anything more than light stretching/mobility work the day before but obviously everyone is different

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 24, 2023, 10:29:14 AM

I honestly couldn't tell you where but I've seen some coaches talk about it. Wouldn't be a fan of anything more than light stretching/mobility work the day before but obviously everyone is different

Its not a professional sport if we are talking GAA, professional attitude is ok but we have to think about life after the GAA and they ain't going to pay for your chronic back pain in your 50's 

JimStynes

Bicep curls and tricep extensions the only job before a game  ;)

Armagh18

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2023, 10:39:30 AM

Its not a professional sport if we are talking GAA, professional attitude is ok but we have to think about life after the GAA and they ain't going to pay for your chronic back pain in your 50's
??

Armagh18

Quote from: JimStynes on February 24, 2023, 10:42:05 AM
Bicep curls and tricep extensions the only job before a game  ;)
Do that after the game for a pump before you head on the lash ;)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Armagh18 on February 24, 2023, 10:42:17 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 24, 2023, 10:39:30 AM

??

If you are training 3 nights a week and playing games at the weekend and now doing a session the day of the match or the day before then you will not physically be able to get up and down the stairs without some ache when you hit 50..

Fine if your are a professional sports man who will get looked after and can recover but if you playing GAA and working on a building site or even sitting at a desk then its madness