A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Please give examples of "Northern Irish culture" that all or most of the residents could indulge in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

A lot of it exists. Community  groups ,historical societies,soccer and rugby,drama groups etc.This can be built on,St Patrick's Day could be more inclusive,remove the 12th of July as a public holiday,most importantly create and bolster Northern Irish politics and ethos which is agnostic as far as both unionism and nationalism is concerned.

T Fearon

There is a growing cross community interest and participation in things like Irish Dancing as well.Once you get rid or diminish the odious activities that divides people,anything is possible.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2016, 07:24:22 PM
There is a growing cross community interest and participation in things like Irish Dancing as well.Once you get rid or diminish the odious activities that divides people,anything is possible.

Great craic althogher, but none of this is justification for partition, as people in Monaghan do these things as well.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Whether partition is justified or not,it is a fact and is not going to change.So what do you do? Remember the South of Ireland doesn't want nor can it afford you? Do you continue with the status quo,agitating in a segregated society for something that simply isn't going to happen,or put your energy into breaking down barriers and living in a normal society?

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2016, 07:36:45 PM
Whether partition is justified or not,it is a fact and is not going to change.So what do you do? Remember the South of Ireland doesn't want nor can it afford you? Do you continue with the status quo,agitating in a segregated society for something that simply isn't going to happen,or put your energy into breaking down barriers and living in a normal society?

You present an either/or, I prefer both. I'm all for a normal society and I don't see why a normal society should be unaffordable, otherwise it wouldn't be normal.

T Fearon

Do you seriously think there is a snowball's chance in hell of a Unitec Ireland?

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2016, 07:49:13 PM
Do you seriously think there is a snowball's chance in hell of a Unitec Ireland?

No. Sure things are grand as they are. We have an All Ireland Rugby team. We have a 32(+) county championship in Gaelic football. We have a token AI Championship in Hurling. We have two teams in Soccer in the Euros. We have good cross border relations. We have a Plethora of public representatives.

general_lee

How many more years of being an economic basket case and social blackhole does NI have to endure before people realise something has to change?

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2016, 07:02:11 PM
A lot of it exists. Community  groups ,historical societies,soccer and rugby,drama groups etc.
Sure most places in the World have them sort of things ;)
I see a DUPe MLA Tom Buchanan is going to take part in a SF organised debate on a UI in Omagh I think.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

T Fearon

You are confusing idealism with reality.A United Ireland is further away than ever,and it's due to the contemptible standard of so called nationalist parties North and South,who have failed miserably to facilitate Britain's wish to withdraw.

The panic in the South about a potential Brexit shows that Irish independence from Britain is a sham.

imtommygunn

Remove the 12th of july as a public holiday... Yes that would make a lot of people feel like they are in a shared environment...

Some community groups should be abolished never mind embraced.

armaghniac

Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2016, 09:04:42 PM
You are confusing idealism with reality.A United Ireland is further away than ever,and it's due to the contemptible standard of so called nationalist parties North and South,who have failed miserably to facilitate Britain's wish to withdraw.

We can certainly agree on the uselessness of politicians. However, this is not quite the optimum time for a push on this matter and when the time is better perhaps some competent politicians will step forward.

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 25, 2016, 09:05:55 PM
Remove the 12th of july as a public holiday... Yes that would make a lot of people feel like they are in a shared environment...

What other country in Europe has a public holiday to allow one side of a civil war march about and try and piss off the other side?

T Fearon

Twelfth of July is already ignored in Nationalist towns,it should not be a Public Holiday.Having said that if people want to march with coloured sashes, I don't really care.

imtommygunn

Quote from: armaghniac on January 25, 2016, 09:36:08 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 25, 2016, 09:04:42 PM

We can certainly agree on the uselessness of politicians. However, this is not quite the optimum time for a push on this matter and when the time is better perhaps some competent politicians will step forward.

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 25, 2016, 09:05:55 PM

What other country in Europe has a public holiday to allow one side of a civil war march about and try and piss off the other side?

I didn't say i approved of it. It and all the shit associated with it need abolished as it is the major source of contention here these days however that is highly unlikely.

Not quite the same but similar could be said about loyalists and st patricks day tony.