A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

How much does the British exchequer get for the 6 Cos?
Or does any effer pay any tax at all up there?
In 25 years time I suspect the British Tories will have chopped off the hands of the beggar mentality up there and theywill be close to paying their way.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on January 20, 2016, 02:44:57 PM
Seafoid I was at a Brexit conference in Newry recently.A Sinn Fein mEP asked Bertie if a Brexit wasnt an opportunity for a United Ireland.Bertie more or less told her to catch herself on and that consent was necessary blah blah.That reflects the southern attitude.Unity is not wanted and not affordable.As Professor John A Murphy,Cork, said not too long ago,the citizens of the south should be on their knees thanking God they dont have to sort out parading disputes etc
Can't say I blame them to be honest.
Tony, Bertie is yesterday's man. I am thinking more of voters in 25 years after the UK falls apart.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

general_lee

I'd have thought a Brexit would offer some opportunities for unification. I'd say a lot of the Catholic "unionists" like Tony would soon change their tune when we're left with a bunch of ex-eton tory boys running the place for the forseeable - does anyone really trust them with the nhs???  I'd imagine the Scots would push for another indy ref so they could well be gone. There'd be a land border with the EU and that could potentially mean checkpoints, patrols and possibly even fences. All sounds a bit extreme but I'd say those "small u" unionist Catholics who have no allegiance to the UK other than pragmatism would be persuaded to vote for unification.

HiMucker

Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 12:10:00 PM
Apples beat me to it. A unionist in that council area has now come out and said Dungiven is no-go area for Protestants. Whether that statement holds any validity is neither here nor there, the mask has slipped in that the planned development for a new leisure centre was blocked for motives other than "costs"
If that's the case how come they still march up and down it a few times a year?

LeoMc

Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 04:11:31 PM
Yet it is with the very people at the heart of these disputes that you want to forge a shared identity with? We can't get mutual respect yet here you are advocating that we all join hands and form some new national identity. Mind boggling.
Not really mind boggling. If they are as entrenched as you say they will never accept a UI so no chance of a National identity that way.
Tonys suggestion "find common ground with them, allow them to feel Northern Irish, rather than British" would be a step towards giving them the confidence to let go of the GB apron strings.

No wides

Quote from: LeoMc on January 21, 2016, 10:19:32 AM
Yet it is with the very people at the heart of these disputes that you want to forge a shared identity with? We can't get mutual respect yet here you are advocating that we all join hands and form some new national identity. Mind boggling.
Not really mind boggling. If they are as entrenched as you say they will never accept a UI so no chance of a National identity that way.
Tonys suggestion "find common ground with them, allow them to feel Northern Irish, rather than British" would be a step towards giving them the confidence to let go of the GB apron strings.

But they can't let go of the GB apron strings as GB funds Northern Ireland.

general_lee

Quote from: HiMucker on January 21, 2016, 09:43:52 AM
Quote from: general_lee on January 20, 2016, 12:10:00 PM
Apples beat me to it. A unionist in that council area has now come out and said Dungiven is no-go area for Protestants. Whether that statement holds any validity is neither here nor there, the mask has slipped in that the planned development for a new leisure centre was blocked for motives other than "costs"
If that's the case how come they still march up and down it a few times a year?
ask Boyd Douglas

general_lee

Quote from: LeoMc on January 21, 2016, 10:19:32 AM
I'm not saying they have to adopt any national identity. I would never advocate telling someone from Northern Ireland what identity they should adopt.  What I would tell them to do is empathise, understand and respect other cultures.

Rossfan

A toughjob on your hands there General.
Their way of dealing with other cultures to date has been burning them out!

AQMP

If Tony doesn't get NI21 2.0 soon then he'll just have to rely on Fianna Fail to carry the baton of partitionism!!

T Fearon

Yawn.TUV councillor makes laughable claim that Dungiven is a No Go Area for protestants and even more laughingly a lot on this Board cant see through the electioneering sham fight.Expect more laughable claims,which no one sane takes seriously as the assembly elections draw near.

T Fearon

Its to sideline idiots like Boyd that there is a need for a new party here to emphasise commonality and stop feeding divisiveness.

general_lee

Quote from: T Fearon on January 21, 2016, 11:21:44 AM
Yawn.TUV councillor makes laughable claim that Dungiven is a No Go Area for protestants and even more laughingly a lot on this Board cant see through the electioneering sham fight.Expect more laughable claims,which no one sane takes seriously as the assembly elections draw near.
Plenty of the garbage spewed by politicians is playing to the gallery. Plenty of it isn't. Him being an anti-GFA TUV extremist I'll hazard a guess that it's the latter that applies in this case.

Applesisapples

Unfortunately Unionism is continuously involved in these so called sham fights. Its called not an inch. It is possible for a statelet to have alternative nationalities. The Baltic states for example have ethnic Russian populations. Just so happens we are ethnically Irish for the most part, even a large block of unionists would be ethnically Irish. There are no positive examples of Unionists being generous to the so called "minority", but on the other hand SF and the SDLP bend over backways to be positive and generous.

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on January 21, 2016, 11:30:39 AM
Its to sideline idiots like Boyd that there is a need for a new party here to emphasise commonality and stop feeding divisiveness.
Haven't ye Alliance and the attempt of NI 21 that you and the rest of those who feel like you can join??