Leinster Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 11, 2018, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAA-SMART

Great Result. Well done to Players / Management

Gmac

Quote from: Gmac on May 23, 2019, 01:53:52 AM
Laois odds of losing 3 times in 3/4 months to same opposition have to be pretty slim
What are the bookies saying ?
[/quote stats do not lie 3 times in a row to Westmeath doesn't happen well done Laois

Nameless

Great result and performance. We battled hard and deserved the win. When Timmons went off early, we had 3 defenders making their championship debuts. That our defence was so strong and only conceded 10 points tells a lot. I thought Booth had an excellent game as did our two young wing backs. O'Loughlin had a strong game but seemed to tire in the second half, many players did in fairness as it was hot on the pitch. O'Reilly and O'Connor did some amount of running, up and down the pitch, great effort.
It was a strange enough game in that not a lot of ball went into the full forward lines because of the wind. Paul Kingston did well with the limited ball he got and O'Carroll was superb again. Scully had a great game when he came on at half time. His direct running style causes teams problems. We telegraphed our kick outs for Quigley when he came on and Westmeath mopped them up. Lowry was lively on his introduction and scored a great point and Donie got on some ball and his composure helped us over the line.
Meath will be a massive step up. Hopefully, we'll have players back fit. Attride should be as should Donie. I'd say Timmons is unlikely but Begley should be ok. Then Collins and Cahilane are maybes. It has to be said though, with some players having such good games, it's going to be hard to get back on the team for some.

High Fielder

That was some team performance. Those lads worked their asses off for the jersey today. I have to be honest and say I didn't expect much heading over. I should have had more faith. This man Sugrue is a cute hoor. He let them win the battles and all the time the plot to win the war was being worked on. Some of their star men were nullified today. And just to make it sweeter, we had plenty to contend with injury wise. I have so much respect for Heslin and Martin because they deserve it. They are good enough to play in the best of teams. But it was nicer watching them hit brick wall after brick wall and Dillon throwing himself at everything that looked threatening. I love what these lads are doing for the jersey and fair play to everyone involved.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on May 26, 2019, 09:20:52 PM
That was some team performance. Those lads worked their asses off for the jersey today. I have to be honest and say I didn't expect much heading over. I should have had more faith. This man Sugrue is a cute hoor. He let them win the battles and all the time the plot to win the war was being worked on. Some of their star men were nullified today. And just to make it sweeter, we had plenty to contend with injury wise. I have so much respect for Heslin and Martin because they deserve it. They are good enough to play in the best of teams. But it was nicer watching them hit brick wall after brick wall and Dillon throwing himself at everything that looked threatening. I love what these lads are doing for the jersey and fair play to everyone involved.
Well said

Brandon

Surprised Ross Didn't come on very upset over that. First Championship game he hasn't played since he started off in 2003.

Tony

Why would you get upset over that. This isn't a testimonial game. It's a serious championship game. No room for sentiment, best team plays, full stop.
Brilliant, gritty performance by these lads. Absolutely agree with everything high fielder said. The workrate and effort all put in was immense! So proud to support this team. Huge pride in the jersey. Amazing lads, all of them. Thank you to all, including management. That's a big improvement since the league, best performance all year. Meath will be a step up but we'll enjoy tonight and we won't fear them either.

Don Draper

Quote from: Brandon on May 26, 2019, 11:01:53 PM
Surprised Ross Didn't come on very upset over that. First Championship game he hasn't played since he started off in 2003.
Ross doesn't want your pity, nor token gestures

thejuice

Meath team that played Laois in December
Andrew Colgan; Seamus Lavin, Bryan Menton, Ronan Ryan; James McEntee, Donal Keoghan, Gavin McCoy; Sean Tobin, Adam Flanagan; Daniel Quinn, Darragh Campion, Bryan McMahon; James Conlon, Mickey Newman, Thomas O'Reilly.

Meath team that played Carlow on Saturday
Andrew Colgan; Seamus Lavin, Conor McGill, Shane Gallagher; Padraic Harnan, Donal Keogan, Gavin McCoy; Bryan Menton, Adam Flanagan; Cillian O'Sullivan, Bryan McMahon, Ben Brennan; Sean Tobin, Mickey Newman, Thomas O'Reilly.

As you'll see we've been at playing near full strength all year long to try get promoted. Our fitness levels were near championship levels in December. So I imagine things are much closer now in terms of fitness.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

GAA-SMART

All Ireland Qualifier draw Rd. 1 - @louthgaa v @AontroimGAA @TipperaryGAA v @OfficialDownGAA @LeitrimGAA v @wicklowgaa @OfficialWexGAA v @derry @Offaly_GAA v @LondainGAA @monaghangaa v @FermanaghGAA @Carlow_GAA v @OfficialLDGAA /@KildareGAA @westmeath_gaa v @WaterfordGAA

Some interesting games there- Monaghan v Fermanagh will be tasty enough- Derry wont like having to travel to Wexford Park- even tho Wexford are pure muck Derry arent much better.

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Countyminor

In general the game was a disappointment as a spectacle. John's a shrewd hoor, we learnt our lessons and didn't play into their hands. I think Dinny Booth proved myself and quite a few more wrong. Dillon outstanding. All debutants acquitted themselves really well. To lose someone like Timmons and still hold the opposition scoreless for about 15 minutes more, albeit with wind advantage, is some going. Very proud of this group, they are as honest and as hard working as it gets. Onto Croker, albeit a big improvement needed.

Special mention to Dicey. So happy to see him back and firing, worked his arse off all day. Some going for a lad who's only played 2 or 3 competitive games in a year.

les Antiques

Nullifying Heslin and in particular Kierans Martins general involvement yesterday was executed superbly.  I just wonder will we have similiar plan against meath with just under 2 weeks preparation.!?  Anyway I still we will give Meath a good rattle .
Timmons definitely out ?

Brandon

Evan O' Carroll in last 3 for footballer of the week. Keep It Up Evan great stuff.

SCFC

Quote from: thejuice on May 27, 2019, 08:37:39 AM
Meath team that played Laois in December
Andrew Colgan; Seamus Lavin, Bryan Menton, Ronan Ryan; James McEntee, Donal Keoghan, Gavin McCoy; Sean Tobin, Adam Flanagan; Daniel Quinn, Darragh Campion, Bryan McMahon; James Conlon, Mickey Newman, Thomas O'Reilly.

Meath team that played Carlow on Saturday
Andrew Colgan; Seamus Lavin, Conor McGill, Shane Gallagher; Padraic Harnan, Donal Keogan, Gavin McCoy; Bryan Menton, Adam Flanagan; Cillian O'Sullivan, Bryan McMahon, Ben Brennan; Sean Tobin, Mickey Newman, Thomas O'Reilly.

As you'll see we've been at playing near full strength all year long to try get promoted. Our fitness levels were near championship levels in December. So I imagine things are much closer now in terms of fitness.
Welcome to the Laois page. Interesting to see how your team has been quite strong all year.
We still probably don't know our best 15 and it's strange to be going into a Leinster semi final with so many questions over the team.
Timmons and Attride would be massive pluses for us if right for Sunday week. Collins would be good cover. Big Donie? I just don't know anymore. Class footballer but just not fit enough for the real top level.