Another PR disaster

Started by sligoman2, April 23, 2019, 11:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Any word on what grounds the club are appealing? It might shed some more light on why this panned out they did

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on April 26, 2019, 06:13:46 PM
I believe the gaa should take a good hard look at their rule books and amend for the 21st century.  Words like reasonable,exceptional circumstances,delegation and good faith etc.. might be appropriate in some areas.  If you don't change you get left behind quickly, what was sensible in 1956 might not be seen as sensible today and changes might be needed to accommodate the present day environment.  Common sense should always be an option when it makes sense and the rule books do not.

Common sense. Does that cover when a club applies for permission, under a rule which has been modified over the years, is refused permission twice but decides to go ahead without permission?

What would be the legal/insurance situation if someone broke their leg in that soccer match? If such a scenario arose and the injured person sued the GAA we'd have the same people saying - oh the GAA should have had everything in place beforehand....need to be more professional....etc.

I'd be fairly sure the reasons the applications were refused could have been addressed but clearly they weren't.

Rossfan

I still wonder why they couldn't have played a football (gaelic) game on the GAA pitch?
Why had it to be soccer?
From my long time ago memory of those parts  of Donegal there are pretty decent soccer pitches all around.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rionach 4

It saddens me greatly to see Gaa people tear and be torn apart over something that really could have been avoided. I am chairperson of my club for many years now and as such in this instance would have carefully studied the situation with my committee re the request etc. We as a club would have examined all the pro's and cons and the fall-out from the eventual decision to either refuse or go ahead. As chairperson I could not stand over knowingly breaking the rules of the association whether I agree with them or not.

For insurance reasons and others etc the buck would stop with me chairperson of the club. I would accept the committee decision but I would make it quite clear that as Cathaoirleach I cannot preside over the decision to go ahead and play the games even though in my heart I would have the greatest sympathy and support for the family and person in question . Unfortunately the Gaa decision has placed me in this position and I either step down or abide by it. 

I would approach the family and explain carefully the situation however unpalatable it may be and offer every ounce of support in every other way possible.  I could not and never will countenance the F%%%k you approach we will do what we want.

I want to make it clear this is no reflection on that particular clubs committee or chairperson. I would definitely not wish this particular scenario on any club.

Dougal Maguire

Is the insurance that rigidly worded that it only covers Gaelic sports?
Careful now

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2019, 11:38:48 AM
I believe the gaa should take a good hard look at their rule books and amend for the 21st century.  Words like reasonable,exceptional circumstances,delegation and good faith etc.. might be appropriate in some areas.  If you don't change you get left behind quickly, what was sensible in 1956 might not be seen as sensible today and changes might be needed to accommodate the present day environment.  Common sense should always be an option when it makes sense and the rule books do not.

Common sense. Does that cover when a club applies for permission, under a rule which has been modified over the years, is refused permission twice but decides to go ahead without permission?

What would be the legal/insurance situation if someone broke their leg in that soccer match? If such a scenario arose and the injured person sued the GAA we'd have the same people saying - oh the GAA should have had everything in place beforehand....need to be more professional....etc.

I'd be fairly sure the reasons the applications were refused could have been addressed but clearly they weren't.

Why would someone sue the GAA if they broke their leg on a soccer pitch?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2019, 12:07:07 PM
I still wonder why they couldn't have played a football (gaelic) game on the GAA pitch?
Why had it to be soccer?
From my long time ago memory of those parts  of Donegal there are pretty decent soccer pitches all around.

Have we not established that the soccer was played on a soccer pitch, the issue is they all retired to a GAA clubhouse for refreshments.

Rossfan

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2019, 07:24:14 PM
More disinformation?
It appears you were, but its ok. Nobody expects better

Rossfan

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 28, 2019, 09:23:01 PM
More disinformation?
You're the only one claiming it was about refreshments ;)

macdanger2

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 28, 2019, 05:19:14 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2019, 12:07:07 PM
Why had it to be soccer?

Have we not established that the soccer was played on a soccer pitch, the issue is they all retired to a GAA clubhouse for refreshments.

When was this established?  ::)

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2019, 09:39:43 PM
More disinformation?
No I am not. Read the thread

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2019, 09:39:43 PM
More disinformation?
I'm trying to think of a similar set up in Roscommon.
Maybe four roads, but that's a community pitch.
Cam Celtic? Again, not a GAA club.

dublin7

There was a Donegal journalist on the radio at the weekend discussing this. Turns out they only played one game and not a tournament. It was one part of a series of events that for a parish of 1,500 people raised €85,000. Thast's an incredible effort that has been overshadowed by a complaint put in by a small minded individual who still hasn't come forward to say why he/she complained to the county board. Instead we have a man with MND apologising for people who without asking volunteered/fundraised on his behalf. That's just f**ked up

magpie seanie

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 28, 2019, 05:17:37 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on April 28, 2019, 11:38:48 AM

Why would someone sue the GAA if they broke their leg on a soccer pitch?

I shouldn't engage with you becasue you can't have missed this unless you did so deliberately but I'll make an exception in this case.

Who has the lease on the soccer pitch? The GAA club. Can you join the dots now?