Who says subs are no use!

Started by Jinxy, September 14, 2015, 08:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Athlone footballer "brought back from the dead"

There were dramatic scenes before this evening's Westmeath IFC semi-final in Cusack Park when Athlone substitute Cathal Joyce collapsed on the pitch.

It's believed the youngster's heart stopped for several seconds before he was resuscitated by medics who used a defibrillator. Cathal was taken to hospital where he is recovering after his near-death experience.

One of the first to come to Cathal's aid was his brother and Athlone team physio James Joyce.

"Cathal collapsed in the warm-up after suffering a cardiac arrest," Athlone PRO Brian Melinn told hoganstand.com

"There's a good chance he would not have survived but for the quick thinking and swift action of Dr Patrick Boland, who was a sub on the Rosemount team, and one of our subs, Colm O'Leary, who's a Garda trained in CPR. The club is extremely grateful for their assistance."

The Athlone team later made a Lazarus-like recovery themselves to reach the IFC final. Trailing by 0-2 to 2-5 at half-time, they scored an unanswered 1-8 in the second half to win by 1-10 to 2-5, with the winning goal coming from an injury-time penalty scored by county star John Connellan.

"It was some comeback from the lads, but what happened to Cathal beforehand really puts things into perspective," Brian added.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=244082
If you were any use you'd be playing.

imtommygunn

They played the game regardless??

shark

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 14, 2015, 09:13:51 AM

Yep. And Athlone, the affected team, found themselves 9 points down at half time despite being unbackable favourites. They came back to win in the end though.

Edit: I see it says all that in the article already.

imtommygunn

You would have expected the game to be postponed I'd have thought.

Wouldn't exactly put you in the frame of mind to play a game when one of your team-mates drops to the ground and near dies with a heart attack!

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on September 14, 2015, 09:22:02 AM

Yep. And Athlone, the affected team, found themselves 9 points down at half time despite being unbackable favourites. They came back to win in the end though.

Strong wind shark?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 14, 2015, 09:25:49 AM
You would have expected the game to be postponed I'd have thought.

Wouldn't exactly put you in the frame of mind to play a game when one of your team-mates drops to the ground and near dies with a heart attack!

This is Westmeath, Tommy.
They're savages.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 14, 2015, 11:58:03 AM

Strong wind shark?

No, not at all. Two extremely sloppy goals early on for Rosemount. Athlone were much the better once they shook of their early malaise. Will probably win Leinster, as let's be honest they never should have been down Intermediate in the first place.

AZOffaly

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on September 14, 2015, 02:55:58 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on September 14, 2015, 11:58:03 AM

Strong wind shark?

No, not at all. Two extremely sloppy goals early on for Rosemount. Athlone were much the better once they shook of their early malaise. Will probably win Leinster, as let's be honest they never should have been down Intermediate in the first place.

Heads can't have been right so after the near miss beforehand. Will be a long winter in Rosemount after not scoring in the second half. Yep AZ, Athlone's first team. Injury time penalty to win it apparently, that should take care of complacency for the rest of the year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

shark

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 14, 2015, 02:58:57 PM
This is Athlone's first team?

Yes indeed. Haven't threatened the senior championship for a long time, but relegation came out of the blue. At least from my perspective as an outsider.

galwayman

How did Moate All Whites do in intermediate this year?

shark

Quote from: galwayman on September 14, 2015, 03:11:49 PM
How did Moate All Whites do in intermediate this year?

Lost in 1/4 final to Tubberclair by 1 point. Good year for them after only going up. All their best players are u21. Should be back senior within about 3/4 years.