126 (70.4%)
No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

TheClubman

The bottom line is - the rules do not allow it. And if we're suggesting rules should be broken when it suits us I'd suggest that's a large part of the problem with this country....everyone believes they're "an exception" or "a one-off" and should get favourable treatment. That's basically the system we're used to under FF/FG and co but it's not right.

I'd suggest the people who are outraged use their energy to put motions through GAA clubs and get the rules changed at congress. It's a long time since the old rule 42 was amended to allow rugby and soccer into Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped. I've seen or heard of no motion to further relax the rules being defeated. We can't have rule changes by media outcry. There's a process. For all its faults it has stood the GAA in good stead. The agenda can't be set by the news reel.

dublin7

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2018, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 11:04:25 AM
It won't make any difference to the outcome but I think we could have done without Damien Duff's comments yesterday.

I think it needed to be said!

This is not 1916! Time for the GAA to grow up!

What are they protecting anymore?

I think he just came out and getsaid what a lot of people are thinking. Looking at what has happened with this and the newbridge fiasco there's a disconnect between those at the top and those volunteering/involved at local level.

Kildare co board chairman was apparently giving out it was cian o'Neill doing the interviews/rte news and not him

spuds

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 11:49:30 AM
Quote from: spuds on July 25, 2018, 09:43:07 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 25, 2018, 01:44:26 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 01:38:12 AM
Tell me about the GAA games in Tallaght Stadium.
Tell me Shamrocks haven't got a sweetheart deal.

Cuman na mbun Scoil regularly played there.

Google is your friend.

https://www.dublingaa.ie/news/finals-day-success-in-dublin-feile-na-ngael

Of course rovers got a good deal, undeservedly, but its unquestionably worked for the area and makes a profit. But the facility is in constant use from corporate gigs to car boot sales and loads of sports.  I think the Gaels need to back off that one, history hasnt been kind to Thomas Davis on that one.

I think we all know what would happen if a local gaa club approached the council to use the place for a fundraiser.
Is this the municipal facility that is too small for a 15 a side football or hurling game to be played on? Is that inclusive or exclusive I wonder.
Thats smaller things can fit in bigger things and not vice versa.

The pount remains, the GAA have zero problem using other codes grounds while retaining rule 42.  That in itself is an issue
An issue for whom?

Local GAA clubs not being able to use Tallaght stadium for an under 16 or adult game is exclusive. This was pointed out at time when council could have acted. Thomas Davis were correct to object being left outside the gate while a professional soccer team get a free stadium. How much fundraising did Rovers do to help fund said stadium? How much fundraising & borrowings did GAA provide for PuC reconstruction?

Was it the GAA that organised the fundraiser in Belfast? Is it the FAI that are organising the fundraiser in Cork?

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Jinxy

When he says it the day of a meeting to find a resolution, and uses broad terms, such as 'gaelic people', it comes across as opportunistic.
Especially the bit about how it doesn't make a difference what the GAA do now, the damage is done.
Surely the objective here is to raise as much money as possible for cancer research?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

"Hello, I want to use your house next weekend "
"I don't think I can let you have it"
"You're a fkn dinosaur"
Talk about scuppering you're chances!!!!
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

spuds

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2018, 12:17:24 PM
I live in rural Ireland. There is an underlying disdain for Soccer (among a large contingent). It is seen as a British game. I hear it all the time in idle comments and actions. I know lads who would never think of exposing their Sons and Daughters to playing Competitive Soccer even though they play the game week in week out in the school yard. Soccer is blamed for the bad things that happen in a game of Gaelic football.

We get asked ''Why doesn't Irealnd have a proper soccer structure like say Norway, Croatia or Sweeden? ''

Could be to do with the RC Church in the early days of our Nations foundation.The RC Churches ruled the Parishes and Schools. (John Giles talks of being made feel not Irish for playing Soccer in a Christian Brothers School). (Norway, Croatia or Sweeden don't have this problem)

Could be to do with the game being seen as British and our trying to move away from all things British (Norway, Croatia or Sweeden don't have this problem).

Could it have to do with the Ban up to the early 70's. 95% of Soccer Clubs in Mayo were founded in the 70's and 80's. In regards GAA Clubs. I'd say 5% were founded in 70's and 80's. (Norway, Croatia or Sweeden don't have this problem)

95% of Soccer in Ireland is AMATEUR! Bar a few clubs (20) in the Cities and big towns. All the Clubs in Mayo are AMATEUR. It bugs me when a multi-million organisation like the GAA play the Amateur Beal Biocht card, as if money is not an object needed to run their organisation. Some of the best volunteers in sporting organisations are involved in Soccer.

The Mayo FA has to be one of the best ran districts in the country. It has it's faults. But it more often than not punches above its weight for the structures and product it tries to promote. Much of it's work goes unnoticed as there are not many ways to gain the exposure that the Intercounty team gets for it counter part.

Soccer club very close to you are paying half their team. Is this considered AMATEUR? They sell a lot of lotto tickets, not sure where else they get money.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

trailer

Quote from: dublin7 on July 25, 2018, 12:37:22 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on July 25, 2018, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 25, 2018, 11:04:25 AM
It won't make any difference to the outcome but I think we could have done without Damien Duff's comments yesterday.

I think it needed to be said!

This is not 1916! Time for the GAA to grow up!

What are they protecting anymore?

I think he just came out and getsaid what a lot of people are thinking. Looking at what has happened with this and the newbridge fiasco there's a disconnect between those at the top and those volunteering/involved at local level.

Kildare co board chairman was apparently giving out it was cian o'Neill doing the interviews/rte news and not him

Tell me about this disconnect. You do realise those people are members of clubs and do a huge amount of work in their local clubs. Are their clubs disconnected from the rest of the country? Where is this disconnect? You're just rehashing something you heard in the media 'about a disconnect'.
The GAA got the Newbridge thing wrong. But they rectified it.

Damien Duff went down hugely in my estimation. He came across very bitter.

sid waddell

Quote from: TheClubman on July 25, 2018, 12:35:38 PM
The bottom line is - the rules do not allow it. And if we're suggesting rules should be broken when it suits us I'd suggest that's a large part of the problem with this country....everyone believes they're "an exception" or "a one-off" and should get favourable treatment. That's basically the system we're used to under FF/FG and co but it's not right.

I'd suggest the people who are outraged use their energy to put motions through GAA clubs and get the rules changed at congress. It's a long time since the old rule 42 was amended to allow rugby and soccer into Croke Park while Lansdowne Road was being redeveloped. I've seen or heard of no motion to further relax the rules being defeated. We can't have rule changes by media outcry. There's a process. For all its faults it has stood the GAA in good stead. The agenda can't be set by the news reel.
The rule is an ass. It always has been. It was an ass 20 years ago when the GAA made fools of themselves over the Omagh match and it is an ass now. It's an ass like "The Ban" was an ass.

What this needs is for people in Cork GAA to stand up and have a bit of courage and to take on and flagrantly break the rule. Let the GAA discipline them if they so wish. They'll just be proving Damien Duff 100% correct.

Read the statement from the club chairman in Wexford detailing how his club are constantly breaking the rules. Let the GAA go and discipline him and his club if they want to prove they are dinosaurs once and for all.

Solo_run

Love the way pro footballers like Andy Reid and Damien Duff are mouthing off to the newspapers about an amateur organisation.

sid waddell

Quote from: spuds on July 25, 2018, 12:42:15 PM

Google is your friend.

Of course rovers got a good deal, undeservedly, but its unquestionably worked for the area and makes a profit. But the facility is in constant use from corporate gigs to car boot sales and loads of sports.  I think the Gaels need to back off that one, history hasnt been kind to Thomas Davis on that one.

I think we all know what would happen if a local gaa club approached the council to use the place for a fundraiser.
Is this the municipal facility that is too small for a 15 a side football or hurling game to be played on? Is that inclusive or exclusive I wonder.

The pount remains, the GAA have zero problem using other codes grounds while retaining rule 42.  That in itself is an issue
An issue for whom?

Local GAA clubs not being able to use Tallaght stadium for an under 16 or adult game is exclusive. This was pointed out at time when council could have acted. Thomas Davis were correct to object being left outside the gate while a professional soccer team get a free stadium. How much fundraising did Rovers do to help fund said stadium? How much fundraising & borrowings did GAA provide for PuC reconstruction?

Was it the GAA that organised the fundraiser in Belfast? Is it the FAI that are organising the fundraiser in Cork?
Do you object when under 16 games are not played in Croke Park?

Do you object to taxpayers' funds going towards building the new Lansdowne Road?

What about taxpayers funding a new indoor athletics track? Should that new indoor athletics track be expected to stage under 16 GAA games too?

Should any infrastructure funded by public money be expected to hold under 16 GAA games? How about the National Conference Centre, or motorways?

sid waddell

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
"You're a fkn dinosaur"
Is that the best you can come up with?

I remember backwoodsmen like yourself using the same dumb, failed analogy during the Rule 42 debate.

No offence, but only people with an IQ of under 70 resort to such tripe.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: sid waddell on July 25, 2018, 01:15:47 PM

The rule is an ass. It always has been. It was an ass 20 years ago when the GAA made fools of themselves over the Omagh match and it is an ass now. It's an ass like "The Ban" was an ass.

What this needs is for people in Cork GAA to stand up and have a bit of courage and to take on and flagrantly break the rule. Let the GAA discipline them if they so wish. They'll just be proving Damien Duff 100% correct.

Read the statement from the club chairman in Wexford detailing how his club are constantly breaking the rules. Let the GAA go and discipline him and his club if they want to prove they are dinosaurs once and for all.

You say the gaa made a fool of themselves 20 years ago over Omagh. Did the soccer match not go ahead and there was issues over money going missing and very little if anything went to charity? On the other hand the gaa donated the full gate receipts from an All Ireland semi final replay which amounted to a substantial amount?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2018, 12:43:46 PM
"You're a fkn dinosaur"
Thats special needs.

If the state paid you 40% of the build cost on the explicit understanding you share it one weekend a year, then yes, you are at fault

sid waddell

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on July 25, 2018, 01:38:34 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 25, 2018, 01:15:47 PM

You say the gaa made a fool of themselves 20 years ago over Omagh. Did the soccer match not go ahead and there was issues over money going missing and very little if anything went to charity? On the other hand the gaa donated the full gate receipts from an All Ireland semi final replay which amounted to a substantial amount?
Of course the GAA made fools of themselves over Omagh. The match couldn't be played in Healy Park because of a backward rule which is an absolute embarrassment to the GAA.

Tyrone brought a motion the next year and it got nowhere.

This isn't about taxpayers' money, or what happened to charity money, or idiotic supermarket analogies.

It's about not being d**kheads.

It's about the complete stupidity of a rule that refuses to allow local GAA units and local communities to decide what is best for them and their communities.

Until the GAA as a whole admits the futility and stupidity of the rule, they will continue to be d**kheads.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: spuds on July 25, 2018, 12:42:15 PM

Google is your friend.

An issue for whom?

An adult pitch doesnt fit. To make it fit would have had to reduce the capacity bu 70% and triple the costs. Waste of everyone's time and money. If I recall Rovers had put a million in,  it was far from 'free'. But thats done and gone.

But the hypocrisy, which is now being played out in the media and politicians are jumping in, is that the GAA are happy to use soccer and rugby grounds, to the point of demanding free access on their terms in court, but wont share their venues. This becomes amplified when its a no to charity in apparant violation of the agreement over funding.

This should have all been put to bed after the Omagh debacle