snooker world championship

Started by anportmorforjfc, April 09, 2007, 01:13:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: ONeill on January 14, 2024, 11:29:43 PMWasn't aware of the needle but it was there ok in the interviews afterwards.

Hard to keep up with who he has needle with. He had the same with Murphy in the earlier rounds too and I'm suer there are a few more.

square_ball

Ronnie one of my favourite sportsmen but he is a bit of a dick the way he goes on in interviews. Always having a whinge and a moan about something.

toby47

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 14, 2024, 11:55:32 PM
Quote from: An Watcher on January 14, 2024, 10:49:20 PMRonnie the A hole does it again.  Undoubted talent but the sooner he retires the better. 

It will be a sad day when Ronnie no longer plays snooker. Does things we will never see again on a snooker table

Totally agree. Snooker won't get half the pull when he retires. Carter v Murphy wouldn't exactly captivate me on a Sunday evening.

mrdeeds

His documentary is excellent and well worth a watch.

From the Bunker

Ronnie's Longevity is something else. Especially his bouts of boredom, Lack of motivation, Mental problems on his professional snooker journey. Snooker requires not only technical skill, but you must also be mentally strong. Most players lose this mental strength as they get older.

Despite the outward appearance that Ronnie tries to portray, he works hard at keeping himself at a top player. He realised years ago that physical fitness is important for to maintain a good game.

Snooker has hit a limbo in regards to new players bursting onto the scene. This can only be an advantage to Ronnie in maintaining his longevity.

Milltown Row2

Ronnie is marmite

He does his own thing, he's not going to say all the right things and his snooker is off the chart so he doesn't have to go out of his way for sponsorship and the like, they come to him.

Some one said the best British sportsman, I struggle to put snooker, pool and darts into that category of 'sports'
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

square_ball

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 15, 2024, 11:18:25 AMRonnie's Longevity is something else. Especially his bouts of boredom, Lack of motivation, Mental problems on his professional snooker journey. Snooker requires not only technical skill, but you must also be mentally strong. Most players lose this mental strength as they get older.

Despite the outward appearance that Ronnie tries to portray, he works hard at keeping himself at a top player. He realised years ago that physical fitness is important for to maintain a good game.

Snooker has hit a limbo in regards to new players bursting onto the scene. This can only be an advantage to Ronnie in maintaining his longevity.

I don't think its hit a limbo in so much as it has hit a brick wall. Look at the current top 32 I think there may be one or two of the Chinese are in their 20s and Brecel and then the rest are late 30s and 40s. There is zero new talent coming through. O'Sullivan and Hendry albeit generational talents were winning big tournaments in their teens. I think snooker has a huge problem and is showing no signs of rectifying this issue they have.

O'Sullivan is obviously the best of all time but a 48 year old shouldn't be dominating the game the way he is at the minute.

Dunsilly King

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 15, 2024, 11:24:19 AMRonnie is marmite

He does his own thing, he's not going to say all the right things and his snooker is off the chart so he doesn't have to go out of his way for sponsorship and the like, they come to him.

Some one said the best British sportsman, I struggle to put snooker, pool and darts into that category of 'sports'

what category would you put it into?

Armagh18

Quote from: Dunsilly King on January 15, 2024, 11:44:35 AM

Pub games?

mouview

Like any other sport, it requires talent, dedication, perseverance and mental fortitude to excel at it. It's milieu mightn't always be the most salubrious but the top players put in the endless hours of practise to get ahead.

It's easy to tire of Ronnie and his constant griping about something, but he's undoubtedly one of the greatest of all sportsmen, given his success, ability, longevity and still-primacy in relation to his peers, even now in the later stages of his career.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunsilly King on January 15, 2024, 11:44:35 AM

Any sport that (back in the day) you can play while downing 10 pints doesn't seem right..

At no point am I taking away the skill level, the dedication required, the hours put in and the mental effort needed

I would have been in the snooker halls back when I was young, loved it and would have been, ok, 57 break was my highest (not a lot lol) but fluffed my lines when in control!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

This Carter/Ronnie stuff seems to have escalated since
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Armagh18

Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2024, 10:03:52 AMThis Carter/Ronnie stuff seems to have escalated since
Thought it very cringey at the time. Both players missed shots you wouldn't have expected them too.

Whats happened now?

mouview

Quote from: Armagh18 on January 17, 2024, 10:05:55 AM
Quote from: ONeill on January 17, 2024, 10:03:52 AMThis Carter/Ronnie stuff seems to have escalated since
Thought it very cringey at the time. Both players missed shots you wouldn't have expected them too.

Whats happened now?

Each accusing the other of having mental difficulties. Very public and unseemly. The WPBSA need to step in and tell them to cool it.

statto

Ronnie while being the GOAT is an arrogant so and so, who I could never warm too.  The class of 92  Higgins and Williams always come across as decent lads.  Carter has went through a tough time with cancer previously, but always thought he was a dose as well both from the same area as well.  Was hoping Allen would win Saturday night as Sundays final was a case of wanting both to lose!