Cryptocurrency

Started by gallsman, September 01, 2017, 02:36:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

No it's not costing you anything sitting there. There is a network fee if you move it to a wallet or another exchange.

As I said above you could earn interest on it somewhere else if it's just sitting there but obviously you should find out if what you would gain would offset the cost of moving it.

If it's on Coinbase and you don't want to move it you could swap some of it for Algorand (ALGO) or Tezos (XTZ). Coinbase are paying interest on those if you hold them there. Algorand is doing really well price wise lately.

Not financial advice.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

lfdown2

Quote from: thejuice on February 12, 2021, 12:00:28 PM
No it's not costing you anything sitting there. There is a network fee if you move it to a wallet or another exchange.

As I said above you could earn interest on it somewhere else if it's just sitting there but obviously you should find out if what you would gain would offset the cost of moving it.

If it's on Coinbase and you don't want to move it you could swap some of it for Algorand (ALGO) or Tezos (XTZ). Coinbase are paying interest on those if you hold them there. Algorand is doing really well price wise lately.

Not financial advice.

So, what your saying is put everything I have in to magic beans...done!

Cheers, i'll probably just let it rest in my account so, as mentioned it's a small sum.

thejuice

It's all about the Digital magic beans these days.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

gallsman

Quote from: gallsman on December 31, 2020, 12:49:29 AM
Bitcoin about to go past 30k USD.

Bitcoin at 52k. Was 5k about a year ago. Crazy. And completely unsustainable, but when?

Even if you bought in when it went first went past its previous ATH in December you'd still have nearly tripled your money by now.

DrinkingHarp

Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

gallsman

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on February 18, 2021, 08:34:33 AM
This guy....

https://abc7chicago.com/stefan-thomas-bitcoin-password-san-francisco/9652903/

Quite a few stories like that out there. They was one in the UK a few years ago of a guy coming through a landfill to try and find a wallet he threw out.

And of course, there's the guy who bought the 10,000 BTC pizza...

JohnDenver

Quote from: gallsman on February 18, 2021, 08:11:11 AM

Bitcoin at 52k. Was 5k about a year ago. Crazy. And completely unsustainable, but when?

Even if you bought in when it went first went past its previous ATH in December you'd still have nearly tripled your money by now.

Do you mean when will it level out, or even crash?

What's your current position on it. It's been quite popular topic on recent podcasts. Listened to a few, David McWilliams, and an episode on the The Stand with Dunphy.  You get conflicting views on it's long term viability.

I'm of the "missed the boat" mindset now regarding investing.

clarshack

Quote from: JohnDenver on February 18, 2021, 09:26:38 AM

What's your current position on it. It's been quite popular topic on recent podcasts. Listened to a few, David McWilliams, and an episode on the The Stand with Dunphy.  You get conflicting views on it's long term viability.

You haven't missed the boat if you can find the right altcoin.

imtommygunn

Bitcoin went up a good bit yesterday. XRP has dipped a bit. Hopefully still some mileage in it yet.

gallsman

I mean the rate of the growth of it. I think it'll keep appreciating but there'll be many more dips and crashes before it settles down and is a reliable store of value.

imtommygunn

It's definitely not good for the blood pressure lol

tiempo

Quote from: gallsman on February 18, 2021, 12:08:34 PM

I mean the rate of the growth of it. I think it'll keep appreciating but there'll be many more dips and crashes before it settles down and is a reliable store of value.

Long term hold (5+ years) is how I'm playing it, with sums of money I'm comfortable losing outright, as its a pure gamble at this stage, but looks to be something there in the long term

I'm up 66% in the last 6 weeks

Bitcoin, Ethereum and Crypto.com coin - 2 of the more conventional and an alt

Hard not to feel like missed opportunities the last few years to get ahead of it but no point worrying about that, or chasing it too hard

Its highly volatile and sometimes I catch myself thinking 66% why not 300% ffs! Which is a ridiculous thought process driven by greed.

J70

I listened to Dunphy's podcast with Chris Johns.

I still can't quite wrap my head around cryptocurrency.

And the whole "mining" thing consuming more electricity than some entire nations each year??

trailer

Quote from: tiempo on February 18, 2021, 12:48:56 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 18, 2021, 12:08:34 PM

Long term hold (5+ years) is how I'm playing it, with sums of money I'm comfortable losing outright, as its a pure gamble at this stage, but looks to be something there in the long term

I'm up 66% in the last 6 weeks

Bitcoin, Ethereum and Crypto.com coin - 2 of the more conventional and an alt

Hard not to feel like missed opportunities the last few years to get ahead of it but no point worrying about that, or chasing it too hard

Its highly volatile and sometimes I catch myself thinking 66% why not 300% ffs! Which is a ridiculous thought process driven by greed.

This is basically me. Although I was only using Revolut now moving into Coinbase so definitely will have the house on it any day now.

I'm just using money I am comfortable losing like you said. It's a complete and utter punt. But if I am not a multi millionaire this time next week I will be very disappointed.

gallsman

Long term hold is everybody's plan, bit how many people do you reckon who bought last year at 5k are still holding at 50k? Hard to ignore 10x returns if you've a sizeable chunk in it.